• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

My Case for Signing Strome AND Kreider

ThirtyONE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

;995552]Strome. I love him. Definitely a keeper. I see the point in keeping Kreider as well, but I just don?t think he?s going to be worth his next paycheck.
I agree. If Panarian keeps playing with Strome and Zibanejad can continue to bring out the best in CK20 then it can make for a hell of a one two punch for our offense.

Need to continue to develop Chytle and Kakko and we could go with 3 very potentially dangerous lines.

@NYCKrash

I don?t think most people (I mean within the rangers organization) want to lose Kreider but there is no way to give him the $$ he wants without then having to make other moves. And between shattenkirk cap hit, hank staying put, staal staying put and panarins contract I don?t think there?s a chance of that. Better to trade him and get something of value rather than watch him walk away for nothing.

The only other scenario I can see playing out is the team giving him a 1 year extension close to what he makes now and then negotiates a contract starting a year from now when they have more cap space.

If it makes you feel better Elliott?s Friedman said on sportsnet that 4 teams have expressed interest even though the rangers haven?t officially put him on the market.

I dunno what Strome is going to ask for money wise but I?d keep him for sure If the price tag is appropriate. I?ve liked him a lot since they first got him.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Me too..... I saw his talent last season and this season Panarian has been able to unlock Stromes full potential.

@NYCKrash

That's the thing. I have seen his "defensive liabilities" diminish quite a lot over the last 6 weeks or so. You can tell the coaches are working with him on it and he has shown big time improvement back there. We all know what he offers offensively, but it has always been about "Can he improve his defense?". The answer, apparently, is absolutely. You don't trade a 60 point dman who is also decent in his own zone. I think he's getting there.

That's a fair assessment too.

This year is shaping up to be interesting. We're holding a lot of cards right now - probably the top 2 deadline rentals, potentially the top 3 deadline available players if DeAngelo ends up being on the table due to contract demands. We're also 6 points out of a playoff spot with a game in hand.

I imagine a lot of this comes down to contract demands versus trade market. If the West continues as is, and the Atlantic continues to be "Bruins, plus 5 streaky teams and the Sens/Wings", it'll get really interesting come February. Keep in mind that in spite of being behind us, both Montreal and Buffalo are closer to playoff spots than we are.

I know that the team has some very tough decisions to make for the future. I'm a huge Henrik lundqvist fan and have been for his entire career since I watched him steal the position from Kevin Weeks. I also understand that I root for the Jersey and not the player. If I ran the team, which I don't, but if I did I would love to move a big contract player as an add-on to anyone who wants Kreider. For example Smith, Staal (if he waives his NTC), Buch, Skjei, or whatever else it takes to reduce the cap hit. Hopefully Henrik will hang them up since he obviously isn't able to compete at his elite level anymore. We need to stop buying out players and actually start paying for talent we have in our organization.

This team really needs to keep Strome. And apparently playing with Zibanejad on a regular basis brings the best out in Krieder. I guess this month to 6 weeks will really show us everything leading up to the trade deadline.

There's nothing more I hate in the NHL than a hard cap. I will say this about the Boston bruins, they have figured out how to keep a lot of talent at a low cost what's so many team-friendly contracts. JG worked for Boston and now he works here so maybe he can eventually get that kind of cohesion between organization and players in place. It's the only way will be able to be competitive for years to come otherwise our players will price themselves out of the team's ability to pay them.

John Davidson will get this ship in the right direction, it's just going to take some time to overcome some of the contracts we have taken on.

@NYCKrash

I'm strongly leaning toward keeping Strome. It became apparent in the first few days of this season that losing Hayes left a void. Howden won't be anything more than a third line center in his prime, Lias is toast, and Chytil had been in Hartford and likely still is not ready for full time second line duty. Put simply, our center depth isn't quite what we wanted.

Meanwhile, Strome plays up and down the lineup in all situations and does it well. He may be playing himself out of a contract, but if he can be locked down for four years at $5 mil or less, you'd be hard-pressed to find a cheaper utility 2C. It would be nice to be in the lottery again and maybe draft that future 1C, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards this year. As long as Panarin is around though, Strome has value and can produce.

JD and Gorton have covered a lot of ground thus far....and there's still a lot to go here, that's for sure.

I like what they've done so far. Some has been good, and some hasn't turned out exactly they way they wanted it to (Lias, Kravtsov...etc.)

BUT....

I think they have a good idea as to NOT ONLY where they wanna go, but how to do it. I trust them and believe that we are definitely headed in the right direction. It's hard to play Junior GM up here and I've already gone full circle on Fast and now Strome as well. There are players on this team that I just don't "feel" though.

Whether they stay or go is fine with me, and I wouldn't mind being wrong about some of these current players. I'm more curious at this point to see what JD and Gorton have up their sleeves for the Trade deadline. I sure as hell am more looking forward to after NEXT season when ALL that dead money, Staal, and Hank come off the books, as well as a couple of those old buyouts.

How the fuck does Toronto keep.all their high price forwards ,and We can't keep half of ours
Complete lack of cap management. I mean staals cap hit is nearly 6mil for Christ?s sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Or hidden option C... They spent all their money on forward and can't defend a lick, which is why they never make it our of R1.

Or hidden option C... They spent all their money on forward and can't defend a lick, which is why they never make it our of R1.
I see what you are saying ,but at least we can see some exciting hockey ,didn't the pens win the cup with allstar forwards and nameless dman

I see what you are saying ,but at least we can see some exciting hockey ,didn't the pens win the cup with allstar forwards and nameless dman

I hear ya Lefty, but they had some guys named Mario, Jaromir and this kid, Sid.

When you posses the puck for 50 minutes of a game, it's hard for the opponents to score! :rofl:

Exciting hockey is great for regular season but in the playoffs all that matters is 16 wins and it doesn't matter how you get them.

Pens didn't have an all star D but they trapped and countered all playoff.

Toronto hasn't learned what it takes.

JD and Gorton have covered a lot of ground thus far....and there's still a lot to go here, that's for sure.

I like what they've done so far. Some has been good, and some hasn't turned out exactly they way they wanted it to (Lias, Kravtsov...etc.)

BUT....

I think they have a good idea as to NOT ONLY where they wanna go, but how to do it. I trust them and believe that we are definitely headed in the right direction. It's hard to play Junior GM up here and I've already gone full circle on Fast and now Strome as well. There are players on this team that I just don't "feel" though.

Whether they stay or go is fine with me, and I wouldn't mind being wrong about some of these current players. I'm more curious at this point to see what JD and Gorton have up their sleeves for the Trade deadline. I sure as hell am more looking forward to after NEXT season when ALL that dead money, Staal, and Hank come off the books, as well as a couple of those old buyouts.

I was eagerly awaiting your response to this thread and you left me somewhat disappointed! I thought for sure you were going to say something along the lines of "Strome's ok, but Kreider needs to go!!!" Of course the way you would have put it would have been much more eloquent than that but you get my meaning.

Once again, we're looking how Kreider is playing these last few games and talking about how good he's looked and how tough he would be to replace. I'd imagine in a few weeks, when this latest hot streak concludes, we'll be saying that he's not worth any type of contract unless he takes a hometown discount. I've always been a big Kreider fan-boy but I'm still leaning towards trading him. I just don't want picks back though. I want some young piece that's not quite in the NHL but not too far away.

As far as Strome goes, I think a lot of people here are forgetting how good he was for the Rangers down the stretch last year. He was arguably the best forward the last ten games or so. Coupled with what he's done this year I think he's a no-brainer to re-sign for the right deal.

I think you keep Strome too, only for the lack of center depth we have. Guy has proven capable at 2c with god, and there just isn’t an infinite supply of Available centermen who can do that. Contract is going to be reasonable as he’s been a journeyman everywhere else. Lock him in for 4yrs and you’re good.

Kreider on the other hand is an easy one - this guy has already shown his hand, is going to get paid big by some other team, and it best not be us. He’s an inconsistent basket case who has all the gifts to make it big in the league but has failed numerous times. No reason to take a chance ling term and no reason to pass up the assets he’ll bring at the deadline.

ADA is finally a hard choice. On one hand I’m not thrilled with the contract situation. On the other hand he is part of a ridiculous defensive core we have and has proven that he can take it to the next level points wise. I’m not looking for a ling term contract for ADA, to me he has possible inconsistency written on him, so if that’s what he wants then I think we pass but to be honest I have no clue

Exciting hockey is great for regular season but in the playoffs all that matters is 16 wins and it doesn't matter how you get them.

Pens didn't have an all star D but they trapped and countered all playoff.

Toronto hasn't learned what it takes.

We got to stop spending all this stupid money on dman