• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How to Get Rid of Brendan Smith?s Cap Hit

The Dude

So, this guy has crawled out of the category of useless/ not good enough. But he's still in the category of vastly overpaid.

With so many injuries around the league, teams have to be starving for NHL quality D men. Smith had success before last season and I really think he can play at an ok level in this league. But that contract...

My question is, since he has made himself useful as a forward, but in actuality is still a D man, why isn't he either being dealt for future considerations, or just floated out on waivers every other week?

Crap, eat half that contract. Just dump it. Freeing up another 2 mill in space would be worth taking that hit and getting next to nothing in return. I'd get it if they were using him on D, but this forward experiment isn't really a fit right now.

Sorry it didn't work out for Smith. Seems like a decent dude. But cap space.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Ozzy it won't kill us to keep him another year.

He's a pretty good insurance policy, as attested to last night, Paddy. It was good for him to step in for Lindgren, after he wasn't able to answer the bell. Also he's been fairly decent on that 4th line. Granted he hasn't the hands of Mario Lemieux, he's been serviceable as a 4th liner.

After next season he'll be gone and we'll have that much more cap space without screwing shit up with buyouts. Happy New Year my man!! Long time no speak!! :)

if we can find a way to move his deal we have to. But nobody is going to take that deal on. Not this year at least.

$4.35 mil for a 4th liner who isn't even a natural forward is a waste. Not to knock him. money aside, he's proven he is versatile and is willing to do what it takes to stick around and that kind of work is appreciated. But the cap hit is too large to ignore. If someone, somehow is willing to take him on, you have to do it.

Maybe he can be packaged with Lias Anderson somehow? I don't see any scenario where that works though. Either way, while he's here, keep doin what you're doin. but the moment an opportunity comes to move his contract, you have to take it.

if we can find a way to move his deal we have to. But nobody is going to take that deal on. Not this year at least.

$4.35 mil for a 4th liner who isn't even a natural forward is a waste. Not to knock him. money aside, he's proven he is versatile and is willing to do what it takes to stick around and that kind of work is appreciated. But the cap hit is too large to ignore. If someone, somehow is willing to take him on, you have to do it.

Maybe he can be packaged with Lias Anderson somehow? I don't see any scenario where that works though. Either way, while he's here, keep doin what you're doin. but the moment an opportunity comes to move his contract, you have to take it.

How? Here's not one, but two trash players?

I'm thinking they just buy him out over the summer, rather than worrying about this. Even if you eat half, you still have to throw something in to entice a team to take him.

1st year - $2,783,333 (Compared to $4.35m or $2.175 if you eat half via trade)

2nd year - $783,333

If they feel it’s a total necessity, he gets bought out.

If not, they ride it out with him next season.

And maybe possible that at the deadline next year, when he’s not owed much at that point, he gets dealt to someone that needs a veteran depth defender that can play a little wing if needed, and they get a 5th rounder back for him

There is no worry on moving out him, Staal, or Hank and their contracts.

Having them on the books for another 18 months isn’t getting in the way of anything

• Like 1

If they feel it’s a total necessity, he gets bought out.

If not, they ride it out with him next season.

And maybe possible that at the deadline next year, when he’s not owed much at that point, he gets dealt to someone that needs a veteran depth defender that can play a little wing if needed, and they get a 5th rounder back for him

There is no worry on moving out him, Staal, or Hank and their contracts.

Having them on the books for another 18 months isn’t getting in the way of anything

my thoughts exactly, plus the 6million shatty jammy next year

I'm thinking they just buy him out over the summer, rather than worrying about this. Even if you eat half, you still have to throw something in to entice a team to take him.

2nd year - $783,333

those are very favorable buyout numbers. Bye Smitty

2nd year - $783,333

Factor in cost of replacement you don't really save anything, so it depends if the replacement is better or if it's another Haley or McKegg.

If we don’t get rid of him or Staal, we can probably say goodbye to one of Lemieux, Strome, or ADA unless you pray they all or at least 2 of 3 push off long term negotiations for short team prove me deals again. Just my opinion. Personally I’d rather see them get rid of Smith and or Staal and try to sign those 3 to a tad more than you like but will be considered bargains 2-3 years down the road.

my thoughts exactly, plus the 6million shatty jammy next year

Yeah

No team is ever looking to add dead cap space.

It might though, be something they look at if they’re seriously wanting to keep all their own guys around (Strome, ADA, Fast, etc.) and they figure that they have to buy out Smith to facilitate all of that.

Factor in cost of replacement you don't really save anything, so it depends if the replacement is better or if it's another Haley or McKegg.

i'd buy him out and re-sign Fast for 2M. if Kravtsov or another rookie make the club next season, there's no replacement cost

In a vacuum it does, but not when you add of the other dead cap space to it.

When you add Shattenkirk, Girardi, & Spooner to that dead cap hit, you are looking at 10.277 million on players that you are paying not to play.

cost of making quick decisions, I guess. what can you do?

Thank you. People omit to do this and I'm always saying this. Is you retain half and his replacement is making $2.175, you've saved nothing. You can probably find a McKegg at $1.175 and save a million bucks.

Thank you. People omit to do this and I'm always saying this. Is you retain half and his replacement is making $2.175, you've saved nothing. You can probably find a McKegg at $1.175 and save a million bucks.

Agree completely

Better to stick with the guy you know for another 12-18 months

He has no value now, but next year at deadline, his versatility alone, at a million four left, probably finds them a taker.