• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo Reclamation Project: Close to Complete?

jsm7302

Moving DeAngelo over to the left side also doesn't have to happen right away. Fox is on an ELC for two more years, so hypothetically there is no rush to change the right side up too much unless Lundkvist comes banging on the door hard. Though I think a DeAngelo/Trouba pairing would be marvelous to watch right now.

They need to re-sign DeAngelo long term without hesitation, with an eye towards figuring things out by Summer 2022 when Fox is up for a new deal. Fox has been fantastic, but we've seen a few rookie defensemen over the last decade plus have great rookie seasons followed by regression. Ironically, one is currently still on the team. Fox still needs to prove his worth over the course of his contract. I don't doubt he will, but he's got two more years to prove it.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving DeAngelo over to the left side also doesn't have to happen right away. Fox is on an ELC for two more years, so hypothetically there is no rush to change the right side up too much unless Lundkvist comes banging on the door hard. Though I think a DeAngelo/Trouba pairing would be marvelous to watch right now.

They need to re-sign DeAngelo long term without hesitation, with an eye towards figuring things out by Summer 2022 when Fox is up for a new deal. Fox has been fantastic, but we've seen a few rookie defensemen over the last decade plus have great rookie seasons followed by regression. Ironically, one is currently still on the team. Fox still needs to prove his worth over the course of his contract. I don't doubt he will, but he's got two more years to prove it.

Right. I'm talking long-term. It would just need to happen prior to the point they're re-signing Fox.

man...I bet ADA would get you a nice younger replacement for Kreider.

Who?

The only guy I can think of that even resembles Kreider is Julien Gauthier and he's a total Wildcard at this point.

The point was made earlier, it's not about replacing 50 points.

Who?

The only guy I can think of that even resembles Kreider is Julien Gauthier and he's a total Wildcard at this point.

The point was made earlier, it's not about replacing 50 points.

its about replacing 50 points. you guys are digging waay to deep thinking he's more than that.

we're still in rebuilding mode (I think), so Kreider's replacement could be a young 1st or 2nd year NHLer.

Anyone know what Quin was barking at him about on the bench? There was a point where it looked like he and Quin were going at it as they were going to a commercial break and the camera was on him. I wanna say it was after he scored.

Gameday thread said it was probably about the penalty he took prior to scoring the goal. I don't recall the penalty though. Was that the phantom trip on Barzal or was that Skjei? I don't remember.

Anyone know what Quin was barking at him about on the bench? There was a point where it looked like he and Quin were going at it as they were going to a commercial break and the camera was on him. I wanna say it was after he scored.

Yeah, I did a lip-reading last night:

Link:

Gameday thread said it was probably about the penalty he took prior to scoring the goal. I don't recall the penalty though. Was that the phantom trip on Barzal or was that Skjei? I don't remember.

I didn't get to see his penalty, I just saw that exchange. It looked pretty heated though. Ruff had to come over and step in and talk to ADA, Quin walked away from him as he was talking to him.

Yeah, I did a lip-reading last night:

Link:

Nice, lol. I don't get why he would be that pissed to act like that over the penalty when he scored coming out of the box. ADA kept going back at him, can't imagine thats a good thing.

DeAngelo - Trouba

ADA played the left side a lot prior to coming to the NHL. Pairing him with Trouba would give him a bit more freedom, as well as a competent defensive partner. I?d like to see how Deangelo could play with the increased ice time and responsibility before giving him a long contract, too.

Although I was peddling this idea all summer, I'm not sure I do it, anymore.

In one sense, I dont think the Rangers have a guy the projects to be a #1D on the left side. Maybe Zac Jones, but the fact that he goes by "Zac" is enough to show he'd be above his head on the top pair. And I think my feelings for Miller are not as strong as most others. Additionally, the Rangers do have a ton of LHD in the system. That's one less guy we see in the NHL. Rykov, Lindgren, Skjei, Miller, Jones, Ragnarsson, Hajek, Robertson, Reunanen, and about 15 other later round picks.

Additionally, with the team makeup finally shifting towards 3 lines with offensive players, playing 2nd, 3rd pair (on the right) gives DeAngelo better matchups, and he helps those lines be more productive offensively, as well.

Quinn said he was going to take away 3 Quinn coins from DeAngelo's bank account, but because of the goal he was only taking 2. DeAngelo told him to close the account and shove the coins up his hole. I heard this from a guy who knows a guy who was sitting 4 rows back behind the bench.

I've never witnessed a single player at this level, in my 37 years, who went from D to wing and didn't look like a fish out of water.

Berard would be the best comp in this situation.

Deangelo is a defenseman, for better or worse. I don't really understand the obsession with the handedness of D-men. I think that's way overblown. Just move him over if you think you have to, though I don't know why you have to.

Brent Burns is the only guy who has done it and been successful. He’s bounced back and forth intermittently

Only other guys I can think of having done it did so out of a short-term (like a game or so) roster necessity.

I want to say Torts did it a couple of games with Stu Bickel years ago.