• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Tony DeAngelo Could Put Rangers in Salary-Cap Hell

Phil

But it had been a big day for No. 77 on Wednesday, too, and neither he nor the Blueshirts even played. That?s because 25-year-old Calgary defenseman Rasmus Andersson signed a six-year contract extension worth $4.55 million per that will kick in next season upon expiration of his entry-level deal.

Andersson had a career total of 31 points (five goals, 26 assists) in 135 career games entering the Flames? home match against the Wild on Thursday. DeAngelo has 36 points (11-25) in 43 games this season.

How?s that for a comparable?

How high do you think DeAngelo?s numbers will climb when the arbitration-eligible pending restricted free agent sits down to talk turkey following the season? And how much space will the Rangers have with which to work under the cap when that time arrives?

For the longest time, DeAngelo was the guy whose production was going to price him out of New York. It wasn?t only going to be the money either, for a guy whose exploits in his own zone still can leave much to be desired. Because the right side of the blue line is deep, with Jacob Trouba and Adam Fox here and the extremely impressive Nils Lundkvist, the 28th-overall selection of 2018, on the way, perhaps as soon as next season following a standout performance for Sweden in the World Juniors.

So it seemed as if DeAngelo would be expendable. But DeAngelo, a righty, is very comfortable on the left, where he played nearly all his junior career in Sarnia. So there is that. There is this too: Nobody gives away defensemen with the tools No. 77 brings to the rink. Nobody gives away offensive forces like this. If the Rangers are going to trade DeAngelo, they had better get a premium, young, power forward with controllable contract years in return.

https://nypost.com/2020/01/10/how-tony-deangelo-could-put-rangers-in-salary-cap-hell/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

There is a snowballs chance that either Tkachuk is moved for ADA straight up

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I didn't mean to imply they would. I don't think either would actually trade Tkachuk at all. What I really meant is that a deal involving ADA needs to be quality. Not interested in unproven assets like picks or prospects.

I didn't mean to imply they would. I don't think either would actually trade Tkachuk at all. What I really meant is that a deal involving ADA needs to be quality. Not interested in unproven assets like picks or prospects.

You are 100% correct that if he were dealt he’d have to bring back A LOT. Defensemen with his offensive skill don’t grow on trees.

But at this point they really need to do whatever they can to keep him around.

Got to believe management has him in the plan moving forward.

You are 100% correct that if he were dealt he’d have to bring back A LOT. Defensemen with his offensive skill don’t grow on trees.

But at this point they really need to do whatever they can to keep him around.

Got to believe management has him in the plan moving forward.

I think so too, but in that I see two options:

1) Move one of Trouba/Tony D/or Fox to the left side.

2) Trade Trouba.

I don't see them keeping a right side of Trouba/ADA/Fox. They need more even distribution of talent or they'll have major holes at other positions.

It looks like he really loves being a Ranger, so wouldnt surprise me if he agreed to a salary-friendly 4-5y contract, and I hope we sign him.

He can play on the left, Trouba can be moved, Lundkvist might not be a NHL player (I think he will, but you never know). DeAngelo is having an amazing season and he just keeps getting better. We knew about his potential when we got him, but he had some issues he needed to sort out. Now it seems like everything is fine, he?s playing amazing hockey and then we?re gonna trade him? It doesnt really make sense.

It looks like he really loves being a Ranger, so wouldnt surprise me if he agreed to a salary-friendly 4-5y contract, and I hope we sign him.

He can play on the left, Trouba can be moved, Lundkvist might not be a NHL player (I think he will, but you never know). DeAngelo is having an amazing season and he just keeps getting better. We knew about his potential when we got him, but he had some issues he needed to sort out. Now it seems like everything is fine, he’s playing amazing hockey and then we’re gonna trade him? It doesnt really make sense.

I don't think DeAngelo is going to agree to a salary friendly contract after he got bullied into a 1 year min deal this year, nor should he do that.

I think so too, but in that I see two options:

1) Move Tony D to the left side.

2) Trade Trouba.

I don't see them keeping a right side of Trouba/ADA/Fox. They need more even distribution of talent or they'll have major holes at other positions.

The trade Trouba thing is out there now

I don’t know how they pull that off

I don't think DeAngelo is going to agree to a salary friendly contract after he got bullied into a 1 year min deal this year, nor should he do that.

He didn't get bullied, he got boxed out. There's a difference. Stepan got bullied.