• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Georgiev is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans?

Phil

He’s ranked as their #3 in the article I posted. I dunno.

For comparison you’d have to trade K’andre/Lundkvist and a high pick for a backup goalie with a 60 game sample size.

I think it’s nuts. It’s not as if this is a trade that completely changes things for them in terms of competing for the cup. But maybe I’m wrong.

You’re not wrong

They’re looking for a high return. Possibly higher than they should be. But I think it’s just a shoot high tactic. You’re also right to say that this trade isn’t a game changer for either team. Sure they definitely need help in goal, but Georgiev isn’t going there to start. At least that’s not the plan.

And the Rangers return isn’t going to amaze anybody at first.

A good prospect though, plus a little sweetener for a goalie who can come in and play right away for them, is an upgrade, and does belong in a role at least, is pretty reasonable.

I don’t know about the comparison between Bracco and Lundkvist or Miller is too fair though.

Yes they’re all in that 3rd best prospect range. But our 2 have 1st round pedigree and generally higher prospect grades than Bracco.

It’s close I guess, but not really the same

Overall though I get your take on it and see the validity of it

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s not like is Georgiev is a 27-28 yr old journeyman goalie who’s bounced around the league. He’ll be 24 next month and already has 3 yrs experience in the NHL. He’s a starting caliber goalie . This year he and Lundqvist have been pretty much 50/50, Lundqvist has played 25 gms and Georgiev has been in 23 gms. I don’t get the backup goalie title everyone is throwing out there—I think it’s more from writers that don’t watch us. And i think it’s obvious Gorton doesn’t view Georgiev as a backup goalie. So we shouldn’t be getting a backup goalies trade value/type of return in a Georgiev trade.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

You’re not a starting goalie for certain in the NHL until you do it.

He hasn’t.

Gorton’s view isn’t the only factor. The other GM has to see that too.

You’re not a starting goalie for certain in the NHL until you do it.

He hasn’t.

Gorton’s view isn’t the only factor. The other GM has to see that too.

Other GM have also seen what other young "backup goalies" have done in Pitts, Columbus, St. Louis and Philly ish. It's about potential and Georgie certainly has it.

Other GM have also seen what other young "backup goalies" have done in Pitts, Columbus, St. Louis and Philly ish. It's about potential and Georgie certainly has it.

I totally get that. I agree that he has that potential.

But you’re very unlikely to get a Number 1 goalie return based just on potential.

Guys, Georgiev never is going to have a future here with the king around. I don’t care if Bracco is Craig fucking Janney (if you know who he is you’ll know the frustration). He can plug in today and improve our team now. I’d prefer Kapanen solely for Kakko but if that’s not on the table, it’s a no brained for me.

Guys, Georgiev never is going to have a future here with the king around. I don?t care if Bracco is Craig fucking Janney (if you know who he is you?ll know the frustration). He can plug in today and improve our team now. I?d prefer Kapanen solely for Kakko but if that?s not on the table, it?s a no brained for me.
I think the debate is that he might not help.

He's a RW. We have plenty.

He's a passer. Ditto.

He's small. He doesn't help bottom 6.

He just might not be the guy.

We just need to look for another team who needs a goalie. I posted an opinion piece from the hockey writers.com that said SJ and Ottawa are looking for a goalie as well. While i didn?t like what Jeb Baggart wrote with regards to what we could get from SJ, but Ottawa?s Logan Brown seems intriguing. 6?6? center 21 yrs old, dad Jeff Brown played in the NHL.

It?s not like is Georgiev is a 27-28 yr old journeyman goalie who?s bounced around the league. He?ll be 24 next month and already has 3 yrs experience in the NHL. He?s a starting caliber goalie . This year he and Lundqvist have been pretty much 50/50, Lundqvist has played 25 gms and Georgiev has been in 23 gms. I don?t get the backup goalie title everyone is throwing out there?I think it?s more from writers that don?t watch us. And i think it?s obvious Gorton doesn?t view Georgiev as a backup goalie. So we shouldn?t be getting a backup goalies trade value/type of return in a Georgiev trade.

Sure, if you want to spin it you can say he's got 3 years experience. Or, you can say he's played a grand total of 65 NHL games.

65 games isn't enough of a sample size to confidently state he is a starting goalie, or - to be fair - that he's not.

That means a GM trading for him has to take a leap of faith, which they are highly unlikely to do. Goalies being voodoo and all that stuff.

As such, he's a backup goalie until proven otherwise. An exciting one with potential, sure. But I'm certainly not expecting any type of haul for him. It doesn't necessarily have to be Bracco, but that level of prospect for him is a great return imo.

prohockeyrumors.com has an article from holger stolzenberg dated January 26. That states the Oilers are looking for scoring and a goaltender to pair with Koskinen as Smith has been inconsistent so far this season and his past shows that he declines in the second half of the season. Article mentions Georgiev as a possible player they could be interested in. Wonder what we can get from them for either or both Kreider and Georgiev.

prohockeyrumors.com has an article from holger stolzenberg dated January 26. That states the Oilers are looking for scoring and a goaltender to pair with Koskinen as Smith has been inconsistent so far this season and his past shows that he declines in the second half of the season. Article mentions Georgiev as a possible player they could be interested in. Wonder what we can get from them for either or both Kreider and Georgiev.

I highly doubt they would give much. Koskinen is on a longer deal and while Smiths contract is off the book next year, they just recently started riding him more since his play turned around. They would pay insurance type value for him.

Would Kreider go to Edmonton?

Not to sound like a jerk, but... We’ve been through this already.

It totally makes sense for them. Desperate for help on the wing, and they surely could use a goalie help too. Especially if it’s a guy who might have a future as more than a backup.

I think it makes sense for Kreider too. Go play with McDavid for a few months in your contract year. Couldn’t hurt his numbers.

But if he doesn’t want to go to Canada, then it’s a non-starter.

Would Kreider go to Edmonton?

Not to sound like a jerk, but... We?ve been through this already.

It totally makes sense for them. Desperate for help on the wing, and they surely could use a goalie help too. Especially if it?s a guy who might have a future as more than a backup.

I think it makes sense for Kreider too. Go play with McDavid for a few months in your contract year. Couldn?t hurt his numbers.

But if he doesn?t want to go to Canada, then it?s a non-starter.

He's listed all Canadian teams on his NT list. He'd have to waive.

Obviously he'd need to waive, but if I'm Kreider, and I really want that cha-ching payday? I think two months flanking Connor McDavid might just get me PAID.
Yea he probably did that so he doesn't have to stay for long in a place like Winnipeg or Calgary or Edmonton.

There's also no guarantee he winds up playing with McDavid. Any team getting CK is likely going for depth.

I like the Georgie for Labanc deal that was thrown in one of the articles. He's trending down from last season and signed that ridiculously team friendly 1?1 deal with San Jose. If Georgie is out then this is a good scenario.

Can the Rangers afford Labanc's next contract with the cap space and the current players that need to be re-signed already though? It doesn't seem like it.

Henrik Lundqvist is still signed through next season and we shouldn?t expect him to be traded. And the Igor Shestyorkin era has begun as the highly regarded 24-year-old has played three games since getting his AHL call-up. But Georgiev is no slouch. He was terrific in 33 games last season (.914, 2.91, 14-13-4) and though his numbers haven?t been as strong in 2019-20, he?s still a young (23) NHL netminder.

?They?ve got a lot of good defence prospects coming and they obviously don?t need goalies. So teams are under the impression that it won?t be cheap,? Friedman said on a recent Headlines segment on Hockey Night in Canada. ?It will probably cost you a forward who?s either as young and either ready to play or close to it ? but they won?t listen to anything that doesn?t impress them beneath that.?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/20-nhl-trade-candidates-youll-hear-deadline/

Can the Rangers afford Labanc's next contract with the cap space and the current players that need to be re-signed already though? It doesn't seem like it.

This depends entirely on what you envision him getting, whether or not it's long-term (and buys UFA years), and who else is on the roster. He's 24 and arbitration-eligible, so it's entirely possible you can opt for a bridge rather than a long-term deal if you're that tight against it. He's on pace for 41 points (18 goals) and he's right in line with his (thus far) career NHL average in terms of P/GP.

It was widely reported that Labanc signed that 1x1 deal on the understanding and gentleman’s agreement that he would get paid on his next contract.

It would surely be beyond a cunts trick from Wilson to turn around and trade him against his will at this point.

It was widely reported that Labanc signed that 1x1 deal on the understanding and gentleman’s agreement that he would get paid on his next contract.

It would surely be beyond a cunts trick from Wilson to turn around and trade him against his will at this point.

"Against his will," implies he'd be upset by being dealt, let alone to his childhood team. Given the attitude of most players who grew up cheering for this team only to end up playing for them, I doubt this would be the case.

Yeah, that was really, really dumb of him.

I never fault a player for taking the big-ass deal some team puts in front of them. I'd also never fault a player for doing something out of loyalty and trust over greed - it's admirable if not somewhat foolish, and it sets a tone for some of the business realities associated with the salary cap.

I'd probably argue LaBanc took that one step too far - he should have gone team friendly, but to go to near league-minimum as a young 50+ point forward is too far.

I'd see Doug Wilson as a snake if he broke that trust, though. He'd never be able to sign another team-friendly deal.

I never fault a player for taking the big-ass deal some team puts in front of them. I'd also never fault a player for doing something out of loyalty and trust over greed - it's admirable if not somewhat foolish, and it sets a tone for some of the business realities associated with the salary cap.

I'd probably argue LaBanc took that one step too far - he should have gone team friendly, but to go to near league-minimum as a young 50+ point forward is too far.

I'd see Doug Wilson as a snake if he broke that trust, though. He'd never be able to sign another team-friendly deal.

Today: Sharks re-sign Labanc to two-year deal worth $4 million per.

Tomorrow: Sharks trade Labanc to the Rangers for Pavel Buchnevich.

There. Problem solved.