• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Stats Don't Lie — We're Sellers

LindG1000

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think even if they don't make the playoffs, playing all these meaningful games down the stretch is really going to help them anyway. I know they've had some stinkers, taken some periods "off", but overall this team has a lot of heart and fortitude. I can see it.

If you go through a sell-off, the games are no longer meaningful. The team lost it at the deadline last season and fucking sank.

If you go through a sell-off, the games are no longer meaningful. The team lost it at the deadline last season and fucking sank.

The death knell last season seemed to be trading Zucc. That move seemed to have the most negative affect, especially on Hank. You could really see the team totally lost even without playing a game. This year there isn't that or a McDonagh in year's past, etc. Not that trading Kreider and more wouldn't do the same to this year's team, though. It's a tough call. Maybe they keep Kreider, but that probably means losing DeAngelo, Fast, etc.

I think even if they don't make the playoffs, playing all these meaningful games down the stretch is really going to help them anyway. I know they've had some stinkers, taken some periods "off", but overall this team has a lot of heart and fortitude. I can see it.

this is where i lean more to. You cant rebuild forever. We have tons of youth in the pipeline and other young players on the roster. We can keep saying every year, time to sell we arent winning a cup this year until our young guns are approaching free agency themselves. Or, management can say they have faith in the players.

This season, the purpose wasn't to win the cup, it was to become competitive again. lets get these kids playing competitive hockey down the stretch. the experience will be worth as much as anything

• Like 1

Part of me wants to see NYR playoffs for the experience the young guys will get...and for the “you never know” Cinderella effect - heck we could win a Cup with Henrik and Igor. Wouldn’t that be something? Pinch me!

We could also use a continuation of the rebuild and sale/trade for assets. While not as sexy or fun, it is a bit more stabilizing to our long term future and increases the odds in our favor of the ultimate goal - a Cup.

You can do both.

If we can't keep Kreider on an acceptable deal, we really have to trade him. The assets would be too much to pass up. That, however, does not stop us from flipping some of those assets - even in the coming days - for a player with term who can join us right now, or a key RFA piece.

There's no rule saying that you're either rebuilding or going for it, and I think that's what consistently good teams have realized.

These games aren't meaningful they're desperate.

we're going into tonight 6 points back of the team we're chasing

a regulation win tonight puts us right there. I don't think it's fair to say they aren't meaningful. Still, desperate hockey is good. I want to see these young guys step up when it matters most. I say lets give them that chance

also ahead of us are the isles who are losing games at the worst possible time for them and a Panthers team that hasn't gotten goaltending this year. we're in the mix

• Like 1

a regulation win tonight puts us right there. I don't think it's fair to say they aren't meaningful. Still, desperate hockey is good. I want to see these young guys step up when it matters most. I say lets give them that chance

also ahead of us are the isles who are losing games at the worst possible time for them and a Panthers team that hasn't gotten goaltending this year. we're in the mix

This team is abjectly bad in almost every defensive category. They get absolutely worked when Panarin is shut down.

Making the playoffs to say you made them, and keeping players instead of selling, is a terrible move for this team right now.

This type of impatience is another reason you can't rebuild in NY.

Isles cratering; 2 goals in 4 road losses. Can't lose enough for me, but talk about a team that has to make a trade NOW.

This team is abjectly bad in almost every defensive category. They get absolutely worked when Panarin is shut down.

Making the playoffs to say you made them, and keeping players instead of selling, is a terrible move for this team right now.

I conveniently just saw these stats tweeted

Since Jan 7th (arbitrary date I know)

3rd in wins (12), 2nd in regulation wins (11), 4th in goals per game (3.39), 5th in goals against per game (2.56), top PP (34%) and and 8th in PK (83.7%)

They are hot. I'm not saying they are like the Blues last year. But turn of the new year they got hot, have a hot young rookie goalie and are winning games.

I don't quite understand all the advanced stats, and I'm not discounting their importance, but if they keep up what they've been doing they can certainly make the playoffs and go in confident. Kakko looks like he's playing much better and if he starts scoring they could put something together.

3rd in wins (12), 2nd in regulation wins (11), 4th in goals per game (3.39), 5th in goals against per game (2.56), top PP (34%) and and 8th in PK (83.7%)

They are hot. I'm not saying they are like the Blues last year. But turn of the new year they got hot, have a hot young rookie goalie and are winning games.

I don't quite understand all the advanced stats, and I'm not discounting their importance, but if they keep up what they've been doing they can certainly make the playoffs and go in confident. Kakko looks like he's playing much better and if he starts scoring they could put something together.

they'll make the playoffs and Trump will win the second term. its a win-win for everybody

• Like 1

Agreed 1000%!!! This squad has no business trying to "go for it" right now. It does absolutely no good losing guys with very high value to Free Agency and get zero in return.

This rebuild still needs to go one more year to unload all the bullshit that Sather stacked up as luggage:

Brendan Smith - no team's taking him...he blows!

Marc Staal - No team's taking him either...he had a nice career, but he moves like he has a load of shit in his pants

Hank - Thanks for the memories! He gets an "almost" for the Finals run, but it's time for the King to commence his farewell tour next season.

Shattenkirk - $6.43 million next year to a "buyout"

Ruff needs to get the hell out from behind the bench. That defensive coach bullshit is over! He sucks!

Once all this crap is off the books and resolved, THEN we'll get our shit in gear to make a serious run at the playoffs!

Think about who they'd have to play in R1 and then tell me that they're "gonna make a run".

But of course, find the cash to re-sign Ryan Strome. Just trade that Kreider guy I don't like.

So let me get this straight...

You think $5/4 max for Strome the RFA at 26....

And $8/8 for Kreider UFA at 29...not to mention the haul you'd get for him...

Are somehow the same thing? :rofl:

Think about who they'd have to play in R1 and then tell me that they're "gonna make a run".

if they sit pat and end up tanking post-deadline I'll eat crow. But I think, from a management standpoint, at some point you gotta show some belief in the guys you have. they aren't playing like a team that wants to keep rebuilding. We still have Prime Zbad and Breadman, some studs on the blueline and what might end up being a future Vezina winner. Let them try and prove it where it matters the most.

You can't just kick the can down the road forever. eventually you have to give it a go. I do recognize that if we can get a some serious haul for Kreider it's hard to pass up. But I don't think we are in the position where we need to blow things up again either.

if they sit pat and end up tanking post-deadline I'll eat crow. But I think, from a management standpoint, at some point you gotta show some belief in the guys you have. they aren't playing like a team that wants to keep rebuilding. We still have Prime Zbad and Breadman, some studs on the blueline and what might end up being a future Vezina winner. Let them try and prove it where it matters the most.

You can't just kick the can down the road forever. eventually you have to give it a go. I do recognize that if we can get a some serious haul for Kreider it's hard to pass up. But I don't think we are in the position where we need to blow things up again either.

You're right BBB, the only thing is that financially next season we're going to be hanging on to guys, and a significant buyout that are going to be falling off the cap after the season is complete. We'll only be kicking the can, as you say, for one more season. I think a rebuild of 3 years is not too bad....even for NY.

4 years down the pike, no one's going to remember Kreider and what he's doing now. It'll be a distant blur...especially when Kakko is holding the cup over his head in a parade down Broadway!!!

I'll gladly sacrifice another season to build this team that looks like it's going to be very special in a few seasons....especially if we can get some good returns on our high priced Free Agent inventory.

You're right BBB, the only thing is that financially next season we're going to be hanging on to guys, and a significant buyout that are going to be falling off the cap after the season is complete. We'll only be kicking the can, as you say, for one more season. I think a rebuild of 3 years is not too bad....even for NY.

4 years down the pike, no one's going to remember Kreider and what he's doing now. It'll be a distant blur...especially when Kakko is holding the cup over his head in a parade down Broadway!!!

I'll gladly sacrifice another season to build this team that looks like it's going to be very special in a few seasons....especially if we can get some good returns on our high priced Free Agent inventory.

not disagreeing with what you said, but the point im trying to make is that not only do i think keeping Kreider, even if he does end up leaving in UFA, is going to impact our kakko cup vision, but it might inevitably help it. These guys are gonna have to face the music so to speak of playoff hockey at some point. Tonight's game against the canes is a playoff game. Every game down the stretch needs to be a playoff game. I'd really like to see how this group reacts to the pressure when it matters most.

If tonight we get mopped I might change my tune. But right now, I think you gotta see what this team can do.

not disagreeing with what you said, but the point im trying to make is that not only do i think keeping Kreider, even if he does end up leaving in UFA, is going to impact our kakko cup vision, but it might inevitably help it. These guys are gonna have to face the music so to speak of playoff hockey at some point. Tonight's game against the canes is a playoff game. Every game down the stretch needs to be a playoff game. I'd really like to see how this group reacts to the pressure when it matters most.

If tonight we get mopped I might change my tune. But right now, I think you gotta see what this team can do.

Either way Triple B, I don't think it's going to be much of a measuring stick. One game is a very small sample size for a bunch of kids who are still finding a favorite chair to sit in ;)

I get what you're saying though...I just think it's too early yet...I was giving it another season before we let the big dog eat! I'm really liking some of the rookies' progress though! I just think we have something very special brewing and it's too early to take it outta the oven! LOL

Let's say the Rangers buck the odds and go on a St Louis type run anchored by Shesterkin, and get a wild card. They then draw Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, or Tampa Bay in the first round. The upshot is the kids would get some playoff seasoning. But given the issues in defense, and the lack of depth in our forward lines (we can't throw out Panarin, Zib, and Kreider (if he's still here) for 60 minutes), even getting to the second round would be a surprise.

We've still got some bad contracts to clear out. I don't mind a trade or two at the deadline if it improves our future prospects. We still need to build a better team to have a realistic chance of contending. I trust that the players here will maximize effort, and chase after that playoff spot, regardless of what moves management does or does not make.

I don't see the need to keep the rebuild train going. I don't trade any 1st rounders, but I don't think they need to keep stocking up on them.

This team AS IS can hang with almost any team and not look bad or outclassed. I can see them upsetting some top teams, and it's not just about Panarin. Chytil and Kakko are stepping up. They are building a 4th line. The D isn't the shit show it was in the first half.

Like it or not, that bun in the oven is kicking. I think they have some decent pieces that fit a playoff successful roster. Bit of grit. Some attitude and the ability to not take retaliation penalties. Add in decent goaltending..

Not sure what getting rid of the bad contracts has to do with going on a run with a hot team.