• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Georgiev is in Rangers' Long-Term Plans?

Phil

Paraphrased from the January 9 edition of 31 Thoughts the podcast:

Friedman: "In a perfect world, Lundqvist has one year left on his contract. You assume that's it. Two years from now, it's Georgiev and Shesterkin, right? That's your team."

Marek: "But there's three goalies there."

Friedman: "Well, that's what I'm saying. In a perfect world, that's what you're doing."

Marek: "In a perfect world, the three-goalie system works."

Friedman: "Yes."

Marek: "In the real world, it doesn't."

Friedman: "Well, even [Eric] Comrie last week when I did the piece with him, he talked about how tough it was to have three goalies in Arizona. This is New York. Imagine what that's like with all the media. The other thing is, you have to make sure it works with this kid. He has one start. You never know. He's gonna have his ups and downs, he's gonna have his tough moments. You've got time. I do know of one team — I know they were looking at [backup] goalies — and I said “have you thought about Georgiev,” and they said they don’t think he’s available because he’s in the Rangers long-term plans. We’ll see. I don’t think anybody is untradeable, but I do think the Rangers do look at this with a long-term view.”

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a big believer in having a 1 and 1a goalie situation. the days of 70 starts are over imho. However for as much as I love Georgiev, I feel he is more of a 1 rather than a 1a. That being said as it looks like Igor is the real deal and that realistically Hank not going anywhere for 1-1/2 years you really have no choice but to move Georgy.

But this is just another case where handing out 8 year no move/trade deals to 32 year olds should be a fireable offense.

• Like 1

And if he doesn't want to? I mean the ball is completely in his court. Plus, it's not like that can say, "If you retire we'll put you on the coaching staff." They already have a goalie coach.

They did with Drury.

Or they can buy him out. It saves 3m next season, cost 1.5m the following.

I still think Georgiev gets moved at or by the deadline. I just don't see the 3 goalie thing being a legit option. I would be shocked if they took that route.

It's not a legit option. They have something in mind. Could be protecting Georgie from injury or just letting Hank know his time is up. I dunno what it is, but 3 goalies isn't the plan for the next season and a half.

Can?t carry 3 goalies

They want Hank to retire or ok a deal.

He should ok a deal. His playing time is cut and he has no shot of winning a Cup here in next 18 months.

Just as a talking point, Colorado has the cap space and even a 38 year old Lundqvist is an upgrade over Grubauer IMO who has limited playoff experience.

I like Grubauer and he?s done well for them and even won a Cup as a backup but I don?t think they win a Cup with him.

They?d have to figure out money if Hank agreed and Avs would have to figure out what to do with either Grubauer or Francouz.

Again just a talking point but I think there?s some teams out there who would have interest

If the truth was that they were trying to push out Hank, why is he starting tomorrow? Wouldn't it make the most sense then to start Georgiev tomorrow and let Hank sit in the press box for a few weeks rotating Shesh and Georgie?

I don't think the organization is willing to do that to him at all.

If the truth was that they were trying to push out Hank, why is he starting tomorrow? Wouldn't it make the most sense then to start Georgiev tomorrow and let Hank sit in the press box for a few weeks rotating Shesh and Georgie?

I can see one team taking him on and they're in our division.

I don’t know that they’re “pushing”, but maybe something lower down the ladder than that

I don’t think they’re trying to send a message, they have too much respect for him to do that. They’d just have a conversation. But maybe it’s more like, ok, we have these two kids. One is in the minors and dominating. There is an out clause. He’s Russian and excelled over there.

Maybe we bring him up and it expedites things

Lundqvist is in great shape and is no where near retiring but he should know that we won?t be winning a cup anytime soon so I can see him wanting to go to a team that has a chance of winning the cup?-everyone wants to win a cup. Leetch, Messier, Kovalev, Zubov even Graves ended their careers elsewhere. Playing for more than 1 team is not an end all be all thing.

Players leave and are always welcomed back and even get their numbers retired and get a player appreciation day and/or get a Job within the organization, etc..

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Lundqvist is in great shape and is no where near retiring but he should know that we won’t be winning a cup anytime soon so I can see him wanting to go to a team that has a chance of winning the cup—-everyone wants to win a cup. Leetch, Messier, Kovalev, Zubov even Graves ended their careers elsewhere. Playing for more than 1 team is not an end all be all thing.

Players leave and are always welcomed back and even get their numbers retired and get a player appreciation day and/or get a Job within the organization, etc..

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

This x 100

I get that he loves NY and has a wife and 2 young daughters and relocating sucks. But it would not be a long-term thing.

And conceivably with people talking about him possibly playing beyond this contract, he’d likely have to relocate at that point.

He’d have options and total control where he went