• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

Sorry Ozzy, this is madness. I'm not ok with being in a perpetual rebuild. You're telling me that you would rather the 31st pick in this draft than a guy like Kreider? That pick might not be close to reaching his potential until after a Kreider extension is done! 5 year deal would be great. Fuck the #1 pick. If they are trading him it better be focused around a prospect that is a hell of a lot closer to the NHL than a late 2020 1st.

What about in 5 years?

Oh I’m probably the biggest Kreider fan, but they have around 10m to spend on the free agents, and you can’t spend more than 4m on non 1st players. Signing him creates a lot more questions

Kev, I hear ya dude, but it's not a perpetual rebuild, it's really a way to "refuel" for the players reaching UFA status down the road...after a few seasons, and continually feeding the core of this franchise moving forward.

I don't think there's any chance Kreider goes and takes a 5 year team friendly deal...why should he? He's on fire, and he's a UFA that is arguably the hottest rental in the NHL right now. He also has a chance to win a Stanley Cup with a contender. The Rangers have a long way to go yet; Their "core", or soon to be "core" players are very young, and will not really make a dent for at least another 2 seasons in my eyes.

By the time Kreider would be detrimental to a run at a Stanley Cup, that would make him about 33 or 34 years old, and I seriously doubt he's going to be any better than he is now...

Look at Staal; That's what I see Kreider as in 3 or 4 years...a dead weight of contract and buyout candidate...which this team needs about as much as it needs herpes.

Kreider is a rental, and if we get a #1 from Colorado, and let's say they get beaten in the second round, that's a lot higher than a #31. The Avs would have to win the cup, which is always a crap shoot anyway.

I'm sticking with: Trade this guy, sell high, and reap the rewards for when this franchise is relevant again in 2 seasons...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s a slippery slope somewhat. Any deal they make with him, he’s the best player in it and he’s going the other way and his next few seasons, he’s probably producing well.

You never like to do that.

But if you’re betting on Kreider being what he is or close to what is now in 3-4 seasons, you’re betting against the trend for players who play like he does.

Don’t know that they have a Cup in 3-4 years. That’s never a certainty.

But their design is to be competing heavily for one.

Kev, I hear ya dude, but it's not a perpetual rebuild, it's really a way to "refuel" for the players reaching UFA status down the road...after a few seasons, and continually feeding the core of this franchise moving forward.

I don't think there's any chance Kreider goes and takes a 5 year team friendly deal...why should he? He's on fire, and he's a UFA that is arguably the hottest rental in the NHL right now. He also has a chance to win a Stanley Cup with a contender. The Rangers have a long way to go yet; Their "core", or soon to be "core" players are very young, and will not really make a dent for at least another 2 seasons in my eyes.

By the time Kreider would be detrimental to a run at a Stanley Cup, that would make him about 33 or 34 years old, and I seriously doubt he's going to be any better than he is now...

Look at Staal; That's what I see Kreider as in 3 or 4 years...a dead weight of contract and buyout candidate...which this team needs about as much as it needs herpes.

Kreider is a rental, and if we get a #1 from Colorado, and let's say they get beaten in the second round, that's a lot higher than a #31. The Avs would have to win the cup, which is always a crap shoot anyway.

I'm sticking with: Trade this guy, sell high, and reap the rewards for when this franchise is relevant again in 2 seasons...

A few things...most trade-deadline deals the selling team is giving up the best asset in the trade and that would certainly be true with Kreider. Both of you guys write that he's going to fade in 3-4 years like it's gospel. For every Staal you through out, I'll give you a Marchand. Staal's injury history has certainly had an effect on his career as well as how much the NHL has changed since he was drafted in 2005. Every year it seems the game gets faster and that's not really conducive to a guy like Staal. If this was 10 or more years ago, when the game was more physical than it is now, I'd say you are right with Kreider fading. I don't see it with him due to the way he plays, the way he keeps himself in shape, and the way the NHL is trending. Sure, a guy like Lucic, whose whole game is predicated on being physical, has faded quickly but that's not Kreider's game. I see Kreider following a more Marleau like trajectory.

I get both sides of this argument...he's probably going to be expensive and fitting his contract in wouldn't be easy, but every winning team has key veterans that are needed to lead and from everything I've seen and heard about Kreider, he's the perfect kind of guy to have on a team. He's intelligent, works his ass off, and seems to get the big picture. What better guy to have showing all these other young guys what it takes to be a pro?

Besides all of that, this team just signed Panarin and Trouba. They clearly tried to ramp up the time frame on the rebuild. I think the Rangers view themselves being ready for contention the year after next and if that's the case, then they'll make an effort at resigning Kreider.

A few things...most trade-deadline deals the selling team is giving up the best asset in the trade and that would certainly be true with Kreider. Both of you guys write that he's going to fade in 3-4 years like it's gospel. For every Staal you through out, I'll give you a Marchand. Staal's injury history has certainly had an effect on his career as well as how much the NHL has changed since he was drafted in 2005. Every year it seems the game gets faster and that's not really conducive to a guy like Staal. If this was 10 or more years ago, when the game was more physical than it is now, I'd say you are right with Kreider fading. I don't see it with him due to the way he plays, the way he keeps himself in shape, and the way the NHL is trending. Sure, a guy like Lucic, whose whole game is predicated on being physical, has faded quickly but that's not Kreider's game. I see Kreider following a more Marleau like trajectory.

I get both sides of this argument...he's probably going to be expensive and fitting his contract in wouldn't be easy, but every winning team has key veterans that are needed to lead and from everything I've seen and heard about Kreider, he's the perfect kind of guy to have on a team. He's intelligent, works his ass off, and seems to get the big picture. What better guy to have showing all these other young guys what it takes to be a pro?

Besides all of that, this team just signed Panarin and Trouba. They clearly tried to ramp up the time frame on the rebuild. I think the Rangers view themselves being ready for contention the year after next and if that's the case, then they'll make an effort at resigning Kreider.

To me Kev, I thought Kreider was invisible the first 25-30 games of this season. I thought we were going to get a bag of pucks for him at the deadline. He has definitely turned it on to a level we have rarely if ever seen from him. I simply don't see him as the same player after he signs his name at the bottom of a long term 7x7 deal.

He doesn't possess a great shot, nor tremendous responsible defensive awareness. He's got fantastic speed, and plays best in front of the net. I simply don't see him as a future cornerstone of this franchise 3 years down the road. With the money we save from not signing him, we free up tons in cap space, and after next season we'll have even more when Staal, Hank and Smith fall off the payroll.

We can literally go out and buy another Panarin if need be....I think this team has to continue the rebuild process and stop signing guys like this who are 50 point players, to long term/big money deals where they're just going to produce on a descending level as they age into their 30's.

It’s a fair point on Kreider

And none of us have a crystal ball. I don’t know for sure what he will be in 3-4 seasons.

I do know though that he’ll be a 32-33 year old power forward closing in on 900 games played. I’ll give you that the league has changed. I’ll give you that his speed and fitness/conditioning/nutrition help him.

But even with those things he still plays a physical style, north south, go to the front of the net type game, even if that’s not all there is to his game.

He’s just a tough bet for me and the cap implications are heavy.

If they can keep him on a cap friendly deal, I’m ok with that

I just don’t see it. He and his agent know he’s going to have many suitors and someone is going to hand him the bag.

It’s a fair point on Kreider

And none of us have a crystal ball. I don’t know for sure what he will be in 3-4 seasons.

I do know though that he’ll be a 32-33 year old power forward closing in on 900 games played. I’ll give you that the league has changed. I’ll give you that his speed and fitness/conditioning/nutrition help him.

But even with those things he still plays a physical style, north south, go to the front of the net type game, even if that’s not all there is to his game.

He’s just a tough bet for me and the cap implications are heavy.

If they can keep him on a cap friendly deal, I’m ok with that

I just don’t see it. He and his agent know he’s going to have many suitors and someone is going to hand him the bag.

This is true...and the reason it'll happen is because he's a player that's hard to duplicate in today's game. And also the reason I'm probably wasting my time typing all this stuff about keeping him!

• Like 1

it absolutely is true, Kev...and I hear you a million percent. I really love the conviction you have for keeping him and your argument or debate is duly noted, my man.

Tell you what....if the Rangers sign him, I will be behind him 100%....It's just my belief that down the pike we'll be better off with what he can bring us in return....that's all. If we can't get a good deal for him, then sure, we can sign him to a team friendly deal if he takes it.

This is true...and the reason it'll happen is because he's a player that's hard to duplicate in today's game. And also the reason I'm probably wasting my time typing all this stuff about keeping him!

That’s the operative point for me. He’s not likely to pass up the payday he could get and leave money on the table to stay here. And there’s no family stuff keeping him here. No wife. No kids.

They don’t need to replace him with just one guy. And they don’t need to find a guy with an identical skill set.

I will say this, there have been a lot of comments, understably, along the lines of “you’d think he’s trying to make himself more money” with his increased performance as of late. Very possible and probable also. However, let’s not forget that another possibility is that he is inspired to stay here. Also it’s not our of the realm that he’s just figured it’s out. The presence of Panarin sure helps as does the daily improving of Ziby. It does amazing things to a players game when another superstar keeps the opposition focused on them instead of oneself. Pick your poison and for the most part the opposition has been trying to focus on the Panarin line which allows more space for Ziby and Kreids.

We will see where they go.

For what it’s worth, they said the same last year with Hayes and Zucc.

These “talks” could amount to one brief conversation.

Wouldn’t be the first time Gorton or many another GM talked out of both sides of his mouth, misled the media, or planned on just lip service talks with a guy on his way out the door.

Kreider picked a fine time last night to do a spectacular job of doing what he usually does worst: finishing on a breakaway. Product warning to potential buyers: this is not how a Kreider breakaway usually ends up. Signing cost and trade take both going up.

Kreider picked a fine time last night to do a spectacular job of doing what he usually does worst: finishing on a breakaway. Product warning to potential buyers: this is not how a Kreider breakaway usually ends up. Signing cost and trade take both going up.

Given the vast amounts of web-scraping technology the NHL almost assuredly uses, perhaps we should refrain from saying things that could decrease his trade value.

[/b]

Given the vast amounts of web-scraping technology the NHL almost assuredly uses, perhaps we should refrain from saying things that could decrease his trade value.

You see him jump out of the pool though? So sick. Imagine having that kind of raw strength on your team in the playoffs. I'd give at least a 1st and a blue chip prospect for that. Probably more.

I have him pegged at 2.8.

Love the energy, but every time I watch him... he’s not good. Team has too many of these bottom 6 players to be successful

Yeah? I think he's a keeper. May be able to slot him up here and there. Did a decent job early in the season on the too line. I think he's pretty underrated. I totally hang onto him and see how he shakes out. They need wingers and they need grit that can do more than just fight. May need to slot him up again next season.

Larry has written that 5-6 years @ 7 mil is the starting point of negotiations. 7m x 5y......enticing when that line is firing. Tough call. I was all aboard the ship him out train but damn, what a year he is having.

So, how do we clear that cap? Canes looking for a D man with term. Skjei? Buyout Lundquist? Idk how they play this chess match but this is going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

Larry has written that 5-6 years @ 7 mil is the starting point of negotiations. 7m x 5y......enticing when that line is firing. Tough call. I was all aboard the ship him out train but damn, what a year he is having.

So, how do we clear that cap? Canes looking for a D man with term. Skjei? Buyout Lundquist? Idk how they play this chess match but this is going to be an interesting couple of weeks.

If that's the cost, we're next talking on June 27 or whenever that window opens.

That's fine. Happy to welcome him back to the team.