• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Georgiev is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans?

Phil

"Against his will," implies he'd be upset by being dealt, let alone to his childhood team. Given the attitude of most players who grew up cheering for this team only to end up playing for them, I doubt this would be the case.

Yes, that’s what I meant by adding “against his will” to the sentence. If he wants to go then no harm done, obviously.

But the Rangers have no such commitment to Labanc, so the cleanest way to do it would be like you suggested above; sign, then deal.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the same article I posted in the Kreider thread (readers come up with trade proposals, Custance checks them with league execs):

6. The New York Rangers send goalie Alexandar Georgiev and a third-round pick to Toronto for Kasperi Kapanen and a second-round pick

– @JustLouG

As James Mirtle has reported, the Maple Leafs have inquired about Georgiev. He makes a ton of sense for them. But if you’re trading Kapanen, you might want to get a defenseman back instead of a backup goalie.

Exec: “Toronto says no. I don’t know why people think the Rangers are going to get a massive windfall for Georgiev. He has mediocre numbers, a mediocre record, and having three goalies erodes any leverage they have.”

https://theathletic.com/1560427/2020/01/28/who-says-no-nhl-executives-evaluate-your-trade-proposals/

Every day that passes I get closer and closer in my head to wanting the Rangers to have a real conversation with Hank and asking him to waive the NMC rather than asking him if he wants to do it. It sucks because he has been the face of the Rangers for a long time, but the cold hard fact is we didn't win the Cup during his tenure and that's what's more important for the team and the current players moving forward. Unfortunately, he is in the way of fielding the best possible team over the next few years by forcing the Ranger's hand with trading Georgiev.

If he doesn't want to waive, a buyout saves 3M which is enough money to re-sign Georgiev to a 2 year bridge deal plus a little left over probably.

6. Kreider told a great story last Tuesday about Henrik Lundqvist dominating a shootout competition.

“I could have gone 15 times and not scored,” he said.

Lundqvist may not be playing as much, but he hasn’t lost any of the fire. This is not a confident prediction, but no one would be surprised if the Rangers punt their goalie decision until the post-season — keeping Lundqvist, Alexandar Georgiev and Igor Shesterkin for now. They don’t want to rush into a move they later regret. They may be looking for someone to help AHL Hartford in case Shesterkin goes to the NHL for good.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-trade-deadline-approach-fortunes/

I'm really trying my best to temper my expectations for what the Rangers get in return for Georgiev. This is a goalie who's not only never seen a minute of playoff time, but has never even been in a playoff race. He's arguably the 3rd best goalie on the Rangers, and even though he's a young guy who's playing behind a shitty defensive team, he's looked pretty good at times, he's still had some off games.

I can see him going to Toronto. It is probably the best fit, makes sense for both teams, and it's most likely going to happen soon, but I can't see the Rangers asking for the moon for this guy.

Only way to get a good haul is to ask for one.. GM's make some really bad decisions from time to time. I just hope Gorton is the face of regret Dubas sees the morning after the trade has been consummated.

I don't know why the leafs would get a backup now. They needed one in October. Might as well just stay the course, not overpay, and ride Andersen into the ground. They'll end up doing it anyway.

Leafs cant afford the cap hit for Andersen after next season, when he's due a new contract.

Geo could be a solid stop-gap until whatshisface in 3 or 4 seasons

This is one of the main reasons that Toronto is a pretty good landing area for Georgie boy. Also he plays behind an absolute defensive system of anarchy here with the Rangers....He's used to it!!! :rofl: