• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What to do with Jesper Fast?

We've spent much time talking about CK's status here but what about Jesper. Guy is an unsung dude who can play up and down the lines. He's 28 and in the last year of a 1.85 mln deal.

Personally I feel we need guys like this. If the money is o.k. I'm fine with giving him some term.

Love a lunch pail guy who is a pro and goes about his business.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most/all unrestricted free agents (by way of age), it comes down to term. He's a fine, albeit unspectacular player who has developed into a quality leader on the team. There's value in that. Just not a lot.

If he's OK with something like 2.5x3, they'll probably just keep him, but there's a pretty visible ceiling to how much you should pay players like this and an even clearer limit on how long. Loyalty can be synonymous with death in this business. Especially when you award it to players who haven't actually won you anything.

They most certainly would not get more for him than they got for Zucc. He's more than a fourth liner and less than a first liner. He's been here for a long time, wears an A, and is the players' player every year for reasons beyond the ken of some posters. He's not likely to wear out soon. He can be had for a reasonable amount. Sign him.

They most certainly would not get more for him than they got for Zucc. He's more than a fourth liner and less than a first liner. He's been here for a long time, wears an A, and is the players' player every year for reasons beyond the ken of some posters. He's not likely to wear out soon. He can be had for a reasonable amount. Sign him.

would you say he's a second liner then?

You won't get much for him in a trade so I'm not sure what the point would be. He's playing on a line with Panarin and while everyone makes Strome's play out to be the effect of playing with Bread, somehow Fast has not gotten any benefits. His stats are not impressive at all.

Apparently he's a leader of some kind but his ideal role is on the 4th line, so pay him like a 4th liner. His greatest attribute is utility which will be perfect when the expansion draft comes around.

You have to trade him at the deadline. They'll probably get more for Fast than what they got for Zuccarello.

If he wants to come back short and cheap (max 3y, max 2m per) then I'd re-sign him.

Fast has 17 points while playing with Panarin all season. How would they possibly get more for him than Zucc?

Theres no way they get more for him than Zucc. zucc came one goal away from netting a first round pick. He’s a role player that can be moved up in a pinch. If he takes a team friendly contract then so be it. If he’s shooting for a pay day then see ya.

Fast is a pretty good 4th liner on the right team.

Picture Fast on the 4th line with a team like St Louis, Arizona, Washington or even Toronto, who needs some defensive-forward players badly in my opinion. He adds that "you're not scoring on us" mentality to a club, while bringing some limited offensive skill with him.

The issue with Fast for the Rangers is that he's 29, and Jesper has work boots that are older than most of the Ranger's rookies these days....plus, he may be blocking an up and coming player.

The days of a first-rounder for Paul Gaustad are long gone. Players moved in deals for a first last year included Hayes (the only one on deadline day), Montour, and Duchene. Marcus Johansson — a better player by most measures — went for a second- and a fourth-round pick. Nyquist went for a second- and third-rounder. Hagelin went for a third- and sixth-rounder.

Fast is probably a third- and fifth-rounder. In other words: not very much at all.

Fast might play up and down the lineup but it doesn't mean he can. He was terrible with Panarin.

He's a capable bottom 6. Ideal 4th liner and good PK work on a competitive team. Can fill in 3rd line when injury strikes. He should never be anywhere near top 6.

2.25M max. Ideally 1.75-2M. I'm fine with 3-4 years.

Fast might play up and down the lineup but it doesn't mean he can. He was terrible with Panarin.

He's a capable bottom 6. Ideal 4th liner and good PK work on a competitive team. Can fill in 3rd line when injury strikes. He should never be anywhere near top 6.

2.25M max. Ideally 1.75-2M. I'm fine with 3-4 years.

That’s about where I’m at on him too.

If he’s on a 3rd line, it doesn’t kill you, but ideally I’d prefer a player who can give you more offense in that spot.

I might not be correct but I think Panarin and Strome have been more effective with Fast on their line than anyone else.

that's possible and I thought about this as well but what does he bring to that line that may make them more effective? Panarin and Strome are both possession players while Fast is a forechecker. Not sure what he brings to their line other than offensive incompetence.

im such a naysayer

I might not be correct but I think Panarin and Strome have been more effective with Fast on their line than anyone else.

He grinds well. Keeps pucks moving along the boards well. The Zibby goal last night was all his work along the boards before sending it across to ADA. He's been okay on the line. Terrible is inaccurate. However, he is replaceable if he wants too much $ imo.