• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

When Do We Call Up Shesterkin?

Keirik

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13. Congratulations to Igor Shestyorkin, who won his first NHL start for the Rangers, over Colorado. I was warned not to assume this means an automatic or immediate move with Alexandar Georgiev. (I don’t expect anything with Henrik Lundqvist). New York is prepared to feel its way through this process. Georgiev is no longer waiver-exempt.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-recent-stanley-cup-champions-approached-trade-deadline/

How long does Igor actually stay here? If he's not starting the next game, what's the point of him being here? And if he is starting, what's the point of having Georgie/Hank?

Seems like something has to give sooner rather than later.

They're just up against the wall here. You can read between the lines from some of Brooks' reporting that Igor was probably like, "Yo, I'm killing it in the A. If you don't call me up to the NHL, I'm going back to Russia." He earned the call up and won. So he's earning his keep. And if you send him back down, you risk him running off to Russia.

Then you got Georgiev. They're not going to trade him just for the sake of it. He's now eligible for waivers, so there's no way in hell they send him down to the AHL.

And finally, there's Lundqvist, who isn't going anywhere and obviously has earned the right to at least back up Igor while he gets his starter reps.

It's a mess. And something has to give, probably in the form of Georgiev, but it's going to have to wait and there's nothing Georgiev can do about it.

They're just up against the wall here. You can read between the lines from some of Brooks' reporting that Igor was probably like, "Yo, I'm killing it in the A. If you don't call me up to the NHL, I'm going back to Russia." He earned the call up and won. So he's earning his keep. And if you send him back down, you risk him running off to Russia.

Then you got Georgiev. They're not going to trade him just for the sake of it. He's now eligible for waivers, so there's no way in hell they send him down to the AHL.

And finally, there's Lundqvist, who isn't going anywhere and obviously has earned the right to at least back up Igor while he gets his starter reps.

It's a mess. And something has to give, probably in the form of Georgiev, but it's going to have to wait and there's nothing Georgiev can do about it.

Maybe sit Hank for a couple weeks for "health/ rest ". That could give enough time to sort out the georgiev situation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk