• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

When Do We Call Up Shesterkin?

Keirik

Yeah, it's a lame excuse. Get him up here.

They rush all their pseudo prospects and sit on the one legit one that can help then now.

Help do what, exactly?

The team's not good. Doesn't matter who's in net.

There are complaints when prospects get rushed and complaints when they're (God forbid) asked to spend a season in the AHL.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Win hockey games? He's the best goalie of the three options, it would seem logical to me that using your best goalie would provide you with the best chance of winning, or maybe I'm off on that.
He's the only goalie playing against lesser competition. You're assuming he's going to carry that over playing behind a garbage defense.

Rangers give up 35 shots a game. Last 3 games Hartford faced 27, 20 and 30.

There's no reason to bring him up while Geo and Hank are both here. There's no reason for him to lose up here when he can win down there.

And...They're not going to carry 3 goalies.

So he'll come up when one goes away.

If they really wanted to bring up Shesterkin, couldn't either Georgiev or Lundqvist be a healthy scratch? Asking because I'm not sure of NHL roster rules.
Sure. You can only dress 2 goalies for a game. But, they use a roster spot so they'd have to make room by sending someone down or moving Hajek to IR.

They're not going to carry three goalies on the roster. Makes no sense to. It would be to appease fans who can't decide if we should be patient or rush prospects.

You're not rushing Shestyorkin, though, so that doesn't hold water.

They did rush all their Midget aged players, though, worked out well.

Yea, so they should totally make the same mistake with their goalie, because you say so.

Folks need to stop acting like sending a young player to the AHL is some kind of slap or demotion. It's a developmental league. Players go there to develop.

When they're done developing, which Shesty may be, you make room and bring them up.

They haven't made room. They have 2 good goalies. One isn't going anywhere this year or next. The other may. When that happens, he'll come up.

It's fairly standard professional sports practice.

• Like 1

Shesterkin is older than Georgiev. They wouldn't be rushing him at all. He should get called up before the trade deadline. Get him some games so they can make a more educated decision about trading Georgiev.

Sure, if you think there's a difference between flipping Geo at the TDL or the draft. Either way, based on what we know now, there's a very high likelihood that Shesty will be here next season and Geo won't be, because we know Hank will be.

So there's really no rush for the Rangers to bring him up. All of this disservice to the team rhetoric is nonsense. There's not going to be a tangible difference in the standings by bringing Shesty up, IMO. I don't see goaltending being the issue, the left side of the D is a sieve.

I don't really think you need to see what you have. He may completely bomb in a few starts here and that would be meaningless to his status at the heir apparent.

Sure, if you think there's a difference between flipping Geo at the TDL or the draft. Either way, based on what we know now, there's a very high likelihood that Shesty will be here next season and Geo won't be, because we know Hank will be.

So there's really no rush for the Rangers to bring him up. All of this disservice to the team rhetoric is nonsense. There's not going to be a tangible difference in the standings by bringing Shesty up, IMO. I don't see goaltending being the issue, the left side of the D is a sieve.

I don't really think you need to see what you have. He may completely bomb in a few starts here and that would be meaningless to his status at the heir apparent.

Fair points, and yeah, maybe a few games isn't a large enough barometer. I'm fairly confident he'll be a very good goalie, so if they don't want to get him some work in the NHL before making any decisions, they should just trade Georgiev between now and the deadline to get Shesterkin a well earned promotion ASAP. He's been playing for 6 years since we drafted him and crushed it everywhere. It's time to flip the page IMO. Let's not forget, he's here to carry out his dream of being an NHL goalie. This is more about what he deserves more than "winning now", though I think it would help on both fronts.

Fair points, and yeah, maybe a few games isn't a large enough barometer. I'm fairly confident he'll be a very good goalie, so if they don't want to get him some work in the NHL before making any decisions, they should just trade Georgiev between now and the deadline to get Shesterkin a well earned promotion ASAP. He's been playing for 6 years since we drafted him and crushed it everywhere. It's time to flip the page IMO. Let's not forget, he's here to carry out his dream of being an NHL goalie. This is more about what he deserves more than "winning now", though I think it would help on both fronts.

Right. I'm really not saying that he's not ready for a promotion, I got off track being sucked down the hyperbole hole with Dunny. There are prospects at every position who are blocked by players, across the league. Shesty isn't the only one.

I just don't subscribe to 1. we're not being fair to him (welcome to the life of a pro sports prospect, let's not forget he chose to spend all the time in Russia. He could have been here before Geo) or that 2. he gives us the best chance to win.

However, his play has earned him a look. It's how they go about getting him that look (TDL or next year, I see no reason it has to be this season).

He'll be up if either goalie gets hurt or traded(and Lundqvist cannot be dealt without his consent, which so far he not inclined to do). Remember there is a salary cap, and also as with Georgiev right now once Igor starts playing NHL games it's less easy to send him down. 3 goalies is not a good situation for any of them.

Lundqvist has had some bad games, as has Georgiev. Igor right now may be better than either. But the AHL is doing him no harm, and he is not the difference maker to get a playoff berth. NYR's problems are bad defense(feel like every night there's an opposing goal or 3 scored with Brady Skjei or Marc Staal just fucking standing there doing nothing!) , lack of focus, failure to maximize scoring chances, top heavy scoring, lousy special teams, stupid penalties. All of which go along with being the youngest team in the NHL. If again either goalie is not here for the above, bring Igor up. And he will be here soon anyway.

Also one time the NYR did that wtih Beezer/Froese/Richter, hurt all 3. Isn't enough game nor practice work for 3 goalies.

Well Georgiev only had 30 ahl games before his NHL call up. Think Pavelec was hurt though hence the call up but it helped show us he is NHL caliber. I’d just like to see Shesh given the chance just so next year isn’t all brand spanking new.

I think we have to move Shestyorkin up because we can?t afford to keep Georgiev next season.

Get assets for Georgiev at deadline.

I?d assume by next season Shestyorkin is here anyways. Let him get a taste after deadline as Lundys backup, getting everything 3rd game or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk