Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Case for Signing Strome AND Kreider

Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    Kreider will get in the neighborhood of 7/$50. Rangers will miss him, but no way do we have room for that.

Strome should be much more reasonable in term and $$. Anybody looks good with Panarin, but Strome looks like a keeper.

Shame we accumulated so many bad contracts.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    You can't just keep on unloading good solid players in their primes when their contracts are up. Kreider may yet hit one of his hot streaks this year. He's a good guy on and off the ice. Strome is trickier. It's very hard to gauge what his contract demand would be or what would be reasonable. He doesn't have a long track record and his numbers are boosted by playing with Panarin, which might not always be the case. Still, I would find a way to sign Strome and Kreider. I would trade Buch, Skjei and ADA, although we'd probably be taking back position players rather than picks on such trades and only creating a little bit of cap space. I see real long term limitations in the games of all of those three players. We'd have to buy out Staal and Smith to push their cap hits past Hank to fit Strome and Kreider in next year, that's for sure.

Senior Member Squirt Division Blueshirts1926's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    You pay players to play the game, right? Yes, ideally you pay for what you hope they become, not what they were, but at 26 years old Ryan Strome is in that range where you assume he's either not quite in his prime years or just reaching them. We've been looking for a #2 center for years at this point and Strome has become just that. I know we all want Chytil to be that player eventually, but he's just not right now, and may not be until he's 26 himself (7 years from now). So, if Strome goes at this deadline, you again have a massive hole at 2C -- that will again need to be figured out this summer.

Last offseason we assumed Chytil would take that role and Andersson would take 3C. But Andersson is gone and Chytil isn't ready for that role. The point being, you can never predict what these prospects will do. They may take longer than you anticipate, or not work out at all. So when you have a good 26 year old who you can count on in that role, it seems foolish to give that up unless you're trying to tank again... which is exactly what will happen if they trade...

Chris Kreider. Somehow in his 8th season with the team. Like Strome, you know exactly what he is. He's a hard-nosed, 50pt player who can play almost anywhere in the lineup. While some claim he's disappointing, I don't know how he can be unless you're expecting him to suddenly become someone he's not. He's big, he's strong, he's one of the the best skaters in the league, and he plays a vitally important role on and off the ice for this team. He keeps himself in excellent physical shape and trains harder anyone in the offseason. When he got hurt last year, the Rangers took a nosedive. And if he gets moved this season, they will nosedive again. There just aren't many players in the NHL like Kreider, and for a young team in need of leadership, he is just that.

Contract demands play a big part of this obviously and we don't know what he wants. But, if I were the Rangers, I'd be working with him to figure this thing out and keep him here for another 5-6 years.

Ryan Strome, by all accounts, loves playing in NYC. He's stated, on at least one occasion, that he wants to be a part of the core here. I don't believe he'll be looking to blow the doors off with his next contract and I think the Rangers would be smart to lock him up for 2-4 years (assuming fair market value).

If you want to continue to compete, which the Rangers are doing this year, you need good players. Players who have proven who they are at the NHL level. Strome and Kreider have done that and they can be a part of this build toward progress.

TL;DR: We have no idea which prospects will pan out. We know what Strome and Krieder are. Pay them and keep them here.
    For once I REALLY agree with you. Strome and Kreider seem to be hitting there stride and they need to sign these two. You still need talent to mix with the youth to compete and I think they even have a chance this year. You can not build from scratch with all youth and expect to compete because then every year is a rebuild year. If they dump these two I am finished with this team after 45 years!

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    It's just funny how the worm turns. Two months ago all of Kreider, Deangelo and Strome were gone in my mind, now I think the obvious candidate is Buchnevich.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsm7302's Avatar
    On board with keeping Strome and DeAngelo. Kreider will cost too much for a position where we can probably fill it cheaper for similar production. Cant miss out on flipping Kreider for picks and/or prospects to keep on track with the rebuild game plan here.

However, I can see them flipping DeAngelo at the deadline due to his demands prior to the season and the thought of him trying to bully as much money as possible as opposed to taking a team friendly deal. I dont think they should but I have a feeling they will.

In.the end flip Kreider; retain DeAngelo and Strome. Tough decisions to be made

Deleted Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    It's just funny how the worm turns. Two months ago all of Kreider, Deangelo and Strome were gone in my mind, now I think the obvious candidate is Buchnevich.
    Agreed, but also think Kreider and ADA have to go.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    If they want to start competing next season I think they have to keep ADA and Kreider. If they plan on doing this rebuild correctly theyíll move them both and get some more picks.

This whole rebuild on the fly/quick rebuild thing was misguided from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    How the fuck does Toronto keep.all their high price forwards ,and We can't keep half of ours

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    How the fuck does Toronto keep.all their high price forwards ,and We can't keep half of ours
    Complete lack of cap management. I mean staals cap hit is nearly 6mil for Christís sake.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Complete lack of cap management. I mean staals cap hit is nearly 6mil for Christ’s sake.

Exactly,and giving 8 mill to a ordinary dman doesn't help

The rangers can't stop spending bad money on defenseman

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    They're just a year too early. Everybody got one more year than they should have and that extra year wasn't likely a deal breaker in any of the situations. Total boondoggle.

Senior Member Mite Division nyckrash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb[emoji769
    ;995552]Strome. I love him. Definitely a keeper. I see the point in keeping Kreider as well, but I just donít think heís going to be worth his next paycheck.
    I agree. If Panarian keeps playing with Strome and Zibanejad can continue to bring out the best in CK20 then it can make for a hell of a one two punch for our offense.

Need to continue to develop Chytle and Kakko and we could go with 3 very potentially dangerous lines.

@NYCKrash

I donít think most people (I mean within the rangers organization) want to lose Kreider but there is no way to give him the $$ he wants without then having to make other moves. And between shattenkirk cap hit, hank staying put, staal staying put and panarins contract I donít think thereís a chance of that. Better to trade him and get something of value rather than watch him walk away for nothing.

The only other scenario I can see playing out is the team giving him a 1 year extension close to what he makes now and then negotiates a contract starting a year from now when they have more cap space.

If it makes you feel better Elliottís Friedman said on sportsnet that 4 teams have expressed interest even though the rangers havenít officially put him on the market.

I dunno what Strome is going to ask for money wise but Iíd keep him for sure If the price tag is appropriate. Iíve liked him a lot since they first got him.

Me too..... I saw his talent last season and this season Panarian has been able to unlock Stromes full potential.

@NYCKrash

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    That's the thing. I have seen his "defensive liabilities" diminish quite a lot over the last 6 weeks or so. You can tell the coaches are working with him on it and he has shown big time improvement back there. We all know what he offers offensively, but it has always been about "Can he improve his defense?". The answer, apparently, is absolutely. You don't trade a 60 point dman who is also decent in his own zone. I think he's getting there.
    That's a fair assessment too.

This year is shaping up to be interesting. We're holding a lot of cards right now - probably the top 2 deadline rentals, potentially the top 3 deadline available players if DeAngelo ends up being on the table due to contract demands. We're also 6 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand.

I imagine a lot of this comes down to contract demands versus trade market. If the West continues as is, and the Atlantic continues to be "Bruins, plus 5 streaky teams and the Sens/Wings", it'll get really interesting come February. Keep in mind that in spite of being behind us, both Montreal and Buffalo are closer to playoff spots than we are.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

I know that the team has some very tough decisions to make for the future. I'm a huge Henrik lundqvist fan and have been for his entire career since I watched him steal the position from Kevin Weeks. I also understand that I root for the Jersey and not the player. If I ran the team, which I don't, but if I did I would love to move a big contract player as an add-on to anyone who wants Kreider. For example Smith, Staal (if he waives his NTC), Buch, Skjei, or whatever else it takes to reduce the cap hit. Hopefully Henrik will hang them up since he obviously isn't able to compete at his elite level anymore. We need to stop buying out players and actually start paying for talent we have in our organization.

This team really needs to keep Strome. And apparently playing with Zibanejad on a regular basis brings the best out in Krieder. I guess this month to 6 weeks will really show us everything leading up to the trade deadline.

There's nothing more I hate in the NHL than a hard cap. I will say this about the Boston bruins, they have figured out how to keep a lot of talent at a low cost what's so many team-friendly contracts. JG worked for Boston and now he works here so maybe he can eventually get that kind of cohesion between organization and players in place. It's the only way will be able to be competitive for years to come otherwise our players will price themselves out of the team's ability to pay them.

John Davidson will get this ship in the right direction, it's just going to take some time to overcome some of the contracts we have taken on.

@NYCKrash

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    I'm strongly leaning toward keeping Strome. It became apparent in the first few days of this season that losing Hayes left a void. Howden won't be anything more than a third line center in his prime, Lias is toast, and Chytil had been in Hartford and likely still is not ready for full time second line duty. Put simply, our center depth isn't quite what we wanted.

Meanwhile, Strome plays up and down the lineup in all situations and does it well. He may be playing himself out of a contract, but if he can be locked down for four years at $5 mil or less, you'd be hard-pressed to find a cheaper utility 2C. It would be nice to be in the lottery again and maybe draft that future 1C, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards this year. As long as Panarin is around though, Strome has value and can produce.
    Hidden Content

ď'Things aren't what they used to be' is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.Ē Joe Abercrombie, Best Served Cold.

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    JD and Gorton have covered a lot of ground thus far....and there's still a lot to go here, that's for sure.

I like what they've done so far. Some has been good, and some hasn't turned out exactly they way they wanted it to (Lias, Kravtsov...etc.)

BUT....

I think they have a good idea as to NOT ONLY where they wanna go, but how to do it. I trust them and believe that we are definitely headed in the right direction. It's hard to play Junior GM up here and I've already gone full circle on Fast and now Strome as well. There are players on this team that I just don't "feel" though.

Whether they stay or go is fine with me, and I wouldn't mind being wrong about some of these current players. I'm more curious at this point to see what JD and Gorton have up their sleeves for the Trade deadline. I sure as hell am more looking forward to after NEXT season when ALL that dead money, Staal, and Hank come off the books, as well as a couple of those old buyouts.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    Complete lack of cap management. I mean staals cap hit is nearly 6mil for Christís sake.

Or hidden option C... They spent all their money on forward and can't defend a lick, which is why they never make it our of R1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Or hidden option C... They spent all their money on forward and can't defend a lick, which is why they never make it our of R1.
    I see what you are saying ,but at least we can see some exciting hockey ,didn't the pens win the cup with allstar forwards and nameless dman

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast