• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st and a GOOD player or GREAT prospect. Not a 4th line slob.

I’d love that kind of return. I just don’t think they’ll get it. Rare that a deadline rental brings that in return. A year ago, maybe.

Frederic and Studnicka more or less qualify as GOOD prospects

If you’re saying a 1st plus a GOOD roster player, that’s probably not going to happen. They’re trying to augment their roster. They’re not over a barrel or outside looking in. They’re an elite team whether they add or not. And they’re not filling a glaring weakness (like Toronto would be on D) so they don’t HAVE to move pieces off their roster or give up an A level prospect to get help.

I’d love that kind of return. I just don’t think they’ll get it. Rare that a deadline rental brings that in return. A year ago, maybe.

Frederic and Studnicka more or less qualify as GOOD prospects

If you’re saying a 1st plus a GOOD roster player, that’s probably not going to happen. They’re trying to augment their roster. They’re not over a barrel or outside looking in. They’re an elite team whether they add or not. And they’re not filling a glaring weakness (like Toronto would be on D) so they don’t HAVE to move pieces off their roster or give up an A level prospect to get help.

This happens every year. "We should get Sergachev and a 1st for McD" etc.

You're not getting a good NHL player and a 1st for a rental. Chris Kreider is a good player, but I'm not sure why we would expect him to bring back a better haul than guys like Stone or Duchene did last season.

You're not getting a good NHL player and a 1st for a rental. Chris Kreider is a good player, but I'm not sure why we would expect him to bring back a better haul than guys like Stone or Duchene did last season.

Agree.

St. Louis really makes the most sense for alot of reasons and I think the best you can get is Thomas and a conditional pick based on if they win a cup or resign him, etc.

Usually rental players on Kreider's level are acquired without giving up a significant piece of a team's current roster. Thomas is a significant piece of STL's roster and still on his ELC through next season. It would be counterproductive of them to do that. They also have no cap space to resign Kreider, so it would definitely be just a rental. The return there is probably more like Kostin and a 1st, with additionals added to make the cap work for STL.

I agree totally

Good young roster players don?t move for rentals

Top prospects don?t move for rentals

A 1st and a B prospect is fair

I'm not "expecting it" but that's what I'd want if I were GM. I don't like the idea of moving Kreider and there is no Stone or Duchene on the market this year. Kreider is the 1A player available, so I'd require a 1A price.

Getting a 4th liner in return would fucking suck, I'm sorry.

Kreider looks sooooooo happy to be at the ASG. Regardless of how he got there, good for him - I don't have a problem with it from the standpoint of 'extra showcasing' for the inevitable trade. Sure, Zib should be the player there instead, but the bigger picture is more important IMO.

Hey big guy!! It's amazing what a hot couple of weeks will do right before the All Star break.

Now we just need him to have a good showing up to and including the Trade Deadline!!!

This is a great commercial for Kreider! We need to get some good piece(s) back for him!!

I gotta call you next week...I know...I've been a stranger!! ;)

If Kreider is willing to do a shorter team deal with a high AAV, who says keep instead of trade? Say, 3-4 years at 8M AAV ?

Exactly what they need to avoid. That third season is the killer at a higher cost. Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox - a year after Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lindgren, Hajek, Rykov, Shesterkin

Not to mention internal equity issues. Now everyone in the top 6 will need $8m +

And the end of the 3 years is when this team is supposed to be entering their prime... so now you lose a key piece at the most important time.

If Kreider is willing to do a shorter team deal with a high AAV, who says keep instead of trade? Say, 3-4 years at 8M AAV ?

The hard part here is that the choice isn't Keep Kreider or Lose Kreider. The choice is really "Kreider or Zibanejad" - because that's the contract you really worry about making work when you've got Panarin making 11.5, Trouba making 8, Kreider making 7, DeAngelo making god knows what, Chytil, Kakko, Fox, Kravtsov, and Shesterkin all on their second deals...and then your 1c due a nice raise.

Exactly what they need to avoid. That third season is the killer at a higher cost. Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox - a year after Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lindgren, Hajek, Rykov, Shesterkin

Not to mention internal equity issues. Now everyone in the top 6 will need $8m +

And the end of the 3 years is when this team is supposed to be entering their prime... so now you lose a key piece at the most important time.

You don't think you could find a taker for trading Kreider if you had to? If he had 1 yr 8 mill left on the deal?

hope We can find some way to keep him. Despite what some say it?s very difficult to replace what Kreider brings on and off the ice. If we can hammer out a 4-5 year deal then we should resign him. Let?s be honest the return for a rental is not gonna be great. We are gonna get a high first rounder 27-31 overall and on ok prospect/young player

Overall I think the issue is cap space for next season when it comes down to it whether to be able to sign Kreider, ADA, Strome, Fast.....Approximately $7.5 million is tied up in dead cap space for next season, and that is the cost of one/two of those players. So, I don't see how its possible that they would be able to sign Kreider for short term but a high AAV.

The hard part here is that the choice isn't Keep Kreider or Lose Kreider. The choice is really "Kreider or Zibanejad" - because that's the contract you really worry about making work when you've got Panarin making 11.5, Trouba making 8, Kreider making 7, DeAngelo making god knows what, Chytil, Kakko, Fox, Kravtsov, and Shesterkin all on their second deals...and then your 1c due a nice raise.

I don't think its a choice between one or the other down the road just b/c a shit ton of cap space will open up after next season when Zibanejad is due for a new contract. Also, will have to assume the cap will continue to go up marginally which would hopefully cover one of the young guys 2nd contract and the Rangers will still have an influx of young guys hopefully coming through on entry deals, and their would be $$$ for Chytil/Shesterkin/Fox, etc....deals

I'm a huge Kreider fan but don't think he's an 8M dollar a year guy under any circumstances. I would think there's a less than zero chance he doesn't get moved if that's what he's looking for. I don't think we're challenging for much in the next two years so a short term deal doesn't help us much imo.

I can’t see Kreider leaving $20m on the table, but I would sign for 3 or 4 years at that. We will be spending that in a few years to bring in a vet FA when we are ready to compete.

I don't think its a choice between one or the other down the road just b/c a shit ton of cap space will open up after next season when Zibanejad is due for a new contract. Also, will have to assume the cap will continue to go up marginally which would hopefully cover one of the young guys 2nd contract and the Rangers will still have an influx of young guys hopefully coming through on entry deals, and their would be $$$ for Chytil/Shesterkin/Fox, etc....deals

We're gonna use some of that cap. In fact, we'll probably use quite a bit of it. We'll acquire guys, pay RFAs - sure, we'll have money coming off the books, but figuring we have under 20M coming off to figure out Kakko, Fox, Shesterkin, Zib, Kravtsov, and anyone else who ends up expiring in that window is a huge challenge.

He's not going to sign for three years, so it's not worth talking about. If Zucc could get five years at 31, Kreider will rate 7 from a team he perhaps isn't keen on playing for or 6 from a team he would like to play for. He's not cutting that in half as a hometown discount. A realistic hometown discount would be 5 years instead of 6 and perhaps half a mil less per year. Some machinations, maybe unexpected, regarding ADA and Hank, before the deadline could have a big impact on this. I don't think the desire to keep Strome will really factor in. I think they want CK much more.
  • Like 1

I'm not "expecting it" but that's what I'd want if I were GM. I don't like the idea of moving Kreider and there is no Stone or Duchene on the market this year. Kreider is the 1A player available, so I'd require a 1A price.

Getting a 4th liner in return would fucking suck, I'm sorry.

Stone was the clear 1A player available last season. Things didn't really start moving until he was off the table. He brought back a 2nd and Brannstrom (high end prospect).

Imo the return will probably be around the same they got for Hayes. Maybe they can squeeze someone to give them a slighty better player than Lemieux, given the relative dearth of available quality rentals.