• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why isn't Kaapo Kakko in the AHL?

Phil

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When he gets points, his whole demeanor changes. He's aggressive. He's quick. He wants the puck. And he has it on his stick a lot as he holds it for long periods of time. He's one of the teams better players when he has confidence.

What he has to learn to deal with this season is when you're not getting points, you still need to be useful. You can't be late to your point or floating around your defensive zone. With half a season to go, he's had some spurts of very very impressive hockey. So long as he learns to deal with the lows a little better, his long droughts will get smaller and smaller.

• Like 2

Someone with better photoshop skills than I should make a "Where's Waldo" with Kappo's face. Then we can play that game within a game practically ever game in which he plays.

All those goals last night in a wide open game and I believe he got a single shot and was unnoticeable other than being on the receiving end of the interference call at center ice. All this in spite of all the fellating he continually gets from Joe during the broadcasts. (Chytil I believe also had a single shot).

Someone with better photoshop skills than I should make a "Where's Waldo" with Kappo's face. Then we can play that game within a game practically ever game in which he plays.

All those goals last night in a wide open game and I believe he got a single shot and was unnoticeable other than being on the receiving end of the interference call at center ice. All this in spite of all the fellating he continually gets from Joe during the broadcasts. (Chytil I believe also had a single shot).

You must have missed where Kakko got his linemate Howden put on the 1st PP unit. That's a fucking boss teammate right there.

• Like 1

i think yesterday was a decent game. He had errors, and didnt shoot, but that's the exact type of game you expect from an 18 year old rookie. He kept going, too. I thought he was skating better, he was carrying the puck, trying to make plays. He's still better than half the team even when he wasnt "on" his game. Quinn did a good job putting him out there again and again, too. Demote a kid after that game is how you fuck up development. If he stood on the boards all game and didnt engage, that would be a different story.

He's a boy against men, mentally and physically out there. He's not making smart choices and gets pushed off every 50/50 puck.

Also the fact that he can't build on any success shift to shift or game to game is a flag. He's not better today than. He was in game 10.

I don?t understand how we can look at last night?s game and say anything positive about Kakko. He just isn?t ready for the NHL.

The puck falls off his stick constantly. He always has his head down looking for the puck. He?s not a great skater.

I know we?ve already burned an ELC year (I almost assume this why he?s still in the NHL and not the A), but why keep him here?

Look at what time down in the A did for Chytil.

i think yesterday was a decent game. He had errors, and didnt shoot, but that's the exact type of game you expect from an 18 year old rookie. He kept going, too. I thought he was skating better, he was carrying the puck, trying to make plays. He's still better than half the team even when he wasnt "on" his game. Quinn did a good job putting him out there again and again, too. Demote a kid after that game is how you fuck up development. If he stood on the boards all game and didnt engage, that would be a different story.

Agreed Josh man!! I still think this kid is going to be a superstar. He's gotta simply grow into it. HE WILL. Pete's right though, he's frail yet, but he'll grow into it!

I don’t understand how we can look at last night’s game and say anything positive about Kakko. He just isn’t ready for the NHL.

The puck falls off his stick constantly. He always has his head down looking for the puck. He’s not a great skater.

I know we’ve already burned an ELC year (I almost assume this why he’s still in the NHL and not the A), but why keep him here?

It's a learning process. This happens when you have young guys in the lineup. These games help him improve more than sitting on the bench, or playing in Hartford.

It's a learning process. This happens when you have young guys in the lineup. These games help him improve more than sitting on the bench, or playing in Hartford.

Agreed. And I don't think he looked bad last night either. The only standout bad play was not shooting on the 3 on 1 when all passing lanes were blocked.

He's still active around the puck and putting in effort. To steal a line from Quinn, it's about having good intentions. Time and patience is required here. He's learning.

And again, he needs a good offseason of training. Sending him to the A isn't going to replace what that will provide him for next season. A demotion would be pointless. The Chytil situation was completely different.

I don’t understand how we can look at last night’s game and say anything positive about Kakko. He just isn’t ready for the NHL.

The puck falls off his stick constantly. He always has his head down looking for the puck. He’s not a great skater.

I know we’ve already burned an ELC year (I almost assume this why he’s still in the NHL and not the A), but why keep him here?

Chytil didn't make the team out of camp because he turned in a shitty effort in camp. Kakko is here because he is doing what Quinn is asking of him.

We know skating and lower body strength is his biggest hurtle right now. That will get fixed over the summer, not in the AHL.

Agreed. And I don't think he looked bad last night either. The only standout bad play was not shooting on the 3 on 1 when all passing lanes were blocked.

He's still active around the puck and putting in effort. To steal a line from Quinn, it's about having good intentions. Time and patience is required here. He's learning.

And again, he needs a good offseason of training. Sending him to the A isn't going to replace what that will provide him for next season. A demotion would be pointless. The Chytil situation was completely different.

Agreed with all points here.

I hope some of these younger guys train with Panarin in the summer. They could learn a thing or two.

So Hajek had bad intentions? That's why he's in the A and Kakko isn't?

Also, the AHL is the single greatest development league there is to developing NHL players. If sending him to the AHL is pointless, then the AHL is pointless. Hell, to quote Quinn, "If you can’t send a 20-year-old to the AHL then why do we have the AHL?"

Also, the AHL is the single greatest development league there is to developing NHL players. If sending him to the AHL is pointless, then the AHL is pointless. Hell, to quote Quinn, "If you can’t send a 20-year-old to the AHL then why do we have the AHL?"

Hajek in the A because he just came off an injury and needs time to get in the rhythm, and there are no spots on the rangers right now. he's not demoted

We must just disagree on the two players. I think Kakko understands what he needs to do and tries to do it. He doesn't look lost to me. On the other hand, I think Hajek looks a bit lost on where to be and what to do with the puck when he has it. He has looked like that for some time even before he got hurt.

My problem with Kakko in the AHL is that he probably won't produce there, either. Then what? What does that do for his confidence?

He should have been left in Europe, because they should have better understood his shortcomings. That would have allowed his ELC to slide, as well.

They were forced in to this pick, to be sure, so I can't blame them for making it but they certainly misread his ability coming in to camp.

We must just disagree on the two players. I think Kakko understands what he needs to do and tries to do it. He doesn't look lost to me. On the other hand, I think Hajek looks a bit lost on where to be and what to do with the puck when he has it. He has looked like that for some time even before he got hurt.

So he's just incapable of doing it? How is that not a damning indictment on his ability/draft position?

Again, the AHL exists primarily to develop players who are not yet ready for the NHL's spotlight. There is no better development tool available. There is no better league available. Nothing acclimates players of any stripe better than the A because it is a functional equivalent of the NHL minus the spotlight and the show's greatest talents.