Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Stats Don't Lie — We're Sellers

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    we're going into tonight 6 points back of the team we're chasing

a regulation win tonight puts us right there. I don't think it's fair to say they aren't meaningful. Still, desperate hockey is good. I want to see these young guys step up when it matters most. I say lets give them that chance

also ahead of us are the isles who are losing games at the worst possible time for them and a Panthers team that hasn't gotten goaltending this year. we're in the mix
    This team is abjectly bad in almost every defensive category. They get absolutely worked when Panarin is shut down.

Making the playoffs to say you made them, and keeping players instead of selling, is a terrible move for this team right now.

This type of impatience is another reason you can't rebuild in NY.

Senior Member Midget Division
    we're going into tonight 6 points back of the team we're chasing

a regulation win tonight puts us right there. I don't think it's fair to say they aren't meaningful. Still, desperate hockey is good. I want to see these young guys step up when it matters most. I say lets give them that chance

also ahead of us are the isles who are losing games at the worst possible time for them and a Panthers team that hasn't gotten goaltending this year. we're in the mix
    Isles cratering; 2 goals in 4 road losses. Can't lose enough for me, but talk about a team that has to make a trade NOW.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This team is abjectly bad in almost every defensive category. They get absolutely worked when Panarin is shut down.

Making the playoffs to say you made them, and keeping players instead of selling, is a terrible move for this team right now.

I conveniently just saw these stats tweeted

Since Jan 7th (arbitrary date I know)

3rd in wins (12), 2nd in regulation wins (11), 4th in goals per game (3.39), 5th in goals against per game (2.56), top PP (34%) and and 8th in PK (83.7%)

They are hot. I'm not saying they are like the Blues last year. But turn of the new year they got hot, have a hot young rookie goalie and are winning games.

I don't quite understand all the advanced stats, and I'm not discounting their importance, but if they keep up what they've been doing they can certainly make the playoffs and go in confident. Kakko looks like he's playing much better and if he starts scoring they could put something together.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    cant see anything
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Banned Junior Division

3rd in wins (12), 2nd in regulation wins (11), 4th in goals per game (3.39), 5th in goals against per game (2.56), top PP (34%) and and 8th in PK (83.7%)

They are hot. I'm not saying they are like the Blues last year. But turn of the new year they got hot, have a hot young rookie goalie and are winning games.

I don't quite understand all the advanced stats, and I'm not discounting their importance, but if they keep up what they've been doing they can certainly make the playoffs and go in confident. Kakko looks like he's playing much better and if he starts scoring they could put something together.
    they'll make the playoffs and Trump will win the second term. its a win-win for everybody

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    But of course, find the cash to re-sign Ryan Strome. Just trade that Kreider guy I don't like.

Converted Naysayer Midget Division

Agreed 1000%!!! This squad has no business trying to "go for it" right now. It does absolutely no good losing guys with very high value to Free Agency and get zero in return.

This rebuild still needs to go one more year to unload all the bullshit that Sather stacked up as luggage:

Brendan Smith - no team's taking him...he blows!
    Marc Staal - No team's taking him either...he had a nice career, but he moves like he has a load of shit in his pants
    Hank - Thanks for the memories! He gets an "almost" for the Finals run, but it's time for the King to commence his farewell tour next season.
    Shattenkirk - $6.43 million next year to a "buyout"
    Ruff needs to get the hell out from behind the bench. That defensive coach bullshit is over! He sucks!

Once all this crap is off the books and resolved, THEN we'll get our shit in gear to make a serious run at the playoffs!

HNIC BSBH Legend

Think about who they'd have to play in R1 and then tell me that they're "gonna make a run".

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    But of course, find the cash to re-sign Ryan Strome. Just trade that Kreider guy I don't like.
    So let me get this straight...

You think $5/4 max for Strome the RFA at 26....

And $8/8 for Kreider UFA at 29...not to mention the haul you'd get for him...

Are somehow the same thing?

Think about who they'd have to play in R1 and then tell me that they're "gonna make a run".
    if they sit pat and end up tanking post-deadline I'll eat crow. But I think, from a management standpoint, at some point you gotta show some belief in the guys you have. they aren't playing like a team that wants to keep rebuilding. We still have Prime Zbad and Breadman, some studs on the blueline and what might end up being a future Vezina winner. Let them try and prove it where it matters the most.

You can't just kick the can down the road forever. eventually you have to give it a go. I do recognize that if we can get a some serious haul for Kreider it's hard to pass up. But I don't think we are in the position where we need to blow things up again either.

if they sit pat and end up tanking post-deadline I'll eat crow. But I think, from a management standpoint, at some point you gotta show some belief in the guys you have. they aren't playing like a team that wants to keep rebuilding. We still have Prime Zbad and Breadman, some studs on the blueline and what might end up being a future Vezina winner. Let them try and prove it where it matters the most.

You can't just kick the can down the road forever. eventually you have to give it a go. I do recognize that if we can get a some serious haul for Kreider it's hard to pass up. But I don't think we are in the position where we need to blow things up again either.
    You're right BBB, the only thing is that financially next season we're going to be hanging on to guys, and a significant buyout that are going to be falling off the cap after the season is complete. We'll only be kicking the can, as you say, for one more season. I think a rebuild of 3 years is not too bad....even for NY.

4 years down the pike, no one's going to remember Kreider and what he's doing now. It'll be a distant blur...especially when Kakko is holding the cup over his head in a parade down Broadway!!!

I'll gladly sacrifice another season to build this team that looks like it's going to be very special in a few seasons....especially if we can get some good returns on our high priced Free Agent inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    You're right BBB, the only thing is that financially next season we're going to be hanging on to guys, and a significant buyout that are going to be falling off the cap after the season is complete. We'll only be kicking the can, as you say, for one more season. I think a rebuild of 3 years is not too bad....even for NY.

4 years down the pike, no one's going to remember Kreider and what he's doing now. It'll be a distant blur...especially when Kakko is holding the cup over his head in a parade down Broadway!!!

I'll gladly sacrifice another season to build this team that looks like it's going to be very special in a few seasons....especially if we can get some good returns on our high priced Free Agent inventory.
    not disagreeing with what you said, but the point im trying to make is that not only do i think keeping Kreider, even if he does end up leaving in UFA, is going to impact our kakko cup vision, but it might inevitably help it. These guys are gonna have to face the music so to speak of playoff hockey at some point. Tonight's game against the canes is a playoff game. Every game down the stretch needs to be a playoff game. I'd really like to see how this group reacts to the pressure when it matters most.

If tonight we get mopped I might change my tune. But right now, I think you gotta see what this team can do.

not disagreeing with what you said, but the point im trying to make is that not only do i think keeping Kreider, even if he does end up leaving in UFA, is going to impact our kakko cup vision, but it might inevitably help it. These guys are gonna have to face the music so to speak of playoff hockey at some point. Tonight's game against the canes is a playoff game. Every game down the stretch needs to be a playoff game. I'd really like to see how this group reacts to the pressure when it matters most.

If tonight we get mopped I might change my tune. But right now, I think you gotta see what this team can do.
    Either way Triple B, I don't think it's going to be much of a measuring stick. One game is a very small sample size for a bunch of kids who are still finding a favorite chair to sit in

I get what you're saying though...I just think it's too early yet...I was giving it another season before we let the big dog eat! I'm really liking some of the rookies' progress though! I just think we have something very special brewing and it's too early to take it outta the oven! LOL

rebuilding Junior Division
    Let's say the Rangers buck the odds and go on a St Louis type run anchored by Shesterkin, and get a wild card. They then draw Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, or Tampa Bay in the first round. The upshot is the kids would get some playoff seasoning. But given the issues in defense, and the lack of depth in our forward lines (we can't throw out Panarin, Zib, and Kreider (if he's still here) for 60 minutes), even getting to the second round would be a surprise.

We've still got some bad contracts to clear out. I don't mind a trade or two at the deadline if it improves our future prospects. We still need to build a better team to have a realistic chance of contending. I trust that the players here will maximize effort, and chase after that playoff spot, regardless of what moves management does or does not make.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

I don't see the need to keep the rebuild train going. I don't trade any 1st rounders, but I don't think they need to keep stocking up on them.

This team AS IS can hang with almost any team and not look bad or outclassed. I can see them upsetting some top teams, and it's not just about Panarin. Chytil and Kakko are stepping up. They are building a 4th line. The D isn't the shit show it was in the first half.

Like it or not, that bun in the oven is kicking. I think they have some decent pieces that fit a playoff successful roster. Bit of grit. Some attitude and the ability to not take retaliation penalties. Add in decent goaltending..

Not sure what getting rid of the bad contracts has to do with going on a run with a hot team.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Haven't the rangers been rebuilding for at least three years,this hasn't been a quick fix at all ,this team is starting to turn the corner ,let's go with it, fuck rebuilding ,it's enough tanking

The bad contracts are keeping them from having a solid lineup. Staal, Brendan Smith, Skjei, etc. Agreed they are getting closer.

But compare the 4 forward lines the Lightning or Penguins or Bruins can roll to the 4 forward lines the Rangers can roll. That's the kind of depth you need to be a contender and make a deep run, as evidenced by St Louis last year.
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/t...-combinations/
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/p...-combinations/
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/b...-combinations/
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/n...-combinations/

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Enjoy the winning streak, they are precious. We are getting a jolt from Shesterkin, and our offense is blistering hot. Recognize as well how top-heavy and dependent we are on Panarin, Zib, and Kreider to score goals. It's nice scoring 4,5,6 goals in the dog days of February. But as our roster is currently constructed our next playoff opponent only has to focus on shutting down a few players, and we will struggle to score.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/...w-york-rangers

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    The bad contracts are keeping them from having a solid lineup. Staal, Brendan Smith, Skjei, etc. Agreed they are getting closer.

But compare the 4 forward lines the Lightning or Penguins or Bruins can roll to the 4 forward lines the Rangers can roll. That's the kind of depth you need to be a contender and make a deep run, as evidenced by St Louis last year.
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/t...-combinations/
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/p...-combinations/
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/b...-combinations/
    https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/n...-combinations/
    What's the difference between this year and next then? Those contracts aren't going anywhere, and they aren't holding any prospects back. Maybe Hajek and Rykov, but they could be added now if the Rangers wanted to or felt they are better suited than Staal and Smith. Skjei isn't that bad. Who is being held back by going for it this year?

It doesn't make any sense to me when people say that the team as constructed, is holding them back from contending. Next year isn't going to be any different, except maybe you don't have DeAngelo, Strome, and Lemieux due to them needing raises.

I'm not going to compare teams on paper. If teams won because of how good their roster looks, the Rangers would have a bunch more cups in their history than they do. The Rangers currently have 3 lines that are absolutely buzzing. They are piecing together a more deployable 4th line The D is shaping up. The goaltending is playing amongst the top of the league..

Teams go on unexplained runs. This is shaping up to possibly be one of those runs.

Right now, the Rangers can and HAVE hung in with these teams you have listed. Let's not act like this current team is playing so poorly.

I'm not saying don't improve the team. I'm saying they don't HAVE TO have a firesale again. If they can get value for Skjei. Great. I do that, because I think they can backfill his spot from within NOW. Fast? I was never a fan, and I'd dump him and backfill with Uncle Giuseppe. Obviously if they can dump Staal or Smith, you do that too. Again, all of these spots can be backfilled from within NOW.

I don't see an in-house replacement for Kreider. Nor do I see a free agent available in the summer that can fill that spot. I only deal Kreider if negotiations are THAT far apart. But I think if you deal Kreider this run is over immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Enjoy the winning streak, they are precious. We are getting a jolt from Shesterkin, and our offense is blistering hot. Recognize as well how top-heavy and dependent we are on Panarin, Zib, and Kreider to score goals. It's nice scoring 4,5,6 goals in the dog days of February. But as our roster is currently constructed our next playoff opponent only has to focus on shutting down a few players, and we will struggle to score.
    https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/...w-york-rangers
    Not sure how that makes the Rangers any different than any team. Sometimes teams CANT shut down 2 offensive lines.

Why would it be that much different in the playoffs? Teams aren't focusing on on the obvious talent in the top 2 lines the Rangers are currently putting out there? I know the playoffs are a different animal, but who's to say the Rangers top players, don't take it to that next level? Or the 3rd line rookies don't apply the gas and bust it open?
    Troubas game can certainly be elevated. DeAngelo could wreak havoc on offense.
    Staal might wake up.
    Lindgren has playoff hockey written all over him.
    Fox is a gamer.

Pieces are here man. Just because it took half the season for it to click, doesn't mean it should be denied that it's happening.
    Last edited by The Dude; 02-22-2020 at 11:19 AM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast