Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Stats Don't Lie — We're Sellers

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They'd be Toronto. They can score, can't defend a lick, and if the goalie isn't superhuman, you lose. No grit at all.

Better chance to make it, but still one series and done.
    They're better defensively than Toronto. I think the Rangers try to play defense and have improved a lot there as the season has moved on. Toronto acts like they have 5 forwards and a goalie on the ice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Either way, if they do eek into the post season, we'd have Boston, Tampa, Pittsburgh or the Capitals. In a 7 game series against any of those teams (barring what they do at the deadline), that's a 5 game series in a best case scenario.

I'd rather see them miss the playoffs, take the top 10 draft pick (and whatever we get for Kreider), continue the rebuild and focus on the season after next for the start of the dynasty.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Well, they're 6 points out with 23 games to go. Even though they have to catch 3 out of Carolina, Columbus, Toronto, and the Islanders, you'd be hard pressed to say they're out of it.
    I still don't believe they'll do it, but if they can keep up their form since the ASB they could go very close.

There's definitely an argument that they might be better off getting a top 10 pick in a draft where that almost guarantees a really good player, but I'm quite enjoying this.
    Columbus rode a hot goaltender up the standings, that ride is done. Unless they get back Jones and Atkinson sooner than expected, they're catchable.
    Toronto - I'd focus on Florida, instead. Toronto sneaks in as the 3rd. Florida is 4pts ahead of the Rangers having played an extra game. Florida is also in a weird spot and should be selling with Hoffman, Boyle, Dadonov and Pysyk all on expiring contracts.
    That leaves you with Carolina, Philly, Islanders and Rangers for 3 playoff spots.

Theyre there... I just dont know if they can hold on. You cant expect Shesterkin to continue to carry the load.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Getting beat in 5 or 6 as the WC isn't worth years 5,6, and 7 on a Kreider extension.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Getting beat in 5 or 6 as the WC isn't worth years 5,6, and 7 on a Kreider extension.
    I'm so torn on this

Part of me thinks, give it a go. show faith in your youth and let them know you think they are good enough now. they are winning, have a goalie they are confident in who looks like he's capable of stealing games the same way Hank has always been, and they are very close to a spot. even if you get bounced in the first round its an amazing learning experience/opportunity to breakout for all the young guns

other part of me is thinking, if Kreider leaves and we could have gotten a top prospect, another first, and more for him, it's hard to pass up

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Either way, if they do eek into the post season, we'd have Boston, Tampa, Pittsburgh or the Capitals. In a 7 game series against any of those teams (barring what they do at the deadline), that's a 5 game series in a best case scenario.

I'd rather see them miss the playoffs, take the top 10 draft pick (and whatever we get for Kreider), continue the rebuild and focus on the season after next for the start of the dynasty.
    Tampa Bay with 62 wins and 128 points was "unbeatable" last year. Then they got swept in the first round by 8 seed, 98 point Columbus. Outlier? Maybe, sure. But it shows that anything can happen, however improbable.

If the Rangers do happen to make up the ground to get in the playoffs though, it would mean they have been one of the best teams since January. That's not the kind of team you hope to face in the first round if you are the 1 or 2 seed!

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    Even if we made the playoffs we are not gonna go far. Keeping what we have just to make the playoffs so that then we can have 1 or 2 players walk off via free agency is not gonna help us in the long run. This is our opportunity to add 1 or 2 young players to the team for the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Converted Naysayer Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    Even if we made the playoffs we are not gonna go far. Keeping what we have just to make the playoffs so that then we can have 1 or 2 players walk off via free agency is not gonna help us in the long run. This is our opportunity to add 1 or 2 young players to the team for the next couple of years.

This is more of where I think we oughtta go...

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post

Maybe, but there's only one way to find out.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Stats Don't Lie — We're Sellers

Part of me wants to see NYR playoffs for the experience the young guys will get...and for the “you never know” Cinderella effect - heck we could win a Cup with Henrik and Igor. Wouldn’t that be something? Pinch me!

We could also use a continuation of the rebuild and sale/trade for assets. While not as sexy or fun, it is a bit more stabilizing to our long term future and increases the odds in our favor of the ultimate goal - a Cup.

Senior Member Bantam Division Sharpshooter's Avatar
    I think even if they don't make the playoffs, playing all these meaningful games down the stretch is really going to help them anyway. I know they've had some stinkers, taken some periods "off", but overall this team has a lot of heart and fortitude. I can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    I think even if they don't make the playoffs, playing all these meaningful games down the stretch is really going to help them anyway. I know they've had some stinkers, taken some periods "off", but overall this team has a lot of heart and fortitude. I can see it.
    If you go through a sell-off, the games are no longer meaningful. The team lost it at the deadline last season and fucking sank.

Senior Member Bantam Division Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    If you go through a sell-off, the games are no longer meaningful. The team lost it at the deadline last season and fucking sank.
    The death knell last season seemed to be trading Zucc. That move seemed to have the most negative affect, especially on Hank. You could really see the team totally lost even without playing a game. This year there isn't that or a McDonagh in year's past, etc. Not that trading Kreider and more wouldn't do the same to this year's team, though. It's a tough call. Maybe they keep Kreider, but that probably means losing DeAngelo, Fast, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    this is where i lean more to. You cant rebuild forever. We have tons of youth in the pipeline and other young players on the roster. We can keep saying every year, time to sell we arent winning a cup this year until our young guns are approaching free agency themselves. Or, management can say they have faith in the players.

This season, the purpose wasn't to win the cup, it was to become competitive again. lets get these kids playing competitive hockey down the stretch. the experience will be worth as much as anything

HNIC BSBH Legend
    These games aren't meaningful they're desperate.

Whatever, they're not playing meaningless games. That's important for player development.

Kreider's first game was in the playoffs. Now he's a top trade target..

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Whatever, they're not playing meaningless games. That's important for player development.

Kreider's first game was in the playoffs. Now he's a top trade target..
    Yes because one event surely caused the other.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    Part of me wants to see NYR playoffs for the experience the young guys will get...and for the “you never know” Cinderella effect - heck we could win a Cup with Henrik and Igor. Wouldn’t that be something? Pinch me!

We could also use a continuation of the rebuild and sale/trade for assets. While not as sexy or fun, it is a bit more stabilizing to our long term future and increases the odds in our favor of the ultimate goal - a Cup.
    You can do both.

If we can't keep Kreider on an acceptable deal, we really have to trade him. The assets would be too much to pass up. That, however, does not stop us from flipping some of those assets - even in the coming days - for a player with term who can join us right now, or a key RFA piece.

There's no rule saying that you're either rebuilding or going for it, and I think that's what consistently good teams have realized.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Yes because one event surely caused the other.
    hey look what some playoff experience did for TJ Turnover

These games aren't meaningful they're desperate.
    we're going into tonight 6 points back of the team we're chasing

a regulation win tonight puts us right there. I don't think it's fair to say they aren't meaningful. Still, desperate hockey is good. I want to see these young guys step up when it matters most. I say lets give them that chance

also ahead of us are the isles who are losing games at the worst possible time for them and a Panthers team that hasn't gotten goaltending this year. we're in the mix
    Last edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything; 02-21-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast