• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Grading Coach Quinn

CBrowningPI

For the youngest team in the league our only real problem is our defensive strategy. Quinn gives this team creative freedom so we run into pinching lot when on offense which creates odd man chances coming back. They also crowd their own net on D quite a bit. We end up screening the goaltender or just fractionally delaying his ability to see the puck. More often than not our goals against are due to those 2 issues. There is definitely some ironing out to do but we also understand that this isnt an ideal squad yet. We are just getting over the assessment period of these players as a team and there are going to be moves made. He clearly cares for these kids and is working with what he has. Quinn's doing just fine. He's also learning. Let them ALL develop. B+

I'm a c+. agree with most of HRC's comments. Not real happy he benches the 4th line for large stretches. I know we are young and he's trying to win but that has to be addressed down the road if we want to goto the next level.

I was intrigued about a post where they thought he would get out coached in the playoffs. would love to hear why.

on the positive the guy does not wilt in the nyc spot light.

young team with moves to be made. jury is still out. he has time in my opinion.

outside thought but how huge would it be if there was some way JD could entice Dale Hunter to come here and run this team.

I'd pay huge money to see that. Congrats to the Canadian kids, never quit and steamrolled the Ruskies in the third.

Interesting reading this thread.

The team is within striking distance for a wild card and many thought they'd be a lottery team even with Panarin and Trouba. That gets high marks in my book.

I have no issue with the way he handles players.I used to care alot about that stuff when I was younger, but over the years I've learned to trust the people who see the players every day to make the right decision. Even moreso now that JD is here. A lot of the complaints about the way he handles young players are just "He's not playing the guys I want him to, therefore terrible coach". There's a logic for all of it, whether we agree with it is another story. Yea the 4th line is plugs but I get why they're here and Kravtsov and Lias aren't. Regarding Lias specifically, I've nevr bought the narrative of the coach "putting him in a position to succeed". The kid's skills are just not NHL caliber, period, and we learned his temerament isn't either.If you think playing him with Panarin is going to give him feet or hands or hockey sense, then I don't know what to tell you.

All that said, a year and a half in and it's still almost impossible to discern any system or bradn of hockey that they want to play, team still has no identity and they don't execute nearly enough for me to say that Quinn is a great coach.

I think he's above average so I'd give him a B.

I think we need to evaluate Quinn from two different angles:

1) player/core development of the young players, which was the primary reason he was brought here

2) overall team performance

PLAYER/CORE DEVELOPMENT

The Good

• Filip Chytil - looks like a core player. Excited to see what he brings and how much he grows in the next couple of years. DQ has done a great job with him IMO. He has given him opportunity and put him in a position to succeed, both last year and this year after he got called back up.
  • Adam Fox - looks like a core player. I don't know how much credit to give DQ on this one. He looks like he was just one of those guys who was ready from the get go.
  • Tony DeAngelo - in terms of development, this is the guy who DQ has helped the most IMO. He'd been traded multiple times, and seemed to have trouble finding a home. Call it maturity issues. DQ spent last year really getting a message through his head. He gave him an opportunity to succeed and ADA responded well in the 2nd half last year. He's been great again offensively this year and showing some improvement defensively. ADA is a popular guy to be traded in Rangers world, but I'm finding it harder to believe that one of the players DQ has significantly helped groom is all of a sudden axed.
  • Ryan Lindgren - has helped him along nicely. Pairing him with Fox was a good idea.
  • Brendan Lemieux - Quinn lets him play his game. Doesn't tie his hands like a coach like AV probably would have. Lemieux has rewarded that and become a thorn in the side of the opposition.

The OK

• Pavel Buchnevich - was 23 when Quinn got here and still only 24. He he has gotten more engaged than he ever has been. Not afraid to fight for pucks or use his body anymore. Still feels like he has a lot of unlocked talent. I think that's more on Buch at this point than on Quinn. I think he's the kind of player that will put it all together and all of a sudden be a 25-30 goal 60-70 point guy, but it might not be here. We'll see.
  • Kappo Kaako - flashes talent but not consistent. Quinn's given him a significant amount of opportunity to be what was billed by many as a potential immediate franchise player. While it hasn't turned out that way, I think that's more on unreasonable hype rather than Kakko failing or DQ doing a poor job with him. He's doing a fine job with him, other than that ill-conceived benching in Calgary.
  • Libor Hajek - Looked a bit over his head before getting hurt, but had some good games earlier in the season. Unfortunately he got hurt, but I remember thinking he was having a rough stretch and needed to sit out for some games when Staal got back. I hope he comes back rejuvenated and ready to go.

The Bad

• Brett Howden - long time pet project for Quinn. I don't get it and I don't think I ever will unless he starts showing something that is only visible to Quinn in practice. This isn't as much of a reflection on Howden, who I think is a capable 4th line player at the moment. It's a reflection on Quinn for having kept him elevated in the lineup for entirely too long.
  • Lias Andersson - while LA deserves his fair share of blame, DQ continuously failed to put him in a legitimate position to succeed. The argument can be made that he was a spoiled brat and DQ saw this behind the scenes and it just didn't sit well with him. It may even right. Regardless, it was a big time failure by everyone involved - LA, DQ, Gorton, scouts, etc. Nobody is absolved of blame on this one.

Player Development Grade: B+

I think there has been substantially more good than bad.

TEAM PERFORMANCE

My main concern is that I don't see a consistent structure or system in place, which is what many have already stated in this thread. I think guys don't generally know where they need to be without the puck, especially in their own zone. Yes, DQ's hands are a bit tied with defensive personnel and having to roll out Brady Skjei and Marc Staal for 40 minutes a night, which is a Gorton problem to solve more than a DQ problem to solve, but the lack of any kind of team defense is concerning. I think we should have begun to see some semblance of this by now and we haven't. The other concern I have is they are frequently starting games slow, often finding themselves down 1,2,3-0 within the first 5-10 minutes of the 1st period. I'm unsure if either of these problems is a "DQ hasn't put a good system in place" more than a "players are still learning" issue, but it needs to change and we need progress there.

I look at the top end talent on the team and how they are performing, and it seems like the Rangers should be a bit better than their record. But with all the blemishes they are on pace for 84 points which is 6 more than last season. I think most projected them to be anywhere between 80-90 points and possibly flirting with a WC spot. Well, that's exactly where they are so maybe we just need a bit more patience until some of the young guys take another step forward towards being part of the core.

Team Performance Grade: C+

Conclusion

I currently care more about player development than immediate team success. This season was never about winning a lot of games. It was about developing players and a core, while letting the young kids get experience at this level and allowing some team chemistry to set in. It's not easy building chemistry when the team was/is still undergoing major changes. They purged players last year in DQ's 1st year, and I think they are going to move at least 3-4 players again prior to next year. It's hard to say DQ is the right or wrong guy yet. The jury is still out. For now, I think he's done fairly well in the area that matters the most though.

OVERALL GRADE: B/B-

Agree with almost everything said here.

I will ad, however that Quinn seems to get a lot out of his skill players and not much out of his shitty ones. Panarin, Zibanejad, Strome and even Buch are pacing career highs in points. While players like Haley, Smith, and McKegg have offered almost nothing.

The shitty members of the D corps like Staal and Skjei continue to be shitty, while players like DeAngelo and Fox play very well night after night.

For the youngest team in the league, though. I think they're pretty much where you'd expect. For me, maybe even slightly higher.

The biggest negative was the Andersson debacle, but at some point that kid needs to prove something and I think the fact that he's not just sitting out and not playing hockey at all tells you all you need to know about him.

I'm looking for a good finish but likely a noticeable drop in play once/if Kreider is traded. They'll miss the playoffs.

I will ad, however that Quinn seems to get a lot out of his skill players and not much out of his shitty ones. Panarin, Zibanejad, Strome and even Buch are pacing career highs in points. While players like Haley, Smith, and McKegg have offered almost nothing.

The shitty members of the D corps like Staal and Skjei continue to be shitty, while players like DeAngelo and Fox play very well night after night.

For the youngest team in the league, though. I think they're pretty much where you'd expect. For me, maybe even slightly higher.

The biggest negative was the Andersson debacle, but at some point that kid needs to prove something and I think the fact that he's not just sitting out and not playing hockey at all tells you all you need to know about him.

I'm looking for a good finish but likely a noticeable drop in play once/if Kreider is traded. They'll miss the playoffs.

This is an interesting take, IMO.

I think we're all clearly not seeing the system, but I can't help but wonder if there's a system, but the wrong personnel. We see flashes of good structure with the skill players on the ice. Is there no system, or is Staal just too slow? Skjei too lazy? Our fourth line too grindy?

"Everyone that's played with Panarin has done well"

Except for the guys who don't play with Panarin who are playing well... Like Zib, Buch, Chytil, Lemieux...

Zibanejad, sure. Great strides last season.

Chytil... Not sure I can say Quinn is doing much here

Buch is Buch... Just hasn't gotten as many benchings...

Lemieux ... I think that's just experience and playing time. Not like he's become a new or evolved player since the acquisition.

Fox , yes.

Lindgren got sent down twice.

It seems most guys getting to 23 years old are starting to turn it on. I'd just like to see more progress out of some of the younger guys. I do not think Quinn always outs them in place to their strengths which I believe is a big part to their development.

• 1 year later...
Just imagine this team without Panarin.

I?d be fine with the record if we were seeing a bunch of kids learning and progressing. We?re not. The kids here aren?t getting better. The ones that look better are simply getting more icetime in more favorable situations.

We want him to help the kids. He?s not.

He wants to win. They?re not.

I like a lot of what Quinn could be, but he?s Skjei.

1 year later, this post still applies. Not good.