• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Georgiev to Toronto?

Phil

agreed. might be one of the most important deCisions gorts/davidson will make in their tenure.

not sure i agree with having to trade one. this league is definitely moving towards having to goalies split more or less an equal load.

Another issue is that if they don't have any visible openings they can stand to lose Tyler Wall to UFA this offseason. As much as I like Georgiev and would like to keep him, there's a scenario where you stand to lose Shesterkin to Russia and the best goalie in college hockey. Even though goaltender development can be inconsistent it's pretty clear that the Rangers pipeline is a strength they can deal from. Georgiev doesn't fit the long-term well without a few miracles.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. While we dont see Brodeurs playing 80 games anymore, we also dont see 1B goalies. Anytime there is close to being a tandem, or 1B, there is a trade made... because it doesnt work.
Yea, I don't know about that.

Dallas, Boston, Isles, Canes last year... All have 1, 1A situations.

Every team in the NHL is talking goalie load management.

Bishop and Rask were hurt

Islanders and canes used multiple goalies because they weren’t good enough

Lehner and Greiss won the Jennings last year with a 43/39 split. Weren't good enough?

This has zero to do with injury, especially in the Stars case. They do it because they have the worst travel in the league.

It's pretty well documented.

When was the last time a 1/1B situation resulted in a trade.

Not always a trade. Lehner left.

Vasi/Bishop last big one.

Grubauer was traded after taking starts.

Varlamov is always moving.

Schneider’s career.

Yes, a backup is important. But 1A/1B isn’t a thing.

Bishop was traded 4 years ago.

Grubauer was enticement for Colorado to take Orpik's salary to make room for Carlson. (LINK)

Varlamov was in Colorado for 8 years before going to NYI to be part of a...you guessed it, goalie tandem.

Don't know what Schneider's career has to do with it other than he was, once a upon a time, moved because of Luongo...Also 8 years ago.

So when the last time a goalie got traded to make room for the heir apparent (Tampa) was 4 years ago...It's pretty accurate to say "the league is moving to a shared start model."

All you have to do is Google "NHL goalie load management" and see the articles from earlier this year on how this is the new trend in the NHL. (LINK)

I know goalie load. I'm talking 1B. None of those teams have a 1B.

If you can get assets for an expendable piece, you do.

I'm fine with keep Georgiev. He's a decent backup. But if there's the idea that he's an NHL starter, you have to make a trade.

All the guys mentioned in the article are mostly journeyman backups. And that's fine... and easy to find when necessary.

Is there a team that anointed a deserving #1, gave them a monster deal, and didn't come to regret it? Hank is about the only one that wasn't virtually instantly regrettable.

I want a conveyor belt of quality goaltending. It starts with these two. As they get expensive you move on.

Is there a team that anointed a deserving #1, gave them a monster deal, and didn't come to regret it? Hank is about the only one that wasn't virtually instantly regrettable.

I want a conveyor belt of quality goaltending. It starts with these two. As they get expensive you move on.

I think this can be said about any high paid players

I trade when one is more valuable via trade than on the roster.

I know goalie load. I'm talking 1B. None of those teams have a 1B.

If you can get assets for an expendable piece, you do.

I'm fine with keep Georgiev. He's a decent backup. But if there's the idea that he's an NHL starter, you have to make a trade.

All the guys mentioned in the article are mostly journeyman backups. And that's fine... and easy to find when necessary.

Used to be the difference between a starter and backup (and an argument often made RE: our backups) was "Yea, he's good, but can he do it for 65 games?" Not they don't have to. They have to do it for 35. Those guys who were 3-4 years ago "journeyman backups" (which not all of them are, anyway), are not split starters on very good teams. So, to the original point, times have changed.

That's pretty much how I feel. Sad part is Shesty has to play one more year in the "A", if that's the way you want to go.

If not, trade Geo, go with Shesty/Lundy next year, and you've got 2-3 viable goalies in the pipeline. The chances are at least one pan out.

i think there is still an elite class of goalies (say top five or so) but the next 15 goalies are less separated from elite than the 1980’s because of improvements in coaching and training. you will always have your roys and haseks, but the league average or better goalie is formidable. so the question becomes roster construction- how much money do you want to allot to your skaters vs goalies... and within skaters top 6, defensemen, etc.

i am ok with league average or better goaltending if we can address shortcomings in defense and make upgrades to our skaters.

i think there is still an elite class of goalies (say top five or so) but the next 15 goalies are less separated from elite than the 1980’s because of improvements in coaching and training. you will always have your roys and haseks, but the league average or better goalie is formidable. so the question becomes roster construction- how much money do you want to allot to your skaters vs goalies... and within skaters top 6, defensemen, etc.

i am ok with league average or better goaltending if we can address shortcomings in defense and make upgrades to our skaters.

Thats the way i see it as well. Not sure there’s a need for a $8M superstar goalie.

unless you are the devils, you still have to pay. Looking at cap -friendly, its not like goalie platoons spend less on goaltenders.

Good point, but if one is on an ELC, or early arb years, that's different.

yeah but even a guy getting 40 starts is going to get how much?

I mean, you're talking a shit ton of goalie turnover if you walk away every time a guy needs a contract.

Honestly, I'd love to see another goalie earn a big contract in NY. That's usually a good sign, even if cringe worthy for fans on a message board.