• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stats Don't Lie — We're Sellers

LindG1000

*Not to be confused with being buyers, necessarily.

I think they will get a few change of scenery guys, and I want to see them continue to compete. As Quinn said... appease the hockey gods. But it would be great to see meaningful hockey games to close out the season.

I was hoping for that too. Having a shot late at a WC would have been nice. And good for the young guys.

But I don’t think we’re going to get that.

The length of the season I think will start to catch up to the young guys, they’re going to lose a key veteran at the deadline.

Top-10 pick, here we come

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping for that too. Having a shot late at a WC would have been nice. And good for the young guys.

But I don’t think we’re going to get that.

The length of the season I think will start to catch up to the young guys, they’re going to lose a key veteran at the deadline.

Top-10 pick, here we come

this is what i am hoping for at this point. along with the idea that anyone traded gets a near ready player bak in return

this is what i am hoping for at this point. along with the idea that anyone traded gets a near ready player bak in return

This is an...interesting year to think about asset collection.

We're holding two of the top 5 RFAs this year. Taking back players with salary at the TDL might be hard, but flipping those assets at the draft may not be. NHL ready prospects that could be players aren't easy to trade for, but RFAs on teams with internal caps and cap issues could be.

This is an...interesting year to think about asset collection.

We're holding two of the top 5 RFAs this year. Taking back players with salary at the TDL might be hard, but flipping those assets at the draft may not be. NHL ready prospects that could be players aren't easy to trade for, but RFAs on teams with internal caps and cap issues could be.

Who are the other 3 top 5 RFAs in your book?

• 4 weeks later...

Still 6 points back of a WC spot, despite going 12-6 since this thread was made.

However, they are 6 points back for either WC spot now. The Islanders and Blue Jackets are in freefall mode. The Canes and Leafs are vulnerable. At this point, I think the Rangers are legitimately better than all 4 of these teams. Is there enough time to make up the ground?

Definitely enough time to do it. Fricking Shesty is 7-1. Hell, we could sneak in and get some experience which would be a real step forward this year. But that would be dependant on keeping CK and Tony D. No way this team keeps performing at this level without those 2.

Well, they're 6 points out with 23 games to go. Even though they have to catch 3 out of Carolina, Columbus, Toronto, and the Islanders, you'd be hard pressed to say they're out of it.

I still don't believe they'll do it, but if they can keep up their form since the ASB they could go very close.

There's definitely an argument that they might be better off getting a top 10 pick in a draft where that almost guarantees a really good player, but I'm quite enjoying this.

Definitely enough time to do it. Fricking Shesty is 7-1. Hell, we could sneak in and get some experience which would be a real step forward this year. But that would be dependant on keeping CK and Tony D. No way this team keeps performing at this level without those 2.

Starting to wonder where this team would currently be if Shesty was here for even just an extra month. We might be talking 6 points better...at least.

In some ways these are kind of playoff games and a good experience for Shesterkin and the like to have. Whether they get in or not, I think they benefit from this either way. Shesterkin has come in totally unfazed and un-rattled when it's basically crunch time here. An actually postseason berth would be great, but again, going through this is still a very good experience.

That's certainly crossed my mind. It's a big "what if" imo.

They'd be Toronto. They can score, can't defend a lick, and if the goalie isn't superhuman, you lose. No grit at all.

Better chance to make it, but still one series and done.

This team hangs with the best of em'. They have taken a big step forward this year. Hard to think CK could be on the way out. Does that change our trajectory? I think so. It's like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. With our record of first round picks. ....are we better keeping CK especially for the culture that has grown here? This team works hard. I'd like to see that continue....talk about leading by example this year. Damn. Fluke, anomaly or otherwise, CK stepped up HUGE this year and made a statement.

They'd be Toronto. They can score, can't defend a lick, and if the goalie isn't superhuman, you lose. No grit at all.

Sure, and we'll never know. But if you want to play what ifs, what if they called him up in January? It's not totally wild to imagine they'd have 3 more wins.

13/13 on the PK was a stat up last nite. PP clicking. Dee effort's been better since the A star break and they seem to have a better idea of what kind of lines the bottom 6 should be.

Points to St. Louis, why not us? however than ur not a seller. you move Kreids, you take a big bite out of this team. he's now a leader on this team.

They're better defensively than Toronto. I think the Rangers try to play defense and have improved a lot there as the season has moved on. Toronto acts like they have 5 forwards and a goalie on the ice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Either way, if they do eek into the post season, we'd have Boston, Tampa, Pittsburgh or the Capitals. In a 7 game series against any of those teams (barring what they do at the deadline), that's a 5 game series in a best case scenario.

I'd rather see them miss the playoffs, take the top 10 draft pick (and whatever we get for Kreider), continue the rebuild and focus on the season after next for the start of the dynasty.

Well, they're 6 points out with 23 games to go. Even though they have to catch 3 out of Carolina, Columbus, Toronto, and the Islanders, you'd be hard pressed to say they're out of it.

I still don't believe they'll do it, but if they can keep up their form since the ASB they could go very close.

There's definitely an argument that they might be better off getting a top 10 pick in a draft where that almost guarantees a really good player, but I'm quite enjoying this.

Columbus rode a hot goaltender up the standings, that ride is done. Unless they get back Jones and Atkinson sooner than expected, they're catchable.

Toronto - I'd focus on Florida, instead. Toronto sneaks in as the 3rd. Florida is 4pts ahead of the Rangers having played an extra game. Florida is also in a weird spot and should be selling with Hoffman, Boyle, Dadonov and Pysyk all on expiring contracts.

That leaves you with Carolina, Philly, Islanders and Rangers for 3 playoff spots.

Theyre there... I just dont know if they can hold on. You cant expect Shesterkin to continue to carry the load.

Getting beat in 5 or 6 as the WC isn't worth years 5,6, and 7 on a Kreider extension.

I'm so torn on this

Part of me thinks, give it a go. show faith in your youth and let them know you think they are good enough now. they are winning, have a goalie they are confident in who looks like he's capable of stealing games the same way Hank has always been, and they are very close to a spot. even if you get bounced in the first round its an amazing learning experience/opportunity to breakout for all the young guns

other part of me is thinking, if Kreider leaves and we could have gotten a top prospect, another first, and more for him, it's hard to pass up

Either way, if they do eek into the post season, we'd have Boston, Tampa, Pittsburgh or the Capitals. In a 7 game series against any of those teams (barring what they do at the deadline), that's a 5 game series in a best case scenario.

I'd rather see them miss the playoffs, take the top 10 draft pick (and whatever we get for Kreider), continue the rebuild and focus on the season after next for the start of the dynasty.

Tampa Bay with 62 wins and 128 points was "unbeatable" last year. Then they got swept in the first round by 8 seed, 98 point Columbus. Outlier? Maybe, sure. But it shows that anything can happen, however improbable.

If the Rangers do happen to make up the ground to get in the playoffs though, it would mean they have been one of the best teams since January. That's not the kind of team you hope to face in the first round if you are the 1 or 2 seed!

Even if we made the playoffs we are not gonna go far. Keeping what we have just to make the playoffs so that then we can have 1 or 2 players walk off via free agency is not gonna help us in the long run. This is our opportunity to add 1 or 2 young players to the team for the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Even if we made the playoffs we are not gonna go far. Keeping what we have just to make the playoffs so that then we can have 1 or 2 players walk off via free agency is not gonna help us in the long run. This is our opportunity to add 1 or 2 young players to the team for the next couple of years.

This is more of where I think we oughtta go...

Maybe, but there's only one way to find out.

Part of me wants to see NYR playoffs for the experience the young guys will get...and for the ?you never know? Cinderella effect - heck we could win a Cup with Henrik and Igor. Wouldn?t that be something? Pinch me!

We could also use a continuation of the rebuild and sale/trade for assets. While not as sexy or fun, it is a bit more stabilizing to our long term future and increases the odds in our favor of the ultimate goal - a Cup.