• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Not Unthinkable: Buying Out Hank

Sod16

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At league minimum perhaps

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Most likely, Puck. I would think Hank would have made his coin, and would stick around at a friendly price tag...considering he's really spent his entire career here, and wants to be a Ranger for life. I can respect that. And even though I was a fan of moving him to a contender to try to win a Cup, I can still be content knowing this guy gave his all for a team he loves to play for, in a city he loves to live in.

Who better than Hank to be a mentor to a player like Shesty? ;)

Nah, it's unthinkable. He's the face of the franchise. You don't buyout the face of the franchise when he's already shown a willingness to reduce his work load and give up runway to heir apparent(s). He was given this contract in good faith and it should be honored the same.

The simplest solution is to trade the the probably overperforming backup, then platoon Hank and Shesty. None better than Hank for the Prince to learn from anyway.

As Dunny pointed out, Sather dealt Leetch. If you can do that, buying out Lundqvist is not at all unthinkable. Sure there will be some whiny fans, but so what.

And the whole mentor thing is overrated. Allaire is the mentor.

Right. What does that tell their current young players who may be admired like Henrik one day, if they don't show some loyalty until the end. Especially when it's not like he's bad. He's still good. He's just not top 5-10 good anymore.

In a cap sport, loyalty only goes with performance. Did anyone here love the playoff desert of Messier 2.0?

As Dunny pointed out, Sather dealt Leetch. If you can do that, buying out Lundqvist is not at all unthinkable. Sure there will be some whiny fans, but so what.

Nah. You're underrating it. Lundqvist came into the league when Shesty was 9. NINE! For literally his entire highly competitive hockey career, Shesty has known Lundkvist as the NYR goalie, one of the best goalies ever, and just before they get to be teammates people want to buy Hank out thinking 'its a business'. Shesty going back to the KHL would just be a business decision too, but we'd hate that one.

Yes, as part of the liquidation of the franchise. The same opportunity was awarded to Lundqvist. He declined. They shouldn't lean on him over it. He was given that contract in good faith and it should be honored as such. They did their due diligence and asked. He declined. Move on. Going back to that well repeatedly, pressuring him (or worse) is a PR nightmare just waiting to explode.

Also, it's easy for you to say mentorship is overrated. You're not the one actually experiencing it. The players are. Perhaps it's all just par for the course in the lexicon of the sport, but far too many of them talk about this exact sort of thing for me to cast it aside as unimportant.

Going back to ask him if he'll waive that clause once per year is completely fine. You're not going to beg, or whatever, but they can lay the situation out for him and ask again this year. I don't see an issue with that.

Go ahead. Just don't threaten/pressure him when he says no. If they did what they should — trading Georgiev and calling up Shesty — on paper, there's no problem with carrying an $8.5 million backup for a season. Their contract expirations line up, so there should be literally nothing stopping them from passing the torch figuratively and financially without a hiccup.

Any potential cup team already has a goalie. And no potential cup team is going to trade for him as a backup even with half of his salary. Im not even sure he’s tradable

This is basically why I started the thread and why a buy out is not unthinkable. That's not to say it's probable, but the Rangers may not want to give up Georgiev in order to provide Hank with a final season.

He’a not under appreciated, its just his time has pretty much come.

Incorrect.

This isn't something that has come about recently. You've had a significant section of the fanbase after him pretty much since the day that contract was signed. There is a frighteningly large number of simpletons whose argument revolves around the idea Lundqvist and his contract was a main contributor in holding that era Rangers back from winning a cup.

This guy is the best Ranger goaltender ever, a bonafide HoF'er, his number will go to the rafters the minute he retires and he's one of the best Rangers ever regardless of position. He should be a Rangers hero no questions asked, but he's not. It's a damned shame.

Just because he’s a legend, doesnt mean its not time for him to move on.

Absolutely. Just do it in a fitting way. It's not too much to ask.

I remember the yearly Lundqvist debates long before his current contract was signed, before the Rangers turned into a real contender, when he basically carried average teams to the Playoffs on his own. Then it went quiet for maybe a year and after the contract was signed it returned in full force.

Incorrect.

This isn't something that has come about recently. You've had a significant section of the fanbase after him pretty much since the day that contract was signed. There is a frighteningly large number of simpletons whose argument revolves around the idea Lundqvist and his contract was a main contributor in holding that era Rangers back from winning a cup.

This guy is the best Ranger goaltender ever, a bonafide HoF'er, his number will go to the rafters the minute he retires and he's one of the best Rangers ever regardless of position. He should be a Rangers hero no questions asked, but he's not. It's a damned shame.

Absolutely. Just do it in a fitting way. It's not too much to ask.

So whoever disagrees with your POV is a simpleton a.k.a. moron. Nice going with the name calling there.

Just because he’s the best goalie this franchise has ever had, doesnt mean we should suck his dick for all eternity. He got well compensated for his talents and got us nothing other than broken remotes and cracked TV sets. We owe him shit.

And if the mangmt decides to buy him out because some other kid may get us to the promised land, i say bye-bye Henrik, we’ll see you at the HOF inauguration

• Like 1

So whoever disagrees with your POV is a simpleton a.k.a. moron. Nice going with the name calling there.

Just because he’s the best goalie this franchise has ever had, doesnt mean we should suck his dick for all eternity. He got well compensated for his talents and got us nothing other than broken remotes and cracked TV sets. We owe him shit.

And if the mangmt decides to buy him out because some other kid may get us to the promised land, i say bye-bye Henrik, we’ll see you at the HOF inauguration

This I agree with

They don’t owe him anything. They “owed” him what he got, namely a massive contract and to be the face of the franchise for more than a decade.

But they won’t buy him out. It’s plausible. Far from unthinkable. But they just won’t do it.

He’s got a year left on his deal. They approached him about a trade. He’s said no. Clearly he wants to stay in NY, be a part of this team as it rebuilds, keep his family where he’s got them and collect his check.

They can continue to ask if he’s willing to be dealt. Maybe they revisit it next offseason.

More likely though they move one of the younger goalies and just ride it out with Hank splitting time. They can do that short term. It doesn’t kill them