• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Georgiev is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans?

Phil

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget. What's Georgievs status as far as the expansion draft goes?

I really don't see them being extraordinarily high on him. Maybe earlier in the season, when they didn't know if Shesty was going to adapt so fast...

He's GOTTA be available. They can totally cash in on what looks like a flash in the pan.. I mean he doesn't scream out starter for me at all..

Rangers are best with Georgie and Igor splitting time. They are the future. You can live with their mistakes.

But no one will want to take Hanks contract. It’s just not happening. Who can afford 7m for a now mediocre goalie?

Can’t quantify this but I’d venture a guess that on a better team he’d be a better goalie.

Statistically, on the youngest team in the league with a porous defense that gives up a ton of shots and high danger chances, he’s actually above average.

They’d eat salary to facilitate a deal surely and any team is only on the hook for the prorated portion of $7 million in salary this year and only $5.5 million next year, minus what the Rangers eat.

I forget. What's Georgievs status as far as the expansion draft goes?

I really don't see them being extraordinarily high on him. Maybe earlier in the season, when they didn't know if Shesty was going to adapt so fast...

He's GOTTA be available. They can totally cash in on what looks like a flash in the pan.. I mean he doesn't scream out starter for me at all..

Part of the reason they like him as much as they do and why he may be in the plan is because he’s seriously exceeded expectations.

He went undrafted.

Got an invite to development camp. Impressed and earned a shot.

Played well in Hartford. Earned a promotion and has played well here

2 1/2-3 years ago , they did not believe he’d be in the mix where he is now.

After doing all of that, he’s essentially forced them to reconsider.

And you don’t know if he’s a full-time starter until he gets the chance as one.

Phoenix or Colorado are both very viable options for Hank. I cannot see Hank not wanting to go and try for a cup; hell it's a year and a half. Colorado is the answer if we retain some salary. The isles would keep him in NY or the Devils but both of those are a snowball's chance in hell.

Georgie would have to be protected but Sheshty does not, so the expansion draft is not an issue. They have to expose one goalie with an NHL contract, but they can either give a minor league goalie one or pick up a nobody with one.

The Sheshty recall was no doubt motivated by the KHL option rather than giving Hank a push, but you have to believe that there would be nothing Gorton would like more than to receive a call from Hank's agent saying he has reconsidered. I've said all along, buying out Hank is not out of the question (that's not saying it is more likely than not).

I will say that if I were the GM of any one of about a dozen teams with less than stellar goaltending, I would be on the phone with Gorton about Georgiev. It's a great chance to pick up a goalie who is certain to be a solid No. 2 and very possibly a No. 1 for a modest price.

If you are an organization committed enough to the future to have done the McDonaugh-Miller trade for picks and prospects and to unload Hayes and Zucc for picks and prospects, shouldn't you be doing what is necessary to keep both Sheshty and Georgie as a 1-1a tandem whatever feathers must be ruffled to do it?

Georgie would have to be protected but Sheshty does not, so the expansion draft is not an issue. They have to expose one goalie with an NHL contract, but they can either give a minor league goalie one or pick up a nobody with one.

The Sheshty recall was no doubt motivated by the KHL option rather than giving Hank a push, but you have to believe that there would be nothing Gorton would like more than to receive a call from Hank's agent saying he has reconsidered. I've said all along, buying out Hank is not out of the question (that's not saying it is more likely than not).

I will say that if I were the GM of any one of about a dozen teams with less than stellar goaltending, I would be on the phone with Gorton about Georgiev. It's a great chance to pick up a goalie who is certain to be a solid No. 2 and very possibly a No. 1 for a modest price.

If you are an organization committed enough to the future to have done the McDonaugh-Miller trade for picks and prospects and to unload Hayes and Zucc for picks and prospects, shouldn't you be doing what is necessary to keep both Sheshty and Georgie as a 1-1a tandem whatever feathers must be ruffled to do it?

That's why this report surprises me. I assumed Georgie was first out the door. If there is any truth to this, the Rangers are at least trying to do the right thing. It remains to be seen if they can pull it off.

Georgie should be traded. He'll be traded eventually anyway when Huska, Wall or the Swede are ready.

The Lundqvist crap is over the top and uncalled for. He's not the issue. He's just as good as Geo and for next year fine to split time with Shesty.

The year after, you have 3 goalies coming, one of which is likely to be suitable to tandem with Shesty.

There is literally no reason to keep Geo who's been pretty terrible for weeks now.

Georgie should be traded. He'll be traded eventually anyway when Huska...

There is literally no reason to keep Geo who's been pretty terrible for weeks now.

1. I saw Huska in Hartford a week ago and the guy looks very capable. Handles the puck well too.

2. Geo? i don't have the stats to go by, but I'm wondering if Geo's issues are related to our D? The NYR defense remains in need of help. Absent an upgrade in play or personnel, we are not going to be a 'deep' plyoff team. Defense (and a hot goalie) win Cups.

Georgie should be traded. He'll be traded eventually anyway when Huska, Wall or the Swede are ready.

The Lundqvist crap is over the top and uncalled for. He's not the issue. He's just as good as Geo and for next year fine to split time with Shesty.

The year after, you have 3 goalies coming, one of which is likely to be suitable to tandem with Shesty.

I think you’re right.

Though I don’t think it’s ridiculous for them to approach Hank again if a team came to them with a good offer. But it’s probably an impossibility, even if it makes sense on a level for him to go elsewhere

Geo probably goes and he should. There’s other goalies in the system and Shesty projects as the way better goalie long-term.

I was leaning towards him getting dealt in the summer, but with 3 goalies up now, I don’t know that it can wait 6 months. They can probably roll with it for a little while, like to the deadline, but someone has to go and sooner rather than later.

I think you’re right.

Though I don’t think it’s ridiculous for them to approach Hank again if a team came to them with a good offer. But it’s probably an impossibility, even if it makes sense on a level for him to go elsewhere

Geo probably goes and he should. There’s other goalies in the system and Shesty projects as the way better goalie long-term.

I was leaning towards him getting dealt in the summer, but with 3 goalies up now, I don’t know that it can wait 6 months. They can probably roll with it for a little while, like to the deadline, but someone has to go and sooner rather than later.

After a few more games they'll know what they have in Shesty, they can send him down for a few games while they work on a Geo trade.

After a few more games they'll know what they have in Shesty, they can send him down for a few games while they work on a Geo trade.

I think that’s how it plays out too at this point.

I’m just saying it’s hard to let it play out until June. They can’t carry 3 goalies for the rest of the season and I don’t know how much they can yo-yo Shesty, especially if he plays pretty well.

You have to play him if u want to trade him. Cant have him being scratched or backuping

In line with that, I think Pete is right. They let Shesty play some, see how he does, and then probably send him back down and look for a deal for Georgiev while he and Hank go back to splitting time.

In line with that, I think Pete is right. They let Shesty play some, see how he does, and then probably send him back down and look for a deal for Georgiev while he and Hank go back to splitting time.

I think sending Shesty back down if he is performing well sends the wrong message. I'd roll 3 goalies and limit Hank's starts before I do that. He'll know it's temporary, and if he can't deal with that then he should consider waiving his NMC.

@rmc51 -- yup, that's the harsh reality.

Either Shesty accepts (and understands) another trip to Hartford in order to showcase G some more before he's moved, or Hank has to not put on a long face and wear a suit in the Press Box for a week or two. Seriously doubt he would go for that so an amusing platoon program will be in effect.

I think sending Shesty back down if he is performing well sends the wrong message. I'd roll 3 goalies and limit Hank's starts before I do that. He'll know it's temporary, and if he can't deal with that then he should consider waiving his NMC.

Any reassignment to Hartford would be temporary too.

It’s a concern of mine too, sending him back down. But I don’t think it’s a deal breaker