• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NBC Suspends Jeremy Roenick Following Barstool Sports Comments

Phil

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can?t believe people are having trouble seeing what JR did was wrong

Easy. Context matters. A random co-worker = yikes. A great friend who just went on a vacation with you and your wife = probably not a big deal unless you want to make it one. With that said, JR had to know many would overreact about saying a joke like that with the way things are currently. And some of those would be higher ups at NBC.

By the way, I notice the people up in arms about it haven't given a shit about the other comments to his male counterparts. Only the ones about Tappen. That's interesting.

Easy. Context matters. A random co-worker = yikes. A great friend who just went on a vacation with you and your wife = probably not a big deal unless you want to make it one. With that said, JR had to know many would overreact about saying a joke like that with the way things are currently. And some of those would be higher ups at NBC.

By the way, I notice the people up in arms about it haven't given a shit about the other comments to his male counterparts. Only the ones about Tappen. That's interesting.

That's the double standard. No one cares about "bro talk". Sharp probably thought it was hilarious too. Plus, Sharp is an athlete. He gets locker room humor.

So are you implying Tappen is at fault here for "making a big deal over nothing?"

Also I've mentioned his comments about Sharp at least one time (I'm not going back to look).

Chiclets addressed it in the latest pod.

As was said, had nothing to do with internet outrage. He violated NBC policy. Tappen was put in a terrible position and had to respond.

Biz also said he wished he took it out. Pretty clear they know it wasn't appropriate.

They tried to play both sides of fence but was definitely a mea culpa.

Chiclets addressed it in the latest pod.

As was said, had nothing to do with internet outrage. He violated NBC policy. Tappen was put in a terrible position and had to respond.

Biz also said he wished he took it out. Pretty clear they know it wasn't appropriate.

They tried to play both sides of fence but was definitely a mea culpa.

It's still a win for them. They probably have increased listeners due to this...the whole no bad press theory.

Erin Andrews profile went thru the roof from something way, way worse. Tappen is already seeing a social media bump. shitty situation but hey good for her. honestly she should go on Chiclets imo but hard to imagine NBC being ok with it anytime soon.

It was just an incredibly stupid thing to say in today's climate.

I'm sure he and Tappen make jokes like that in private. I'm pretty sure that type of tone is fine between those two. I'd imagine the majority of people listening to that pod weren't incredibly offended when they heard it.

But that's not the point. There's absolutely no way a company like NBC could be seen as being soft on such an issue. It's impossible. They had to follow protocol and act on it accordingly.

I'm actually amazed Roenick didn't have it removed from the interview.

I'm actually amazed Roenick didn't have it removed from the interview.

it was really good to hear that Chiclets gives full editing rights to their guests. and yeah given the climate of NBC you’d think that JR or anyone would think twice and play it safe. but it also shows just how comfortable JR and Tappen must be with each other for him to share and leave it in.

I don’t think NBC had much of a choice, given Weinstein and Lauer.

but I also don’t think Tappen had much of a choice to come out and say (through NBC PR) that she was uncomfortable even if she wasn’t really—OR if she didn’t want to speak up at all. she literally had to represent all women and damn that sucks.

not sure anyone remembers but a few years ago a weather lady for KTLA in Los Angeles was handed a sweater (by a male co-worker) to cover up on live air, presumably because she was wearing a little black dress. the story went national and all the knives were out. a few days later she came out and said it was a joke, no big deal, and that she loves her co-workers and shares their humor. that was just before the MeToo movement. I’m not so sure she could defend her friends the same way today. when a woman gets put in the spotlight now they get stuck with the MeToo megaphone. I wonder if Tappen would’ve been free to actually laugh with her bff if it was 2016.

it was really good to hear that Chiclets gives full editing rights to their guests. and yeah given the climate of NBC you’d think that JR or anyone would think twice and play it safe. but it also shows just how comfortable JR and Tappen must be with each other for him to share and leave it in.

I don’t think NBC had much of a choice, given Weinstein and Lauer.

but I also don’t think Tappen had much of a choice to come out and say (through NBC PR) that she was uncomfortable even if she wasn’t really—OR if she didn’t want to speak up at all. she literally had to represent all women and damn that sucks.

not sure anyone remembers but a few years ago a weather lady for KTLA in Los Angeles was handed a sweater (by a male co-worker) to cover up on live air, presumably because she was wearing a little black dress. the story went national and all the knives were out. a few days later she came out and said it was a joke, no big deal, and that she loves her co-workers and shares their humor. that was just before the MeToo movement. I’m not so sure she could defend her friends the same way today. when a woman gets put in the spotlight now they get stuck with the MeToo megaphone. I wonder if Tappen would’ve been free to actually laugh with her bff if it was 2016.

I think it's a wild assumption to think that Tappen is OK with JR taking "inside baseball" outside. Just because you can make a joke in front of 3 people you know closely. Doesn't mean that joke is OK for 300,000 people.

I just took my annual sexual harassment training and it's really clear that JR violated policy and opened NBC up to a lot of liability. Harassment doesn't always occur between 2 people, anyone watching that harassment happening can claim that it made for an uncomfortable work environment.

In short, if JR's comments had any other employee uncomfortable, that's liability.

Also there's a big difference between handing a co-worker a jacket and publicly stating you want to bone them.

I don't know how anyone can not see these types of comments are not acceptable in today's society.

coupla guys having a few beers at a bar, different story.

let's not paint NBC as any sort of white knight here though. They have plenty of mud on their cape as well, i.e., Lauer and how they've handled a host of other things wrong.

what you're witnessing is the crumbling of the old boys network.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Officially fired.

Jeremy Roenick?s suspension from NBC Sports in December for comments he made about co-workers Kathryn Tappen and Patrick Sharp while a guest on Barstool Sports? Spittin? Chiclets podcast appears to have concluded today with a dismissal.

The former NHL star and broadcaster posted a video on Wednesday with the caption ?What a Joke!!? in which he announces he will not be returning to NBC Sports.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jeremy-roenick-dismissed-by-nbc-for-inappropriate-comments-im-very-disappointed-and-angry-195329124.html