• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why isn't Kaapo Kakko in the AHL?

Phil

One thing to consider is that Kakko could get away with a lot of his bad habits, such as holding the puck too long, against the inferior competition. He'd be able to play the way he did at the World's and Preseason camp, and that might actually reinforce problems.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

considering people are calling him Ville Niemanen...

The Rangers will send him down there if they think it's best.

If by people you mean me, it was in jest and the point was that he’s currently playing like poo and was touted as someone that probably hasn’t taken anything less than a golden shit in his life. Technically though, although a bit older, Ville had nearly 40 points in his rookie season. He was older so whatever. Hopefully kaapo gets there soon.

I think that if they were going to send him to the AHL, the time to do so would have been right after training camp along with Chytil & Kravtsov. It would have so much easier to frame the conversation out as "You guys are the future, go down get big minutes playing together, and we will bring you up at the first opportunity as each of you continue to develop". As underwhelming as parts of his development have been 41 games into this season, he looks much farther along than a 19 year old Chytil did last season(who had the benefit of an entire AHL season and a 10 game call up his rookie year). Just like with Chytil, you see those flashes; it's just about an 18 year old figuring out how to consistently put it together against the best talent ion the world.

At this point with his recent dip in play, I cannot see how a trip to the AHL would be perceived as anything other than a demotion. To me, and this is purely my perception; the only thing missing from his game is confidence, and once some of that comes his way, I see a very realistic chance of everything just clicking into place.

Svechnikov who was also drafted #2 the previous year spent most of his rookie season on the third line in Carolina and finished slightly ahead of Kakko's pace. This season, he is lighting it up as an almost point per game player.

We as fans need to be much more patient.

• Like 1

Kakko is nowhere near where he needs to be in regards to skating, shooting, strength, decision-making, maturity, and shape to be on an NHL team. It's almost laughable trying to watch him backcheck. Every shift it looks like he's been out there for 1:30 the way he attempts to get back. The AHL will still be a step up from where he played last season. Sending him down will benefit him in so many ways. The only argument for not sending him down is because you worry about damaging his psyche. Watch him on the bench after a particularly bad shift. His psyche looks pretty damaged already.

I don't think any 18 year old should feel (or does feel) the AHL is a "demotion". It's a simple conversation. "Kappo you've played half a season here, and here's what we see. We're sending you 90 minutes north to Hartford with a list of things to work on. Don't focus on points, focus on this stuff. Get your confidence up, and you'll be back before you know it."

All of this "demotion" talk is fan's projecting how they'd feel. I doubt 18 year old pros feel that way.

I don't think any 18 year old should feel (or does feel) the AHL is a "demotion". It's a simple conversation. "Kappo you've played half a season here, and here's what we see. We're sending you 90 minutes north to Hartford with a list of things to work on. Don't focus on points, focus on this stuff. Get your confidence up, and you'll be back before you know it."

All of this "demotion" talk is fan's projecting how they'd feel. I doubt 18 year old pros feel that way.

I actually completely agree with you if the conversation is framed correctly by management. My concern is more how that conversation was communicated to Kravtsov & Andersson and their ability to do it productively.

Man you guys are really good at making a guy yoyo his opinion. "Send him to the AHL. Its perfect for his development, away from the bright lights, so he can get major quality ice time." Yea, that makes perfect sense, I totally agree with that, send him down. Then there is "How could that be better than staying up and practicing with NHL players, spending time off the ice with said NHL players, being coached by NHL coaches, and having access to an NHL training staff." That makes so much sense too, keep him up! Fuck if I know what they should do. I think both arguments hold water. I guess I'll trust the NYR braintrust to do what they think is best.
  • Like 2

I'd be careful with Svechnikov comparisons. That sets Kakko up poorly for next year. They do play kind of similarly in theory, but there's one big difference between tne two and that's skating. It's all about the skating.

This. His skating, balance and strength are not at an NHL level. He looks like Chytil last season minus the skating to a point. His 18 year old body will get there but hopefully he is spending time with a skating coach. I'm completely torn with regards to sending him down. I selfishly like to see his development on game nights and don't think getting a couple of minutes playing with Beleskey will help.

Man you guys are really good at making a guy yoyo his opinion. "Send him to the AHL. Its perfect for his development, away from the bright lights, so he can get major quality ice time." Yea, that makes perfect sense, I totally agree with that, send him down. Then there is "How could that be better than staying up and practicing with NHL players, spending time off the ice with said NHL players, being coached by NHL coaches, and having access to an NHL training staff." That makes so much sense too, keep him up! Fuck if I know what they should do. I think both arguments hold water. I guess I'll trust the NYR braintrust to do what they think is best.

Lol, this is exactly my thoughts reading this thread.

I dont know what?s best for him, but Im pretty sure they wont send him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I so second this!!!!

I love watching this kid and yeah, I'm a greedy bastard...I wanna watch our #2 overall pick blossom in front of my eyes.

Do I think it's a good idea to send him down? Hell yeah! BUT..

Do I wanna be able to see him every game?? Yeah!!!

Whatever they decide to do with him is fine by me. I'm sure they know what's best for the kid...but make no mistake...this kid is going to be THE FRANCHISE one day! :deadhorse:

Written in the Athletic, in an article about Kravtsov.

Applies, maybe even moreso, to Kakko.

?There?s a lot of factors that go into development of a hockey player,? Knoblauch said. ?So often you hear fans say, ?Just play the kid; play him and he?s going to develop.? That?s not ? just because you give a player ice time doesn?t mean it?s going to be positive. They?re not going to become a good hockey player just by getting ice time. They?ve got to be in a good situation of, one, being pushed and being in a situation where they?re going to succeed.

?Vitali?s a playmaker. If he plays in the American Hockey League he?s going to have the puck a lot more and be able to make plays and understand the North American game as opposed to being in the NHL right now where it?s the North American game but he?s not going to get the puck nearly as much because of the way the game is. He?s probably not going to be playing top six. So I think he?s in a really good position to work on some skills, get better, and it will be a matter of time before he is making a positive contribution to the Rangers.?

https://theathletic.com/1558215/2020/01/24/after-a-first-half-of-the-season-filled-with-detours-vitali-kravtsov-is-back-and-focused-in-hartford?source=shared-article

The demotion talk is not fan’s projecting. Kravtsov spent 4 months traveling the globe as he sorted things out. Anderson is gone and asked to be traded. Kakko seems similarly fragile. We are still rebuilding and Kakko appears to be developing at the NHL level. Maybe in the second half he gets more top 6 minutes and can build on it in the offseason and next year. He can work on things in practice.

Sounds to me like he's making good sense with those thoughts. I get the whole AHL thing and like I said, it probably does make sense to send Kakko down for a while to get his training wheels off. It worked pretty well for Chytil, so yeah...why not. I just think Kakko needs a break for a little bit. I think the summer is going to do him well.

You what's interesting, Pete. I wanna see what he looks like coming back after the All Star break. The rest may do him pretty well for a couple of games, before the NHL grind sets in again after 4 or 5 games back. I'm just really curious to see if he looks any different; Kinda like the beginning of the season, like Gravy mentioned earlier.

To Philly's comment..

We're in a "rebuild" and we're getting no, or minimal, contributions from any actual youth. Fox and Chytil are the only contributors thus far. Honorable mention to Lindgren.

Outside of tangible contribution, a lot of their stock has dropped sharply.

Lias? lol

Kravtsov? Nope.

Miller? Nope.

Howden? Nope.

Kakko? Nope.

Hajek? Nope.

To be sure, there's some bright lights as well, but these are from guys 2 or 3 levels below the NHL.

If the rebuild plan was to climb on Artemi Panarin’s back and have him get us back to semi respectability, well, mission accomplished I guess, but starting next year we're really going to need to see some results starting to percolate.

To Philly's comment..

We're in a "rebuild" and we're getting no, or minimal, contributions from any actual youth. Fox and Chytil are the only contributors thus far. Honorable mention to Lindgren.

Lias? lol

Kravtsov? Nope.

Miller? Nope.

Howden? Nope.

Kakko? Nope.

Hajek? Nope.

To be sure, there's some bright lights as well, but these are from guys 2 or 3 levels below the NHL.

If the rebuild plan was to climb on Artemi Panarin’s back and have him get us back to semi respectability, well, mission accomplished I guess, but starting next year we're really going to need to see some results starting to percolate.

Wasn’t that to be expected? How will things look if/when we deal Kreider, Fast, Strome, ADA? If we didn’t have some of the young guys developing at the NHL level who would be on the roster? They would be a similar burden for Panarin etc...

To Philly's comment..

Lias? lol

Kravtsov? Nope.

Miller? Nope.

Howden? Nope.

Kakko? Nope.

Hajek? Nope.

It was never about this year, but you're right that things haven't looked as good from the kids (under 21) as any had hoped. The only one who has been anywhere close to expectation is Chytil, and he's pacing 35 points over 82 games. So...not much production wise to hang our hat on yet.

At the same time, I still see enough from Chytil/Kakko that makes me think they will be much more significant contributors next year.