• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stats Don't Lie — We're Sellers

LindG1000

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bad contracts are keeping them from having a solid lineup. Staal, Brendan Smith, Skjei, etc. Agreed they are getting closer.

But compare the 4 forward lines the Lightning or Penguins or Bruins can roll to the 4 forward lines the Rangers can roll. That's the kind of depth you need to be a contender and make a deep run, as evidenced by St Louis last year.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/tampa-bay-lightning/line-combinations/

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/pittsburgh-penguins/line-combinations/

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/boston-bruins/line-combinations/

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/new-york-rangers/line-combinations/

Enjoy the winning streak, they are precious. We are getting a jolt from Shesterkin, and our offense is blistering hot. Recognize as well how top-heavy and dependent we are on Panarin, Zib, and Kreider to score goals. It's nice scoring 4,5,6 goals in the dog days of February. But as our roster is currently constructed our next playoff opponent only has to focus on shutting down a few players, and we will struggle to score.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/NYR/new-york-rangers

The bad contracts are keeping them from having a solid lineup. Staal, Brendan Smith, Skjei, etc. Agreed they are getting closer.

But compare the 4 forward lines the Lightning or Penguins or Bruins can roll to the 4 forward lines the Rangers can roll. That's the kind of depth you need to be a contender and make a deep run, as evidenced by St Louis last year.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/tampa-bay-lightning/line-combinations/

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/pittsburgh-penguins/line-combinations/

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/boston-bruins/line-combinations/

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/new-york-rangers/line-combinations/

What's the difference between this year and next then? Those contracts aren't going anywhere, and they aren't holding any prospects back. Maybe Hajek and Rykov, but they could be added now if the Rangers wanted to or felt they are better suited than Staal and Smith. Skjei isn't that bad. Who is being held back by going for it this year?

It doesn't make any sense to me when people say that the team as constructed, is holding them back from contending. Next year isn't going to be any different, except maybe you don't have DeAngelo, Strome, and Lemieux due to them needing raises.

I'm not going to compare teams on paper. If teams won because of how good their roster looks, the Rangers would have a bunch more cups in their history than they do. The Rangers currently have 3 lines that are absolutely buzzing. They are piecing together a more deployable 4th line The D is shaping up. The goaltending is playing amongst the top of the league..

Teams go on unexplained runs. This is shaping up to possibly be one of those runs.

Right now, the Rangers can and HAVE hung in with these teams you have listed. Let's not act like this current team is playing so poorly.

I'm not saying don't improve the team. I'm saying they don't HAVE TO have a firesale again. If they can get value for Skjei. Great. I do that, because I think they can backfill his spot from within NOW. Fast? I was never a fan, and I'd dump him and backfill with Uncle Giuseppe. Obviously if they can dump Staal or Smith, you do that too. Again, all of these spots can be backfilled from within NOW.

I don't see an in-house replacement for Kreider. Nor do I see a free agent available in the summer that can fill that spot. I only deal Kreider if negotiations are THAT far apart. But I think if you deal Kreider this run is over immediately.

Enjoy the winning streak, they are precious. We are getting a jolt from Shesterkin, and our offense is blistering hot. Recognize as well how top-heavy and dependent we are on Panarin, Zib, and Kreider to score goals. It's nice scoring 4,5,6 goals in the dog days of February. But as our roster is currently constructed our next playoff opponent only has to focus on shutting down a few players, and we will struggle to score.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/NYR/new-york-rangers

Not sure how that makes the Rangers any different than any team. Sometimes teams CANT shut down 2 offensive lines.

Why would it be that much different in the playoffs? Teams aren't focusing on on the obvious talent in the top 2 lines the Rangers are currently putting out there? I know the playoffs are a different animal, but who's to say the Rangers top players, don't take it to that next level? Or the 3rd line rookies don't apply the gas and bust it open?

Troubas game can certainly be elevated. DeAngelo could wreak havoc on offense.

Staal might wake up.

Lindgren has playoff hockey written all over him.

Fox is a gamer.

Pieces are here man. Just because it took half the season for it to click, doesn't mean it should be denied that it's happening.

Not sure how that makes the Rangers any different than any team. Sometimes teams CANT shut down 2 offensive lines.

Why would it be that much different in the playoffs? Teams aren't focusing on on the obvious talent in the top 2 lines the Rangers are currently putting out there? I know the playoffs are a different animal, but who's to say the Rangers top players, don't take it to that next level? Or the 3rd line rookies don't apply the gas and bust it open?

Staal might wake up.

Fox is a gamer.

Pieces are here man. Just because it took half the season for it to click, doesn't mean it should be denied that it's happening.

I've actually said it a few times. I thought we were underachieving for a while this year. We are clicking and might be plsykg a tad above our head but especially in the first round, we could easily make some noise. Plus we really have evolved our game to shut down chances later in games.

Staal might wake up.

Fox is a gamer.

Love the fan-goggles. No use employing logos here against pathos arguments. Hey, it feels good to enjoy the ride, so enjoy the feeling that the Rangers are the equal to the Bruins, Lightning, Penguins, and Capitals. I wish I lived in your world.

Love the fan-goggles. No use employing logos here against pathos arguments. Hey, it feels good to enjoy the ride, so enjoy the feeling that the Rangers are the equal to the Bruins, Lightning, Penguins, and Capitals. I wish I lived in your world.

I'm willing to bet the Rangers have better or just as good of a record than all of those teams (besides the Lightning obviously with that streak) since the all-star break. How aren't they as good?.

I mean look at the wins!

Tampa- 40

Boston- 39

Penguins- 37

Caps- 37

Rangers- 34.

Tell me again about this huge gap. Tampa is some next level shit, but everyone else?

Rangers 10 wins in last 13

Boston 10 wins in last 11

Penguins 6 wins in last 10

Caps 3 wins in last 10

No chance they are currently on par with these teams? I mean the Pens really aren't very impressive roster wise. Crosby, Malkin... That's about it. Their D sucks, their goalie is losing it.

I think they have turned that corner. Guess you disagree.

I say fuck it. Keep everyone. Show the team where they believe they are and ride it for as long as it goes. Okay, I get it. Losing the chance to get an asset but still. The experience they get is irreplaceable and a young team like this learns from management confidence. Put the ball in guys like Kreider's court by saying we want you but please remember we kept you in good faith when negotiating. It's rare but there are a few guys NHL wise that have left a bit of money on the table to help the team. Kreider is "heady" and he might see the big picture here.

It's just going to mean the end of a few other guys forcefully or not. It's still what, is best for the club though.

• Like 1

It's playoffs, man. All you need is a ticket to the dance and some sort of lightning catching bottle. The best team in the modern era got swept out of the first round last year, an 8th seed won a cup in the last decade, the best team in the East 4 years running made the final once. Logos doesn't apply to the playoffs.

I'm not saying we're built for it. I'm saying that randomness is a thing.

It's playoffs, man. All you need is a ticket to the dance and some sort of lightning catching bottle. The best team in the modern era got swept out of the first round last year, an 8th seed won a cup in the last decade, the best team in the East 4 years running made the final once. Logos doesn't apply to the playoffs.

Even if we made the playoffs and didn't go too far, that experience is huge

The Rangers were in the playoffs when they wrote the letter.

The circumstances haven't changed much. They're a team who's been bad all year, currently playing good hockey.

I don't know how you pass on the assets Kreider gets you so that 18-22 year olds can get 4 games playoff experience.

There's time for that.

https://elitesportsny.com/2020/02/22/new-york-rangers-trade-deadline-predictions/

If that is how it shakes out, please sign me up!

Move Kakko into Fast?s spot, & slide Tony D to the left side, and use the rest of the season as an experiment to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The circumstances haven't changed much. They're a team who's been bad all year, currently playing good hockey.

I don't know how you pass on the assets Kreider gets you so that 18-22 year olds can get 4 games playoff experience.

There's time for that.

Where's the opportunity for us to flip Kreider for a younger upside player, though?

Serious. Are you jumping up and down about a 1st and Kaut? Is this a reverse MSL trade where we are the Lightning?

I'm not really for keeping him at the terms he wants, and while this is exciting to watch, I agree you need to keep the process going. That said..I'm not sure there's a good enough deal to make me think the return we get - even in flippable assets - is meaningful enough to our chances to take the next step next year.

There's time for that.

We may not win the series, but as long as Panarin, Zib and Igor are on this team we ain't getting swept

Even if Igor falters we have a hungry ass Hank who may never get another chance again waiting in the wings

Where's the opportunity for us to flip Kreider for a younger upside player, though?

Serious. Are you jumping up and down about a 1st and Kaut? Is this a reverse MSL trade where we are the Lightning?

I'm not really for keeping him at the terms he wants, and while this is exciting to watch, I agree you need to keep the process going. That said..I'm not sure there's a good enough deal to make me think the return we get - even in flippable assets - is meaningful enough to our chances to take the next step next year.

“ You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to G1000 again.”

You’re a furrier, more left leaning version of me, lately.

• Like 1

I don't understand your last paragraph but the fact is they simply can't afford to pay Kreider in short term dollars and long term deal for him would be unwise. You simply have to trade him. While that makes the team worse in the short term, it makes us better (esp cap wise) long term.

Do you want to pay top dollar because of 3 months of a hot Kreider?

We may not win the series, but as long as Panarin, Zib and Igor are on this team we ain't getting swept

Even if Igor falters we have a hungry ass Hank who may never get another chance again waiting in the wings

OK, 5 games.

You can pay Kreider. But it means you cannot pay another player or 2. Means Tony D'Angelo barring some other player being dealt is a goner by July 1st. No other team is taking on Lundqvist, nor Smith, nor Staal , nor probably Skjei. Gorton would gladly send any of them packing for wads of used tape if only the other team would take the contract off the Rangers' books. Not happening between now and tomorrow afternoon.

Objectively any talk of a team taking on Lundqvist is a fever dream. His contract is an albatross, and his performance, little that there is since new Year, has been awful. Nobody can sell that to a fan base. And the NMC seals it.

In a way, the Blues and Jordan Binnington are an argument not to trade for such a veteran goalie. Why overpay for an over the hill goalie when your lightening in a bottle is at the end of your bench or at your AHL level? And further an argument for the Rangers to go with Igor for as long as he carries them.

With last night's win we're at roughly a 30% shot at a playoff spot. At this point it may be hard for Quinn, Gorton and JD not to give this team a chance to try. You cannot keep talking about The Future forever or you end up like Edmonton or Toronto. And this is not like the death throes of Detroit, duct taping an old team simply to get in.

Part of what makes the playoffs great, it's a new season, and 8 seeds do take out 1 seeds. So if the Rangers make the playoffs, they could win 4 rounds, and be Stanley Cup champions.

It's up to management to put together a roster capable of a deep playoff run, and coaches to put players into situations where they can be successful, establish a team philosophy, get players to play to their full potential.

If the Rangers make the playoffs and win a round or two - awesome, the rebuild would be ahead of schedule, and all credit to the organization.

But I'm against cherry-picking one of our best 15 game stretches in the last 3 years and saying, look, the rebuilding is complete, we can compete with the NHL elite. We're winning despite routinely giving up 40+ shots a game, so credit to Shesterkin for bailing us out, but the problems with our defensemen and our defensive zone haven't gone away.

And I'm in favor of management continuing to improve the team by a deadline deal or two, and moves in the offseason. The goal is not to have one lucky random playoff run. The goal is to build a consistent contender, and to have a 3-5 year window where we are capable of deep playoff runs, and finally winning at least one Cup. It's been too long.

You can pay Kreider. But it means you cannot pay another player or 2. Means Tony D'Angelo barring some other player being dealt is a goner by July 1st. No other team is taking on Lundqvist, nor Smith, nor Staal , nor probably Skjei. Gorton would gladly send any of them packing for wads of used tape if only the other team would take the contract off the Rangers' books. Not happening between now and tomorrow afternoon.

Objectively any talk of a team taking on Lundqvist is a fever dream. His contract is an albatross, and his performance, little that there is since new Year, has been awful. Nobody can sell that to a fan base. And the NMC seals it.

In a way, the Blues and Jordan Binnington are an argument not to trade for such a veteran goalie. Why overpay for an over the hill goalie when your lightening in a bottle is at the end of your bench or at your AHL level? And further an argument for the Rangers to go with Igor for as long as he carries them.

With last night's win we're at roughly a 30% shot at a playoff spot. At this point it may be hard for Quinn, Gorton and JD not to give this team a chance to try. You cannot keep talking about The Future forever or you end up like Edmonton or Toronto. And this is not like the death throes of Detroit, duct taping an old team simply to get in.

I don't think Lundqvist is unmovable. I honestly think if he waived his NTC, that a team like Colorado would take him at 50% retention. Just as long as the cost in trade isn't at Lundqvist at his elite level.

Plus, I don't agree with you that he's been awful. He's been fine. Some games he's elite, some games he's been average. He's used to being the work horse. Guy needs to play and have something to play for.

He's movable.

As for Skjei. He's definitely movable. You'd be getting a little less back in value, but he's not a super bad contract. He's just making too much money for the Rangers going into next season. He's deemed replaceable from within.

IMO it all falls on whether or not Kreider can be signed to a very team friendly deal. It all starts and stops there. Guess we'll just have to wait it out.

Question for the knowledge... If Kreider signs an extension, does it count towards this seasons cap hit? Can they say they agree to one that starts at seasons end? I forget how that works.

But I'm against cherry-picking one of our best 15 game stretches in the last 3 years and saying, look, the rebuilding is complete, we can compete with the NHL elite. We're winning despite routinely giving up 40+ shots a game, so credit to Shesterkin for bailing us out, but the problems with our defensemen and our defensive zone haven't gone away.

And I'm in favor of management continuing to improve the team by a deadline deal or two, and moves in the offseason. The goal is not to have one lucky random playoff run. The goal is to build a consistent contender, and to have a 3-5 year window where we are capable of deep playoff runs, and finally winning at least one Cup. It's been too long.

Bingo.

I'm not saying tank for a pick. Wanna make the playoffs? Go for it.

That doesn't mean you keep/pay guys like Kreider because you're thinking you can make some kind of run.

I think the best course is to stay patient with the rebuild and not get caught up in this hot streak and Kreider run. We are too young, too top heavy, and still have significant holes. We turned the corner and will have cash to fill holes after 2021.

Giving Kreider 6/$42m means we don’t keep a young player down the road. His play has maxed his trade value and we should cash it in. Tougher than previous years but we should be big time sellers.