Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 1066

Thread: Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

  1. #881
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,455
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm still not sure why anyone thinks Krieder would take a team friendly deal when he saw what they've just paid 2 players coming in off the market.
    Just wishful thinking and baseless optimism overcoming logic.

  2. #882
    Senior Member Squirt Division jsm7302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NW NJ
    Posts
    457
    Rep Power
    10
    Athletes are human so....if I'm offered a job in Edmonton making significantly more money than my current job but love my life where I live and enjoy the area on top of the kick ass company I work for, I go to my boss and say, these guys offered me a boatload of money to relocate. Can you give me something to make me stay? I love it here but this money would be life changing. In turn the current company gives you a small bump, you continue loving life and edmonton finds a new schlep to try and poach.

    It all comes down to priorities. In those shoes, seeing my future with an up and coming juggernaut with a leadership role for a cup contender in my prime/veteran years, I'm taking that and settling down.

    I'm no where near that status (obviously) but doesnt it get to a point where a few million doesnt change your lifestyle. Proper investments can make up the difference.

  3. #883
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    18,406
    Rep Power
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Just wishful thinking and baseless optimism overcoming logic.
    I don't know about baseless. Truly - have we EVER seen this version of Kreider? Kreider's knock forever has been his consistency. He'd flip-flop from unstoppable to invisible every 7 games.

    The Kreider we're talking about is....not that. He's not gone more than a game without a point since Dec 8 against Vegas. He's got 30 points in his last 28 games. He's making shit happen. He's actually looking like the player we could swear up and down we were getting when we picked him.

    We've seen hot streaks. We've not seen consistent heat from him, ever. This is new, and combined with our sudden ascent in the standings, I think it does complicate the decision - partly because he looks like a guy you want around (finding consistency, beloved in the clubhouse, big leader, etc), but also because when you're on fire like he is, the offers increase.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  4. #884
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    18,406
    Rep Power
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm7302 View Post
    Athletes are human so....if I'm offered a job in Edmonton making significantly more money than my current job but love my life where I live and enjoy the area on top of the kick ass company I work for, I go to my boss and say, these guys offered me a boatload of money to relocate. Can you give me something to make me stay? I love it here but this money would be life changing. In turn the current company gives you a small bump, you continue loving life and edmonton finds a new schlep to try and poach.

    It all comes down to priorities. In those shoes, seeing my future with an up and coming juggernaut with a leadership role for a cup contender in my prime/veteran years, I'm taking that and settling down.

    I'm no where near that status (obviously) but doesnt it get to a point where a few million doesnt change your lifestyle. Proper investments can make up the difference.
    I could see that being a thing, actually. Kreider is known to love it here. I can absolutely see a world where Gorton trades Kreider and tells him he'd love him back in July - come to me with your offers and we'll see what we can do.

    This week is probably the single most important week we've had since the draft lottery - possibly even since the letter. We win all four games this week, and suddenly we're maybe 4 points back, and we might just start thinking about the playoffs being a thing with a game or two in hand. We have at least one soft game against SJ, but we've got a tough Boston team, a desperate Carolina team, and a very desperate Chicago team.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  5. #885
    A-hee-ahee ha-hee BSBH Prospect
    Drew a Penalty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    14,408
    Rep Power
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Not exactly sure how you come to the conclusion that Stepan would sign a long term deal at that price at the time of the bridge deal. In the end they bought UFA years on that one too. Thanks for adding another name to the list.
    This was common knowledge. I like how you completely missed the point of how underpaying can lead to overpaying.

    I guess we can add Lundqvist to the list. Wanna throw more on there? Girardi? Staal?
    Marc Staal went from a 5 year $3.95M deal signed as an RFA to a 5 year deal at $5.7M when he was 28. He was going to be a UFA. How does he fit your argument? Dan Girardi went from a 4 year $3.325M deal signed as an RFA to a 6 year $5.5M when he was . How does he fit your argument? Lundqvist got a one year bridge at $4.25M after his ELC and then signed a 6 year deal for $6.875M. He had three consecutive top 3 Vezina nominations when he signed that deal. His $8.5M deal came when he was well old enough to be a UFA.


    This team has a habit of extending their RFAs to deals that are higher in annual and in length than they should.
    I've shown you're wrong in most cases here. Do you forget most of the birdge deals and Sather's reputation for being stingy? Do you understand how factors like age and arbitration play into how players sign deals?

    I think the amount of cap space held in buy outs should be evidence enough to prove that.
    None of those contracts were signed while they were RFAs as shown above. Wrong.


    I'm sure there are examples for other teams where they over do it in these situations. I'm sorry I'm not providing them.
    Because you don't have real ones.


    I don't recall saying RFAs are getting more than UFAs. Just that they are getting UFA money at younger ages. Hence the whole buying UFA years phrase I keep using. It's a gamble when they do so on younger players such as the Skjei situation. But that's exactly what I'm talking about. You get the younger players for term IF you add extra so they don't hit UFA on your time.
    Most of the players signing big RFA deals are only having around 2 years of UFA bought up if at all.

    Some teams do a better job than others. Somehow the Rangers overpay their mediocre guys, while Boston can get their top tier kids locked in at mediocre prices.. Buyouts aren't just for UFA screw ups. We are entering a time where teams are going to be buying out more and more players just to squeeze the talent (young and old) onto the roster.
    The Bruins signed Marchand to an extension while he was a 60 point player and not a 90 point player. Pastrnak had one 70 point season before they locked him in at $6.66M for 6 years. They just paid early and didn't get burnt. Zibanejad is the same situation.

    That last paragraph makes no sense. It's not about taxes.. But it's about taxes....? The Rangers can piss money because of this? Huh?
    It makes sense. You just don't understand it.

    I think Kreider would take a really team friendly deal.. Leaving money and years on the table. You don't. Can we leave it at that?
    We could.

  6. #886
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,419
    Rep Power
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I don't know about baseless. Truly - have we EVER seen this version of Kreider? Kreider's knock forever has been his consistency. He'd flip-flop from unstoppable to invisible every 7 games.

    The Kreider we're talking about is....not that. He's not gone more than a game without a point since Dec 8 against Vegas. He's got 30 points in his last 28 games. He's making shit happen. He's actually looking like the player we could swear up and down we were getting when we picked him.

    We've seen hot streaks. We've not seen consistent heat from him, ever. This is new, and combined with our sudden ascent in the standings, I think it does complicate the decision - partly because he looks like a guy you want around (finding consistency, beloved in the clubhouse, big leader, etc), but also because when you're on fire like he is, the offers increase.
    Yes and this is all happening at 29, where we know most forwards peak, and I'm not interested in paying long term for a historically inconsistent player who's having a career year at 29 years old.

    It's like we've seen a hundred versions of a movie where our favorite character dies, but we're willing to see it again because it's the Brad Pitt remake hoping this time it will be different...but he still dies at the end....

  7. #887
    Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,643
    Rep Power
    402
    Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich should all re-sign at their current salaries.

    Thanks.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  8. #888
    Senior Member Squirt Division jsm7302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NW NJ
    Posts
    457
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich should all re-sign at their current salaries.

    Thanks.
    True. Problem solved. That was easy.

  9. #889
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,691
    Rep Power
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Just wishful thinking and baseless optimism overcoming logic.
    The fact that he's still here and nothing is being leaked about an extension or any trade possibilities makes me think they are closing in on an extension which would HAVE TO make sense for the team. Only thing that makes sense is a team friendly deal.
    Last edited by The Dude; 02-16-2020 at 11:36 AM.

  10. #890
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,419
    Rep Power
    624
    Sure, if you ignore that the Zucc and Hayes trades went down exactly the same way.

  11. #891
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,455
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I don't know about baseless. Truly - have we EVER seen this version of Kreider? Kreider's knock forever has been his consistency. He'd flip-flop from unstoppable to invisible every 7 games.

    The Kreider we're talking about is....not that. He's not gone more than a game without a point since Dec 8 against Vegas. He's got 30 points in his last 28 games. He's making shit happen. He's actually looking like the player we could swear up and down we were getting when we picked him.

    We've seen hot streaks. We've not seen consistent heat from him, ever. This is new, and combined with our sudden ascent in the standings, I think it does complicate the decision - partly because he looks like a guy you want around (finding consistency, beloved in the clubhouse, big leader, etc), but also because when you're on fire like he is, the offers increase.
    I get your point and while I do agree this may not be the typical Kreider hot streak, keep in mind in the first 28 games (which is a third of the season) he had a whopping 6 goals and 13 total points. That’s an 18 goal, 40 point pace for a full season.
    If he keeps this up, maybe he has taken the step we’ve all been waiting for.

    But if not, then maybe it’s same old Kreider

    Just have to wait and see.
    But I agree that right now he’s probably playing the best hockey of his career

  12. #892
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,181
    Rep Power
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I don't know about baseless. Truly - have we EVER seen this version of Kreider? Kreider's knock forever has been his consistency. He'd flip-flop from unstoppable to invisible every 7 games.

    The Kreider we're talking about is....not that. He's not gone more than a game without a point since Dec 8 against Vegas. He's got 30 points in his last 28 games. He's making shit happen. He's actually looking like the player we could swear up and down we were getting when we picked him.

    We've seen hot streaks. We've not seen consistent heat from him, ever. This is new, and combined with our sudden ascent in the standings, I think it does complicate the decision - partly because he looks like a guy you want around (finding consistency, beloved in the clubhouse, big leader, etc), but also because when you're on fire like he is, the offers increase.
    This is the key. His streaks have almost always been of the shorter variety. Nothing extended. Even when looking at larger sample sizes like last season when he had 31 points in 38 games during the first half of the year. A quick look through the game logs will show some really nice 3 or 4 game stretches followed by 2 or 3 games of nothing. Never consistently game to game like he's been doing for over 2 months now.

    And possibly even more important is I think a good number of his goals this year are not from his speed making it happen, which is one of the traits that will start to deteriorate as he approaches his mid 30s. He is getting and causing unassisted, screened goals just by being around the net or putting himself in a position to shoot. I have long been concerned about what would happen to him when he starts to lose a step, and I was dead set on not having him here past this year. Now he's got me really thinking about moving other money around and signing him again in the summer. At this minute, I think you still have to trade him and reap the benefits now though.
    Last edited by rmc51; 02-16-2020 at 12:23 PM.

  13. #893
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,455
    Rep Power
    37
    There’s 26 games left
    One third

    1st third of season 28 GP 6G 7A 13P
    2nd third of season 28 GP 17G 12A 29P

    Let’s see what he does in this final third

  14. #894
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    11,400
    Rep Power
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes and this is all happening at 29, where we know most forwards peak, and I'm not interested in paying long term for a historically inconsistent player who's having a career year at 29 years old.

    It's like we've seen a hundred versions of a movie where our favorite character dies, but we're willing to see it again because it's the Brad Pitt remake hoping this time it will be different...but he still dies at the end....
    I thought he was 28


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  15. #895
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,419
    Rep Power
    624
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    I thought he was 28


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    29 in April and changes literally nothing in the post.

    Still a career year in a contract year. Still likely to trend down.

  16. #896
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    15,956
    Rep Power
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    The fact that he's still here and nothing is being leaked about an extension or any trade possibilities makes me think they are closing in on an extension which would HAVE TO make sense for the team. Only thing that makes sense is a team friendly deal.
    The first 10 minutes of the NBC pregame was talk about trading him, especially to the Bruins. Do you not have Twitter? Hes linked to numerous teams.
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  17. #897
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    1,455
    Rep Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    The fact that he's still here and nothing is being leaked about an extension or any trade possibilities makes me think they are closing in on an extension which would HAVE TO make sense for the team. Only thing that makes sense is a team friendly deal.
    If there’s no news beyond “we are talking” then in all likelihood they aren’t having substantive discussions, and that’s likely due to them either being far apart, or Kreider just not really wanting the extension but to go to market.

  18. #898
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    11,400
    Rep Power
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    29 in April and changes literally nothing in the post.

    Still a career year in a contract year. Still likely to trend down.
    So he did all this at age 28
    Not 29


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  19. #899
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    80,419
    Rep Power
    624
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    So he did all this at age 28
    Not 29


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Doesn't change anything.

  20. #900
    Senior Member Bantam Division NYRangers723's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,277
    Rep Power
    21
    Still hoping something can be worked out. That line has always has crazy good chemistry and we don’t have somebody to fill that void of the things he does especially in front of the net

Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •