• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Are Thinking "More and More" About Keeping Kreider

Phil

They don?t need to replace him immediately. They?re not winning a cup next year either.

And guys do become available. It happens regularly.

Do you honestly believe they should keep him and pay him roughly $7million per till he?s 34-36?

He wants to take less, I?m all about it.

Look, I like the guy.

But extensions like that have killed them .

This could be in that same vein

Why can't they compete for a cup next year? They just need a ticket to the dance which I think they'll certainly achieve next year... maybe even this year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

I’m not suggesting that

I get where you’re coming from. He has a skill set not all too common given his frame.

But that skill set and “what he does for you on the ice” still only produces about 25 and 50.

Good numbers and contributions. I’m not arguing that

But hardly irreplaceable.

And it doesn’t have to come in the way of 1 player either. Once again, doesn’t have to be replaced immediately.

My point is we aren’t replacing early-90’s Brett Hull.

This isn’t a guy that teams have to specifically game plan on a nightly basis to stop.

He’s a nice complimentary piece. And I like him. Just not at what he’ll likely get paid without leaving money on the table

Don’t know how he’s become so revered as irreplaceable and essential

Yes, if you view everyone in the vacuum of "how many points do you score?" Kreider, the player, is more than that. There are aspects of his game that are, in fact, irreplaceable. Namely his net-front presence, his combination of speed and size, and his playoff experience — all of which are going to become significantly more valuable as the team rounds the corner from rebuild to contention. I'd venture a guess that were they to move him, conversations about acquiring someone just like him would be all too common a year from now.

The Devil you know...

And you never answered my question

I'm torn on it still. It's entirely dependent on both term and dollars for me. 7x7? I'd deal him, more so because of the latter. If it's, say, 7x5? I think I'd be OK with that, and I'd happily move on from someone like Buch to make room for him.

• Like 1

Why can't they compete for a cup next year? They just need a ticket to the dance which I think they'll certainly achieve next year... maybe even this year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Presuming growth from young players and a few key additions again this summer, I see no reason why this team isn't a playoff team as soon as next season, and given their construction, I also see no reason why they can't make noise. Cup contention? I dunno. I'd err on the side of caution there, but only because I don't want to get burned. It wouldn't shock me at all to see them go on a run as that tough-to-play-against, ultra-talented club with just the right pieces in the right places to pull off the upsets required.

Yes, if you view everyone in the vacuum of "how many points do you score?" Kreider, the player, is more than that. There are aspects of his game that are, in fact, irreplaceable. Namely his net-front presence, his combination of speed and size, and his playoff experience — all of which are going to become significantly more valuable as the team rounds the corner from rebuild to contention. I'd venture a guess that were they to move him, conversations about acquiring someone just like him would be all too common a year from now.

The Devil you know...

I'm torn on it still. It's entirely dependent on both term and dollars for me. 7x7? I'd deal him, more so because of the latter. If it's, say, 7x5? I think I'd be OK with that, and I'd happily move on from someone like Buch to make room for him.

I agree that there are other aspects to his game that have value

But his production in actual terms and what they will cost are still far and away the most important things.

I’d be ok with 7x5 too. And I’d gladly sacrifice Butch as I don’t think he’d be here long term anyway. There’s not going to be space for him anyway.

But he can get 7 x7 on the market.

Someone will pay him that

I like Kreider too.

But the Kreider lovers focus so much on what he does when he’s hot, they ignore his extreme streakiness, and the disappearing act that’s associated.

He’s never put it together for more than stretches.

He’s hot right now. 10 G and 8 A in last 18 games.

He had 6 G and 11 total points in the previous 28 games.

Hyper productive now

Very little for a full third of the season prior

His skill set still only manifests itself in what he produces

We know what he produces and that much of it comes from nice hot streak

As for the leadership and experience I get that. But this young group will gain its own experience and find its own leaders.

I agree that there are other aspects to his game that have value

But his production in actual terms and what they will cost are still far and away the most important things.

I’d be ok with 7x5 too. And I’d gladly sacrifice Butch as I don’t think he’d be here long term anyway. There’s not going to be space for him anyway.

But he can get 7 x7 on the market.

Someone will pay him that

I like Kreider too.

But the Kreider lovers focus so much on what he does when he’s hot, they ignore his extreme streakiness, and the disappearing act that’s associated.

He’s never put it together for more than stretches.

He’s hot right now. 10 G and 8 A in last 18 games.

He had 6 G and 11 total points in the previous 28 games.

Hyper productive now

Very little for a full third of the season prior

His skill set still only manifests itself in what he produces

We know what he produces and that much of it comes from nice hot streak

As for the leadership and experience I get that. But this young group will gain its own experience and find its own leaders.

This is not a great example of "hot" and "cold." 11 points in 28 games is still good, for a "cold streak."

Nobody is ignoring he has streaks. What people are ignoring is that he does more than put up points or "skate fast."

This is not a great example of "hot" and "cold." 11 points in 28 games is still good, for a "cold streak."

Nobody is ignoring he has streaks. What people are ignoring is that he does more than put up points or "skate fast."

And how critical all of that is going to be for when the team turns the corner, as soon as next season.

I guarantee if they deal him, we're going to be having conversations about how much the Rangers should give up to acquire inferior versions of him like Alex Tuch, etc. to "beef up" for the playoffs.

And how critical all of that is going to be for when the team turns the corner, as soon as next season.

I guarantee if they deal him, we're going to be having conversations about how much the Rangers should give up to acquire inferior versions of him like Alex Tuch, etc. to "beef up" for the playoffs.

Exactly. Theres absolutely no one on the team that does what he does. You saw it last year when he was hurt, the team sucked.

i'd rather start grooming Howden to stand in front of the net and deflect shots than paying Kreider a regrettable amount for a regrettable amount of years.

you give Kreider a long term contract, you're going to bite your elbows half way thru

If they win a Cup in the process, you can salt and pepper my elbow, because I'll happily chow down.

Blues are one of the heaviest teams in the league. You're kinda making my point.

my point is that Kreider is not end all be all for the cup run. by the time the rangers might make a serious run he'd be like 34 years old and a complete burden.

He gave us good years, there's plenty of other fish out there

I’m not ignoring that he does other things

I think he’s good around the net and the value that has

I just don’t think that’s worth $50 million bucks till he’s 36

You specifically called him a power forward in an earlier post

How many power forwards are great past 32/33?

Not a ton. And the ones that have been, many are HOF’ers. Kreider isn’t in that class.

Playing in those areas exacts a heavy toll.

And that speed will go too eventually regardless of his conditioning

But I’ll say again, I love him at 5 years and around 7 million.

I think he’s got 3-4 nice seasons in him. I can live with 1-2 seasons of him as a diminished player who is paid above his value.

What I can’t live with and what will come back to bite them is 3-4 seasons of him as a diminished player making way more than his actual value.

You’re betting against history if you expect to get your money’s worth on him if he’s paid till age 36.

Risky thing to do with a young group that will need to get paid itself in that time span.

Yes I know the cap will go up and other contracts will come off the books

But prices on guys will go up and others will be in the mix too

We can debate this till we are blue in the face.

But he’s almost certainly a goner in 6 weeks. Doubtful there’s an extension coming in that span.

And I also think his agent is pushing him to go to market

He’d be a fool not to

They can touch base with him again in July.

Then we’ll see

6 goals and 11 points is an 18 goal, 32 point pace over 82

That’s not good for a guy that’s looking for what he’s looking for in a new contract

They’re not 5 years away

They’re probably a playoff team next year and hopefully they’re in serious pursuit of a Cup in 2-3 seasons

I put them in year 3 of a 4-5 year rebuild

ambitious.

you think they're in cup pursuit with first or second year defensemen? not a chance.

im not even sure they're playoff contenders next year with Kreider and ADA probably gone.