• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why isn't Kaapo Kakko in the AHL?

Phil

I do like the idea of the "kid Line" though. I mean it's not exactly Graves, Gelinas, and Joe Murphy...but it's got some spunk. Chytil is playing pretty well, and Howden is getting better every game. Fuck it, why not?

What's the average age on that line? 15? LOL

My Timberlands are older than all 3 of them!!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem with Kakko in the AHL is that he probably won't produce there, either. Then what? What does that do for his confidence?

He should have been left in Europe, because they should have better understood his shortcomings. That would have allowed his ELC to slide, as well.

They were forced in to this pick, to be sure, so I can't blame them for making it but they certainly misread his ability coming in to camp.

That's not really a problem.

If he stays in Europe another year, then comes over and has 3 outstanding years on his ELC, you're looking at a pricey extension. Think Marner. Drafted in 15, played another year in junior, went for 61-69-94 on his ELC, signed extension for $10.9M.

As of now Kakko is looking more like he's on the MacKinnon path. Into the league at 18, went for 63-38-52 on his ELC, signed extension $6.3M.

If Kakko goes 30-50-60 on his ELC, they should be able to get him at a good price through his early 20's when he's most productive.

Mackinnon was 22 when he first scored 90+points. Marner was 21. Kakko is 18, he'll be fine

I do like the idea of the "kid Line" though. I mean it's not exactly Graves, Gelinas, and Joe Murphy...but it's got some spunk. Chytil is playing pretty well, and Howden is getting better every game. Fuck it, why not?

What's the average age on that line? 15? LOL

My Timberlands are older than all 3 of them!!

Flying High Again

So he's just incapable of doing it? How is that not a damning indictment on his ability/draft position?

Again, the AHL exists primarily to develop players who are not yet ready for the NHL's spotlight. There is no better development tool available. There is no better league available. Nothing acclimates players of any stripe better than the A because it is a functional equivalent of the NHL minus the spotlight and the show's greatest talents.

He's incapable of dominating at this level right now, which seems to largely have been the expectation for him. He's not incapable of making the right (and good) plays. His first season is actually on par or better than, say, Chytil's first full year here last year. That might be a low bar relative to KK's hype and draft position, but it doesn't make him not deserving to be here.

He's incapable of dominating at this level right now, which seems to largely have been the expectation for him. He's not incapable of making the right (and good) plays. His first season is actually on par or better than, say, Chytil's first full year here last year. That might be a low bar relative to KK's hype and draft position, but it doesn't make him not deserving to be here.

So why is he here and not in the AHL where he is far more likely to dominate? Which is better for a player's confidence, trying and failing repeatedly, or trying and succeeding?

So why is he here and not in the AHL where he is far more likely to dominate? Which is better for a player's confidence, trying and failing repeatedly, or trying and succeeding?

who says its better for player's confidence? kravtsov and andersson showed the opposite. im not saying Kakko will go down the same route but what if he does?

That's a very good question! Some Psychologists would debate that one??

Failing at what exactly? Dominating? I don't think that is an appropriate criteria for determining whether he should be here or not. I think he just needs to adapt at this level rather than dominate with skills he already knows against inferior competition.

Despite his weaknesses, he's got 7 goals and 9 assists in 41 games, pacing 14 goals and 32 points. This is right around where Svechnikov was last year. Svechnikov's best month was also March and things began to click a bit for him. We can also see that an offseason of training for Svechnikov was what he needed as well to be what he is this year.

Nevermind his own confidence, but how about the rest of the team in the NHL right now? What is Kakko doing right now to improve the NHL NY Rangers? Nothing.

He's literally invisible until you see him making a glaring mistake. He belongs in the AHL. 18 year olds in the NHL are supposed to be phenoms, not for the purpose of being developing someone clearly 3 steps below NHL competition right now. His only saving grace is that he's so insignificant out there, he's not even worthy of the opposition lining him up and sending him into oblivion. It won't take much though. He has talent. I think we all know that. His draft wasn't a reach or a fluke. However he's clearly not ready and the Finnish league clearly is nothing near the talent of the NHL so it's not translating right now.

What happens the first time he shows some real offensive talent, scores 2 goals, and the opposition starts focusing on punishing him and not letting him coast around out there? He's going to get pummeled and that might do a large amount of damage to a player that clearly doesnt belong here right now.

Agree with Keirik. The trouble is that while putting him the AHL from the start of the season obviously would have been the right thing for him, demoting him now would be such a BFD and media storm that it might be counterproductive. Kid line definitely has its moments but is an iffy proposition. They were back on their heals a little too much last night.

Nevermind his own confidence, but how about the rest of the team in the NHL right now? What is Kakko doing right now to improve the NHL NY Rangers? Nothing.

He's literally invisible until you see him making a glaring mistake. He belongs in the AHL. 18 year olds in the NHL are supposed to be phenoms, not for the purpose of being developing someone clearly 3 steps below NHL competition right now. His only saving grace is that he's so insignificant out there, he's not even worthy of the opposition lining him up and sending him into oblivion. It won't take much though. He has talent. I think we all know that. His draft wasn't a reach or a fluke. However he's clearly not ready and the Finnish league clearly is nothing near the talent of the NHL so it's not translating right now.

Ok, so his spot on the 3rd line goes to McKegg/Smith/Di Giuseppe/Fogarty/Lettieri and they do what to improve the NHL NY Rangers? Nothing.

What happens the first time he shows some real offensive talent, scores 2 goals, and the opposition starts focusing on punishing him and not letting him coast around out there? He's going to get pummeled and that might do a large amount of damage to a player that clearly doesnt belong here right now.

No matter what he does he isn't going to draw the focus away from the top two lines that each contain a guy scoring over a ppg.

So Hajek had bad intentions? That's why he's in the A and Kakko isn't?

Also, the AHL is the single greatest development league there is to developing NHL players. If sending him to the AHL is pointless, then the AHL is pointless. Hell, to quote Quinn, "If you can’t send a 20-year-old to the AHL then why do we have the AHL?"

Exactly correct. The AHL isn't punishment and should not be looked at as such. That's the fan's PoV, it shouldn't be a player's.

What does going to the AHL do? I dunno, maybe help a kid who beats himself up have at least a bit of success and some blocks to build on over the summer or when he comes back. I mean, y'all know he probably going there for their playoffs, right?

My problem with Kakko in the AHL is that he probably won't produce there, either. Then what? What does that do for his confidence?

He should have been left in Europe, because they should have better understood his shortcomings. That would have allowed his ELC to slide, as well.

They were forced in to this pick, to be sure, so I can't blame them for making it but they certainly misread his ability coming in to camp.

Why wouldn't he produce in AHL?

What would he learn in Europe by doing more of the same?

The AHL is the perfect bridge from Europe to the NHL. People act like it's purgatory for an 18 yr old.

Ok, so his spot on the 3rd line goes to McKegg/Smith/Di Giuseppe/Fogarty/Lettieri and they do what to improve the NHL NY Rangers? Nothing.

I'm not sure how that makes a difference anyway. Ok, so even if none of those are doing anything, they aren't the crown jewel of the future for the club. Kakko was drafted as. If at the NHL he is performing at a Fogarty et al level, maybe it's time to have him down for a while to give him a breather and let him develop a bit more. If you buy a Ferrari for the Formula 1 and find out it's performing like a Yugo, you don't keep it in the race and let it finish dead last. You remove it from the race, tinker, and let it try again when it might be a hell of a lot more ready.

No matter what he does he isn't going to draw the focus away from the top two lines that each contain a guy scoring over a ppg.

Of course not. He literally does nothing out there. If he did, he might be on one of those two top lines from time to time which is when he would get targeted if producing.

Exactly correct. The AHL isn't punishment and should not be looked at as such. That's the fan's PoV, it shouldn't be a player's.

What does going to the AHL do? I dunno, maybe help a kid who beats himself up have at least a bit of success and some blocks to build on over the summer or when he comes back. I mean, y'all know he probably going there for their playoffs, right?

All while no longer being hounded by media and fans to produce now. The name of the game changes instantly from "win/produce now" to "develop." Which is the whole point.

Why wouldn't he produce in AHL?

What would he learn in Europe by doing more of the same?

The AHL is the perfect bridge from Europe to the NHL. People act like it's purgatory for an 18 yr old.

All fair

But I think they’re committed to keeping him up and sticking with him.

All fair

But I think they’re committed to keeping him up and sticking with him.

I agree, I just disagree with why. I don't think he's doing himself (or them) any favors by never being a factor on the ice except when he makes glaring errors, and I hate that "draft pedigree" is arguably the reason why. It's a stupid precedent that's been set that players taken at a position should automatically be able to make the jump from draft to the NHL simply by way of whatever arbitrary cut off we decide (first, second, eighth overall, etc).

The AHL exists to serve as a buffer between these two worlds and is designed and composed to operate exactly as the NHL does minus the pressure of the professional media and the win- and produce-now nature of most teams.

How is that not exactly what is right for Kakko given everything we know of his stint thus far?

• Like 1

All it takes is one brave team to say "We don't care what other people expect of our player. Let them worry about their own players. We know what we expect of him, and right now, the AHL is the best place for him to develop the tools he'll need to get where we all believe he can get to."

All it takes is one brave team to say "We don't care what other people expect of our player. Let them worry about their own players. We know what we expect of him, and right now, the AHL is the best place for him to develop the tools he'll need to get where we all believe he can get to."

One could argue that Quinn is saying, "I don't care what other people expect of my player. Let them worry about their own players. I know what I expect of him, and right now when I'm watching him everyday in practice, he's doing what I ask."