• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

My Case for Signing Strome AND Kreider

ThirtyONE

You pay players to play the game, right? Yes, ideally you pay for what you hope they become, not what they were, but at 26 years old Ryan Strome is in that range where you assume he's either not quite in his prime years or just reaching them. We've been looking for a #2 center for years at this point and Strome has become just that. I know we all want Chytil to be that player eventually, but he's just not right now, and may not be until he's 26 himself (7 years from now). So, if Strome goes at this deadline, you again have a massive hole at 2C -- that will again need to be figured out this summer.

Last offseason we assumed Chytil would take that role and Andersson would take 3C. But Andersson is gone and Chytil isn't ready for that role. The point being, you can never predict what these prospects will do. They may take longer than you anticipate, or not work out at all. So when you have a good 26 year old who you can count on in that role, it seems foolish to give that up unless you're trying to tank again... which is exactly what will happen if they trade...

Chris Kreider. Somehow in his 8th season with the team. Like Strome, you know exactly what he is. He's a hard-nosed, 50pt player who can play almost anywhere in the lineup. While some claim he's disappointing, I don't know how he can be unless you're expecting him to suddenly become someone he's not. He's big, he's strong, he's one of the the best skaters in the league, and he plays a vitally important role on and off the ice for this team. He keeps himself in excellent physical shape and trains harder anyone in the offseason. When he got hurt last year, the Rangers took a nosedive. And if he gets moved this season, they will nosedive again. There just aren't many players in the NHL like Kreider, and for a young team in need of leadership, he is just that.

Contract demands play a big part of this obviously and we don't know what he wants. But, if I were the Rangers, I'd be working with him to figure this thing out and keep him here for another 5-6 years.

Ryan Strome, by all accounts, loves playing in NYC. He's stated, on at least one occasion, that he wants to be a part of the core here. I don't believe he'll be looking to blow the doors off with his next contract and I think the Rangers would be smart to lock him up for 2-4 years (assuming fair market value).

If you want to continue to compete, which the Rangers are doing this year, you need good players. Players who have proven who they are at the NHL level. Strome and Kreider have done that and they can be a part of this build toward progress.

TL;DR: We have no idea which prospects will pan out. We know what Strome and Krieder are. Pay them and keep them here.

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You pay players to play the game, right? Yes, ideally you pay for what you hope they become, not what they were, but at 26 years old Ryan Strome is in that range where you assume he's either not quite in his prime years or just reaching them. We've been looking for a #2 center for years at this point and Strome has become just that. I know we all want Chytil to be that player eventually, but he's just not right now, and may not be until he's 26 himself (7 years from now). So, if Strome goes at this deadline, you again have a massive hole at 2C -- that will again need to be figured out this summer.

Last offseason we assumed Chytil would take that role and Andersson would take 3C. But Andersson is gone and Chytil isn't ready for that role. The point being, you can never predict what these prospects will do. They may take longer than you anticipate, or not work out at all. So when you have a good 26 year old who you can count on in that role, it seems foolish to give that up unless you're trying to tank again... which is exactly what will happen if they trade...

Chris Kreider. Somehow in his 8th season with the team. Like Strome, you know exactly what he is. He's a hard-nosed, 50pt player who can play almost anywhere in the lineup. While some claim he's disappointing, I don't know how he can be unless you're expecting him to suddenly become someone he's not. He's big, he's strong, he's one of the the best skaters in the league, and he plays a vitally important role on and off the ice for this team. He keeps himself in excellent physical shape and trains harder anyone in the offseason. When he got hurt last year, the Rangers took a nosedive. And if he gets moved this season, they will nosedive again. There just aren't many players in the NHL like Kreider, and for a young team in need of leadership, he is just that.

Contract demands play a big part of this obviously and we don't know what he wants. But, if I were the Rangers, I'd be working with him to figure this thing out and keep him here for another 5-6 years.

Ryan Strome, by all accounts, loves playing in NYC. He's stated, on at least one occasion, that he wants to be a part of the core here. I don't believe he'll be looking to blow the doors off with his next contract and I think the Rangers would be smart to lock him up for 2-4 years (assuming fair market value).

If you want to continue to compete, which the Rangers are doing this year, you need good players. Players who have proven who they are at the NHL level. Strome and Kreider have done that and they can be a part of this build toward progress.

TL;DR: We have no idea which prospects will pan out. We know what Strome and Krieder are. Pay them and keep them here.

I agree with most of this; the devil in the details is in your last sentence.

While they looked absolutely stacked on defense as the prospects continue to develop, the forward prospects look very thin for top 6 talent past Kravstov and maybe Morgan Barron. It's also true that you can't develop a team by continually cycling players in & out year after year like that have done for the last 3 season and counting. At some point everyone needs to gel and they need to become a unit.

If you can retain both at sweetheart deals Kreider(5.5 X 6)/Strome(4X4), I think you do it w/o blinking. Assuming you could "bribe" Kreider with the captaincy or something intangible like that, and Strome has that moment of self reflection that almost any scenario is going to be downhill from here that would be tremendous. The hard reality is that they are both in line for a big payday if they hit free agency; you don't have to look much farther than Mats Zucarello or Kevin Hayes for proof of that.

To me a much more interesting question is, if you were only able to get one of them to take the above mentioned sweetheart deal(s), which one would you choose and why?

Find taker for both Buchnevich and Skjei and you should be able to keep both, assuming they don't go for a grand slam contract.

Strome is a RFA and it would be ideal to keep his term to a minimum I think.

Don't think you could realistically keep DeAngelo either if you pay Kreider and Strome, unless you hardball him again. I don't think he's going to be game for that a second time.

I have seen a very large step forward in DeAngelo's game defensively across the last 15-20 games. We've all known the offense has been there, but I'm starting to see a more complete defender. At the moment, I'm making sure I lock him up over either Kreider or Strome. He's a game changing talent.

I don?t think most people (I mean within the rangers organization) want to lose Kreider but there is no way to give him the $$ he wants without then having to make other moves. And between shattenkirk cap hit, hank staying put, staal staying put and panarins contract I don?t think there?s a chance of that. Better to trade him and get something of value rather than watch him walk away for nothing.

The only other scenario I can see playing out is the team giving him a 1 year extension close to what he makes now and then negotiates a contract starting a year from now when they have more cap space.

If it makes you feel better Elliott?s Friedman said on sportsnet that 4 teams have expressed interest even though the rangers haven?t officially put him on the market.

I dunno what Strome is going to ask for money wise but I?d keep him for sure If the price tag is appropriate. I?ve liked him a lot since they first got him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I don?t think most people (I mean within the rangers organization) want to lose Kreider but there is no way to give him the $$ he wants without then having to make other moves. And between shattenkirk cap hit, hank staying put, staal staying put and panarins contract I don?t think there?s a chance of that. Better to trade him and get something of value rather than watch him walk away for nothing.

The only other scenario I can see playing out is the team giving him a 1 year extension close to what he makes now and then negotiates a contract starting a year from now when they have more cap space.

If it makes you feel better Elliott?s Friedman said on sportsnet that 4 teams have expressed interest even though the rangers haven?t officially put him on the market.

I dunno what Strome is going to ask for money wise but I?d keep him for sure If the price tag is appropriate. I?ve liked him a lot since they first got him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

With Kreider injury history, he's not taking a 1 year deal.

Don't think you could realistically keep DeAngelo either if you pay Kreider and Strome, unless you hardball him again. I don't think he's going to be game for that a second time.

I have seen a very large step forward in DeAngelo's game defensively across the last 15-20 games. We've all known the offense has been there, but I'm starting to see a more complete defender. At the moment, I'm making sure I lock him up over either Kreider or Strome. He's a game changing talent.

I think the idea here is that by freeing up Skjei and Buch, you create 8.5m in cap that should give the bandwidth to keep ADA and at least one of Strome/Kreider.

Frankly, there's an argument for moving ADA in that we have like three more of him in Fox, Lundkvist, and Reunanen. If ADA can bring in the right sort of forward, I do it.

I think the idea here is that by freeing up Skjei and Buch, you create 8.5m in cap that should give the bandwidth to keep ADA and at least one of Strome/Kreider.

Frankly, there's an argument for moving ADA in that we have like three more of him in Fox, Lundkvist, and Reunanen. If ADA can bring in the right sort of forward, I do it.

And it's a good one and one I've agreed with in the past until this point. Now I'm not so sure. Some guys you don't let go based on what you "might" have, and ADA is working his way to that point for me based on his play. If Trouba/ADA/Fox is the right side for the next 7 years then so what? You can trade the other guys. I really feel like they should be giving him a look on his offhand because I'm pretty sure ADA on his offhand is and would be better than every LHD we are throwing out there.

I have to agree here. ADA is terrible in his own zone, I would be fine moving him with the three guys you mentioned still in the mix here.

And it's a good one and one I've agreed with in the past until this point. Now I'm not so sure. Some guys you don't let go based on what you "might" have, and ADA is working his way to that point for me based on his play. If Trouba/ADA/Fox is the right side for the next 7 years then so what? You can trade the other guys. I really feel like they should be giving him a look on his offhand because I'm pretty sure ADA on his offhand is and would be better than every LHD we are throwing out there.

Between his defensive liabilities and that we've got a ton of PMDs in the system and on the team, I lean toward thinking we can figure out life without him.

Though, putting him on his offhand is an interesting idea.

DQ says he calls down there and asks who's playing the best and that's who they bring up. Was Lias ever "that" guy outside of maybe one game? Doesn't seem like it. Sounds like he missed that opportunity because even prior to bailing his play was uninspiring?

What are the odds the kid just ends up in Europe and never sniffs the NHL? Or does he take a step back, eat crow, suck it up in another org and prove he may belong?

Between his defensive liabilities and that we've got a ton of PMDs in the system and on the team, I lean toward thinking we can figure out life without him.

Though, putting him on his offhand is an interesting idea.

That's the thing. I have seen his "defensive liabilities" diminish quite a lot over the last 6 weeks or so. You can tell the coaches are working with him on it and he has shown big time improvement back there. We all know what he offers offensively, but it has always been about "Can he improve his defense?". The answer, apparently, is absolutely. You don't trade a 60 point dman who is also decent in his own zone. I think he's getting there.

Kreider will get in the neighborhood of 7/$50. Rangers will miss him, but no way do we have room for that.

Strome should be much more reasonable in term and $$. Anybody looks good with Panarin, but Strome looks like a keeper.

Shame we accumulated so many bad contracts.

You can't just keep on unloading good solid players in their primes when their contracts are up. Kreider may yet hit one of his hot streaks this year. He's a good guy on and off the ice. Strome is trickier. It's very hard to gauge what his contract demand would be or what would be reasonable. He doesn't have a long track record and his numbers are boosted by playing with Panarin, which might not always be the case. Still, I would find a way to sign Strome and Kreider. I would trade Buch, Skjei and ADA, although we'd probably be taking back position players rather than picks on such trades and only creating a little bit of cap space. I see real long term limitations in the games of all of those three players. We'd have to buy out Staal and Smith to push their cap hits past Hank to fit Strome and Kreider in next year, that's for sure.

For once I REALLY agree with you. Strome and Kreider seem to be hitting there stride and they need to sign these two. You still need talent to mix with the youth to compete and I think they even have a chance this year. You can not build from scratch with all youth and expect to compete because then every year is a rebuild year. If they dump these two I am finished with this team after 45 years!

On board with keeping Strome and DeAngelo. Kreider will cost too much for a position where we can probably fill it cheaper for similar production. Cant miss out on flipping Kreider for picks and/or prospects to keep on track with the rebuild game plan here.

However, I can see them flipping DeAngelo at the deadline due to his demands prior to the season and the thought of him trying to bully as much money as possible as opposed to taking a team friendly deal. I dont think they should but I have a feeling they will.

In.the end flip Kreider; retain DeAngelo and Strome. Tough decisions to be made