• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

almost every playoff team would go after Kreider. Just as many in on Strome. A bunch after DeAngelo. Fast for any team looking for depth. And if they were willing to move Lemieux... And then there's Georgiev.

Rangers have better trade pieces this season than Hayes and Zuccarello

That they do

Who and how many get dealt?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would he go to Canada though, even if it’s just for a few months?

Supposedly all Canadian teams are on his no trade list.

I’d go to Edmonton for a few months if I were him just to play with McJesus. It certainly wouldn’t hurt his numbers in a contract year.

Vancouver and Toronto, too.

But anyone with a NTC usually includes Canadian teams.

But rangers have other appealing assets

You reevaluate the current situation vs your long term goals, and you make a decision based on that.

And that means in plain English? Current situation is your in the playoffs with a 4 point cushion and your long term goal is to progress towards one day winning a cup. :)

And that means in plain English? Current situation is your in the playoffs with a 4 point cushion and your long term goal is to progress towards one day winning a cup. :)

It’s pretty plain English.

But I’ll spell it out clearer.

You look at the guys you’re getting calls about and the guys who are on expiring contracts.

You determine if they’re in your long term plan, and if keeping them is feasible financially

You measure the worth of making the playoffs and taking a serious run at that vs losing some of those Guys for nothing while considering what you’d get in return

And then you decide what’s of greater importance and value.

You do that with every player in question

That’s the basic process.

In Kreider’s case they’d weigh giving him an extension vs keeping him to lose him for nothing vs the return they have on the table for him.

It’s essentially a form of cost benefit analysis with players

Now what do you do if the following happens? A week before the trade deadline the Rangers are in the wild card 1st seed 4 points clear of being out of the playoffs.

Not sure the plan waivers much. They?re still looking to flip these guys for younger picks/prospects.

What it might do is force them to move Someone like Kreider our west, and based on the previous list of Canadian teams, might hinder your return.

Again, no one ?needs? to be traded. But you can still snag a good return from a team like Colorado.

Rangers are said to be wanting roster players, so it?s a small step back, but still in position to strike. Fighting down the stretch, or a first round exit, is still great experience

You reevaluate the current situation vs your long term goals, and you make a decision based on that.

I think long term goals still take precedent, honestly. JD talked about being the team of the 20s, the decade, not just a small window or a few lucky seasons.

I think long term goals still take precedent, honestly. JD talked about being the team of the 20s, the decade, not just a small window or a few lucky seasons.

I agree.

It’s about who helps in the next 5 years.

Making the playoffs this year would be huge.

But ultimately it comes down to moving towards the long term plan.

If moving a guy brings you back pieces that are here in the future and that guy isn’t, you lean towards moving him

I feel about the same. Sorry if I was giving you a hard time 7. Was just more interested in opinions rather than the rhetorical style.

I’m kind of torn. If they happened to be in that position then for me it takes everyone off the table except Georgiev and maybe Kreids. Kreids I say yes but I approach him the second we are in a playoff spot and say “look, we love you. We want you, but not at the real ufa price you’ll probably get. Any chance you take a bit less but within market so we can keep this going and retain the other rfas we have?” If he balks then so be it. Keep it internal and work out a trade because we know where we are. Georgiev, while I’d love to keep him, just is the odd man out with Henrik never waiving his no trade. Hell don’t play him for 2-3 weeks leading up to the deadline and see if that changes his mind.

I wouldn’t add a rental per say. I would however approach a team like the Ducks and see if they would be interested in a Skjei for Manson swap or something of that sort. Yes he’s a bit older but he’s a tougher guy still fairly reasonably paid with size that would solve a toughness problem. My plan though regardless involves both Staal and Smith not being part of this team next year. Staal specifically. He’s been a tourist on this team for 2 years. Buy him out.

I feel about the same. Sorry if I was giving you a hard time 7. Was just more interested in opinions rather than the rhetorical style.

I’m kind of torn. If they happened to be in that position then for me it takes everyone off the table except Georgiev and maybe Kreids. Kreids I say yes but I approach him the second we are in a playoff spot and say “look, we love you. We want you, but not at the real ufa price you’ll probably get. Any chance you take a bit less but within market so we can keep this going and retain the other rfas we have?” If he balks then so be it. Keep it internal and work out a trade because we know where we are. Georgiev, while I’d love to keep him, just is the odd man out with Henrik never waiving his no trade. Hell don’t play him for 2-3 weeks leading up to the deadline and see if that changes his mind.

I wouldn’t add a rental per say. I would however approach a team like the Ducks and see if they would be interested in a Skjei for Manson swap or something of that sort. Yes he’s a bit older but he’s a tougher guy still fairly reasonably paid with size that would solve a toughness problem. My plan though regardless involves both Staal and Smith not being part of this team next year. Staal specifically. He’s been a tourist on this team for 2 years. Buy him out.

All good

I didn’t take it that way

Agree with most of what you said

We’re all beating the dead horse on Kreider. Problem is it won’t be a “little bit less”

It’s potentially in the $15 million dollar range and a full 2 years of guaranteed paydays.

That’s a shit load of money.

If it’s 5/35 vs 7/50, that’s better than a 40% increase. Huge.

And he has a realistic shot at that kind of payday.

Even at different positions, Hayes deal is a fair benchmark. He did sign his deal a full year earlier and was a full 2 years younger than Kreider this July (Hayes age 27 in July 19, Kreider age 29 in July 20)

Citing that, maybe they approach him again, but he’ll have other suitors.

I can’t abide another buyout though.

Not with 12 months to go when we get to the buyout window in June.

They gotta stop with that

They’ve used buyouts more than anyone I believe

It’s just shitty business.

Like a parent with fuck up kids who always need to be bailed out of shit.

Except this is millions of dollars and has an adverse set of consequences for the roster

Just ride it out.

It’s not killing them.

I agree that I’d rather not have a buyout. It’s just that I honestly believe both Strome and ADA are very important to keep and would like the money necessary to make that happen and give them a tad more than they would get arbitration wise but keep them a bit longer term since they are both young.

AAAHHH... The wanna-be GMS are at it again, prognosticating about hypothetical scenarios that probably won't occur anyway... Yeah, dump an integral part of the NYR so that five years from now, things may be utopian for all eternity. I think the team may be thinking in terms of winning, not gaining these assets that all the pessimists are carping about. 6 points out with games in hand make for a positive outcome IF this group continues to play as required. H.F!

I agree that I’d rather not have a buyout. It’s just that I honestly believe both Strome and ADA are very important to keep and would like the money necessary to make that happen and give them a tad more than they would get arbitration wise but keep them a bit longer term since they are both young.

They have some space this summer. Should be able to get it done

If not, maybe they move out a contract.

It’s a concern though, so I do see where you are coming from.

But they can worry about it in 6 months.

AAAHHH... The wanna-be GMS are at it again, prognosticating about hypothetical scenarios that probably won't occur anyway... Yeah, dump an integral part of the NYR so that five years from now, things may be utopian for all eternity. I think the team may be thinking in terms of winning, not gaining these assets that all the pessimists are carping about. 6 points out with games in hand make for a positive outcome IF this group continues to play as required. H.F!

You love Kreider at $4 million

How does he look at $7 million

And how will he be in 3-4 seasons when he’s very likely on the decline and has 3-4 years left on his deal?

That’s the concern. It’s a real one.

It’s the money bro.

Everyone here likes Kreider.

But the contract he’s shopping for may price him out.

As for their place in the standings, well, the numbers say they’re going to be about .500 or slightly above.

Pace now is high-80’s points.

It’s looking like the low seeded playoff teams in the East will have mid-to-high 90’s, so they are still a ways off

Next 6 will are big

They have $10m in dead cap space.

They have about $10m to resign their FAs and fill the holes with plugs.

In 2 years you have Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox - all very important players to the future. Any deal you sign now could potentially cause issues when trying to negotiate those deals.

We haven’t had so many players of this pedigree, so young, that’s its been an issue.

They have $10m in dead cap space.

They have about $10m to resign their FAs and fill the holes with plugs.

In 2 years you have Zibanejad, Kakko, Kravtsov, Fox - all very important players to the future. Any deal you sign now could potentially cause issues when trying to negotiate those deals.

We haven’t had so many players of this pedigree, so young, that’s its been an issue.

It’s actually about $7.5 in dead cap space and $15 million in cap space per Capfriendly.

Puckpedia has next years space around 16m factoring everything except performance bonuses I believe (please correct me if I’m wrong).

We have Strome, ADA, Fast, Kreider, and Lemieux to deal with and to a lesser extend McKegg and Haley which are most likely gone. No way obviously all can be kept.

The following year we free up a ton of space with Staal, Smith, and Henrik all off the books which frees up another 18m or so plus I think Shattys cap hit drops from 6m or so to 1.5m so that would mean we have a good bit of money, no? Somewhere around 22m.

Howden, Chytil, Buch, Lindgren, Shesterkin are all up though but all rfa with Buch and Shesh the only ones with arbitration rights if I’m reading this correctly. The only one I’d say with the potential of that group to be big money probably is Chytil, Buch, and Shesh but I highly doubt any become elite to the point we can’t retain or have to make very tough choices.

It’s actually about $7.5 in dead cap space and $15 million in cap space per Capfriendly.

They’ll buy out Staal or Smith, getting it to $10m

You have 10m to re-sign FAs, then you need 3 or 4 depths players making nothing.