• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What to do with Jesper Fast?

Pionk went from a career 57.2 dZS% with the Rangers to a 44.9 dZS% with Winnipeg.

Trouba went from a career 50.4 dZS% with Winnipeg to a 58.7 dZS% here.

Coupled with the fact that this team has been terrible on faceoffs for a while, our top pairing defensemen are put behind the 8 ball a lot in their own zone.

This really probably means Pionk wasn't as bad as we thought given his unfavorable usage, but his new favorable usage with the Jets also probably means he's not as good as his stats imply.

Pionk is what he is. A good offensive defenseman who is undersized and below average or below defensively who needs to play under very specific usage in order to get the best out of him.

Not sheltered minutes in terms of limiting his ice time, but sheltered in that he’s bolstered by who is out there with him whenever he is on the ice

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skejz is 25, could be just coming into his own this year. Plays been better of late.

I get on him a lot too, Slobby....Even though I know defenseman go through the whole ups and downs thing until they find their game. It's hard to be patient when I've seen him do it correctly before and now I see him doing things that are just not working for him, or the team concept of defense.

I know man...PATIENCE!!! ;)

...where's that Guns 'N Roses song again!!!

Pionk went from a career 57.2 dZS% with the Rangers to a 44.9 dZS% with Winnipeg.

Trouba went from a career 50.4 dZS% with Winnipeg to a 58.7 dZS% here.

Coupled with the fact that this team has been terrible on faceoffs for a while, our top pairing defensemen are put behind the 8 ball a lot in their own zone.

This really probably means Pionk wasn't as bad as we thought given his unfavorable usage, but his new favorable usage with the Jets also probably means he's not as good as his stats imply.

Remember this quote when we're talking about Skjei in Seattle.

Skjei could definitely benefit from better and more appropriate utilization and maybe a different coaching approach in terms of correcting or at least improving his flaws defensively.

Maybe it’s a system thing too in that maybe he isn’t quite right to play within what Quinn wants out there. But I don’t know. Struggled under AV too. Different system. Different coach.

I do believe that his nice year as a rookie probably had a lot to do with him playing bottom pair minutes (17:30 a night) and 58% offensive zone starts.

What for? It can be admitted now that his usage isn't favorable any longer. However, Skjei's favorable usage behind McDonagh in his 2nd and 3rd years should have led to an improvement in play. He actually regressed and they still gave him a fat contract. It's unsurprising, and also not his fault, that he's had trouble staying afloat with a much increased role in defensive zone situations and usage since then.