• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Georgiev is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans?

Phil

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can let Shesty play two against the Isles and then send him down to enjoy the AHL Allstar Game that he earned. Bring him back up in February.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Bingo.

This is a 24 year old not a 19 year old. I'm pretty sure he understands being sent down for the sake of making room for him later isn't a negative message.

I really wouldn't worry about that at all.

Bingo.

This is a 24 year old not a 19 year old. I'm pretty sure he understands being sent down for the sake of making room for him later isn't a negative message.

I really wouldn't worry about that at all.

It’s a minor concern as long as it stays short term and temporary

It doesn’t become an issue as long as they aren’t letting it all drag out and it’s not an up, down, up, down type thing.

Yes yes yes

Wow. Looking at it under those circumstances, I am surprised JD is not selling him hard on a personal services contract as Steve Valiquette & Bill Pidito's hair stylist consultant.

Realistically speaking; Lundqvist is not playing for a Stanley Cup here in NY this season or next. He does have his place on the all time wins list to consider. He will likely pass Belfour & Luongo if he plays another season, but will be passed by Marc-Andre Fleury ultimately. Is there that big of a difference between finishing 4th all time or 6th all time to facilitate an early retirement? If I was him, I would be looking for Anson Carter's job rather than chasing a meaningless spot on that list.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-goalies-all-time-wins-leaders.html

Wow. Looking at it under those circumstances, I am surprised JD is not selling him hard on a personal services contract as Steve Valiquette & Bill Pidito's hair stylist consultant.

Realistically speaking; Lundqvist is not playing for a Stanley Cup here in NY this season or next. He does have his place on the all time wins list to consider. He will likely pass Belfour & Luongo if he plays another season, but will be passed by Marc-Andre Fleury ultimately. Is there that big of a difference between finishing 4th all time or 6th all time to facilitate an early retirement? If I was him, I would be looking for Anson Carter's job rather than chasing a meaningless spot on that list.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-goalies-all-time-wins-leaders.html

You can’t sell an athlete on retirement when he feels he can still play. Never can, never will. You can hope he would be willing to be traded. That’s the best you’ll get.

• Like 1

You can’t sell an athlete on retirement when he feels he can still play. Never can, never will. You can hope he would be willing to be traded. That’s the best you’ll get.

Play for what? At least that is what I was trying to illustrate. Sure; he can ask for a trade and like some people have laid out there are situations like Colorado that he can possibly make a Cup run with. Then again he was offered that opportunity in February two years ago, and passed. Has his mind changed being that much closer to retirement, who the hell knows.

I do agree with the sentiment that the Rangers are better off with a Shesterkin/Georgiev tandem for the foreseeable future rather than a Shesterkin/Lundqvist tandem for the remainder of this season and next. They should be exploring every opportunity to help Lundqvist bow out gracefully.

Play for what?

Just to play. You aren’t going to convince a pro athlete to hang up the skates when he still thinks he can play at an NHL level. You just aren’t. This is all most of these guys know. They play until they either don’t want to or the league doesn’t want them. It’s just that simple.

Just to play. You aren’t going to convince a pro athlete to hang up the skates when he still thinks he can play at an NHL level. You just aren’t. This is all most of these guys know. They play until they either don’t want to or the league doesn’t want them. It’s just that simple.

As great a career as Lundqvist has had, that time has now come.

Big Picture; his career was handicapped by things he could not control. And that's sad. But he had a tremedous career, he does have a Olympic gold medal, he will go into the Hall of Fame and his number will rightly be retired.

Will that be the case in 18 months when his contract expires.

Today he’s 37

Assuming he plays out his contract, in 18 months when he’s a FA, he’ll be 39.

It's just another example of how these long term contracts almost always mean you're gonna sh!t on the tail end. I cringe at what Trouba's deal is going to look like.

I posted stats a few weeks ago, the only players to sign 4+ year deals and complete them with the Rangers are Staal, Girardi and Lundqvist. Their subsequent deals were ... restraining

This. Lundqvist has repeatedly expressed a desire to be a Ranger. IMO, the only way he would consider a trade or retirement is if he stopped getting starts.

What’s the issue about buying him out? Why the resistance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - Dick move for a guy who can be argued to be the single most valuable player in the league since he came in

2 - We can't have 13M in buyout cap hits next year.

3 - Georgiev is eminently tradeable.

It's not only the defense.

But nobody with an ounce of sense walks away from $13 million.

Where are we getting $13 million from, out of curiosity?

He was owed $12.5 million in total compensation this year and next.

He’s already received his $1 million in bonus this year and they’ve paid him half of his $6 million in base salary

He’s owed $5.5 next year.

$1 million in bonus plus 4.5 in base

As of now, I believe hes owed about 8.5 million total for the last 18 months of his contract.