• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Where to begin? Advice to get my little guy started in hockey

jsm7302

I dunno, my kid can skate like the wind but it just makes it harder to watch when he's a travesty to the family name. Looks great at a public skate, though.

I think the single most important thing for a kid to do is to love the sport and understand what it is you're trying to do out there. That's very hard to teach, really. After that, you're either an athlete, or you aren't.

I dunno, my kid can skate like the wind but it just makes it harder to watch when he's a travesty to the family name. Looks great at a public skate, though.

I think the single most important thing for a kid to do is to love the sport and understand what it is you're trying to do out there. That's very hard to teach, really. After that, you're either an athlete, or you aren't.

that's right. you either have it or you don't.

my son is about to turn 6 months old. I really was looking forward to getting him on the ice, but he was recently diagnosed with a pretty rare chromosomal syndrome that affects growth. My kid will need HGH from the time he's 2 until the time he's 18 to be a slightly below average height male. My wife is afraid of putting him in anything that burns calories when he gets older, because every calorie counts. However, I've seen children with this (through facebook groups, internet research, etc.) that play baseball.

I'm hoping that he gets to point where he can skate and play, but I don't think I'd ever have the chance to let him play competitively.

Pete, if your boy is healthy enough to play and expresses interest in it, let him do it brah.

my son is about to turn 6 months old. I really was looking forward to getting him on the ice, but he was recently diagnosed with a pretty rare chromosomal syndrome that affects growth. My kid will need HGH from the time he's 2 until the time he's 18 to be a slightly below average height male. My wife is afraid of putting him in anything that burns calories when he gets older, because every calorie counts. However, I've seen children with this (through facebook groups, internet research, etc.) that play baseball.

I'm hoping that he gets to point where he can skate and play, but I don't think I'd ever have the chance to let him play competitively.

Pete, if your boy is healthy enough to play and expresses interest in it, let him do it brah.

yeah Pete. we can all chip in and buy a spot on a team for your kid, if it comes to that.

If he wants to, he can. Rec or club. :-)

There is always inline hockey as well. Yea, there may not be a road to the NHL playing inline but if it is just for fun it is way less expensive than ice. There is youth competitive/travel leagues just the same as ice and there is even a collegiate league, more similar to ACHA(club), that is fairly reputable. Personally, my parents couldn't afford to put me through ice hockey growing up so I played inline. I played some travel, I played High School, and I played college. I didn't start playing ice until I was paying my own way haha. Unfortunately, I have heard the horror stories of parents paying their kids way onto teams. I haven't experienced it first hand as my oldest is still only 2.5 but friends with older kids have experienced it.

Spot on and getting to keep their interest at a young age is tough. Also, trying to teach you kid how to skate is not easy with the kids getting sore feet, falling down and your back from trying to help them.