• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Georgiev to Toronto?

Phil

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with your split there and there's nothing that Quinn has done to suggest he's going to ride Lundquist based on his rep.

Yeah, it might be 50-50 Lundqvist/Shest... Shest is an unknown at NHL level.

At least we have some NHL data on Georgiev.

We probably need to wait until 2022-2023 as a target for a deep NHL playoff run. We've got some contracts to get rid of, need to improve our defensemen pairings, and see what young players will pan out.

It probably doesn't matter too much who we put in goal the next year or two until we fix the other issues on the ice. As a fan, I'm just learning to deal with inconsistency - shutouts or one goals against followed up by 4 or 5 goals against. In those shellings there have been some soft goals but also some chronically bad defending, in the eye of the beholder how you parse out the blame.

Yeah, it might be 50-50 Lundqvist/Shest... Shest is an unknown at NHL level.

At least we have some NHL data on Georgiev.

We probably need to wait until 2022-2023 as a target for a deep NHL playoff run. We've got some contracts to get rid of, need to improve our defensemen pairings, and see what young players will pan out.

It probably doesn't matter too much who we put in goal the next year or two until we fix the other issues on the ice. As a fan, I'm just learning to deal with inconsistency - shutouts or one goals against followed up by 4 or 5 goals against. In those shellings there have been some soft goals but also some chronically bad defending, in the eye of the beholder how you parse out the blame.

Yea. I think it was a pretty wild assumption that Trouba would just slot everyone else down into the right place. He's had his own issues and Hajek has either regressed or he's suffering from a bad case of ADA.

Yea. I think it was a pretty wild assumption that Trouba would just slot everyone else down into the right place. He's had his own issues and Hajek has either regressed or he's suffering from a bad case of ADA.

If Trouba can bring to the table what he's brought the last 2 weeks, he will be a #1 RHD and well worth the contract. And he has already slotted everyone else down because he's our best defenseman in his own zone.

I'm not sure Hajek was ever that good. He had a good few games last year before getting hurt, but he hasn't proven anything. Interested to see how Rykov does in Hartford, and if he can challenge for a spot at some point this year. Right now, I'd probably insert Staal back into the lineup for Hajek.

If Trouba can bring to the table what he's brought the last 2 weeks, he will be a #1 RHD and well worth the contract. And he has already slotted everyone else down because he's our best defenseman in his own zone.

I'm not sure Hajek was ever that good. He had a good few games last year before getting hurt, but he hasn't proven anything. Interested to see how Rykov does in Hartford, and if he can challenge for a spot at some point this year. Right now, I'd probably insert Staal back into the lineup for Hajek.

It's hard to tell what Hajek is since when he's been playing poorly it's either with a struggling Trouba against the other team's best players, or with ADA who seems to be a defensive anchor for anyone he's with. I agree, though, he should sit.

I just went and looked at Trouba's numbers since 11/17 and while he has the most points (one more than Fox), he's the 3rd behind Skjei and Fox in the fancy stats. By...a lot. Currently, Fox is the best defeseman in his own zone. Pretty wild, but I'm sure there's also a deployment discrepancy.

Regardless of who he is, he's not wrong - it is the smartest move and I am a giant Lundqvist fan.

However, once you get him to waive it then you need to find a team that can hold that salary. Not many in the league doing that and also in need of Lundqvist. Forget about Toronto, they've got $0 in cap space.

Whoever that kid is has a very punchable face, judging by his profile pic.

I don't agree it's the smartest move anymore. I used to, but

I am 100% sold on Shestyorkin as the future goalie. What he's doing in Hartford is nothing short of phenomenal. Georgiev is good and seems like a real nice kid, but he's not what I think Shestyorkin will be.

The smartest long term move is to trade Georgiev for worthwhile pieces, then get Shestyorkin up here to split time with Lundqvist and also learn the ropes from him as a mentor. Then increase Shestyorkin's role next year to have a larger portion of the split.

• Like 1

I am 100% sold on Shestyorkin as the future goalie. What he's doing in Hartford is nothing short of phenomenal. Georgiev is good and seems like a real nice kid, but he's not what I think Shestyorkin will be.

The smartest long term move is to trade Georgiev for worthwhile pieces, then get Shestyorkin up here to split time with Lundqvist and also learn the ropes from him as a mentor. Then increase Shestyorkin's role next year to have a larger portion of the split.

This is the likely route and, I agree, a smart one.

I think you're right as well, RMC.

This sounds like the logical route it's most likely going to play out. I love the way Georgie has been playing, and he sure has endeared himself to scouting GM's around the league the last few weeks. His value I don't think can be any higher than it is now, and we may be able to get back something pretty decent for him.

I hope the kid gets a chance to play for a cup....I'll be rooting for him all the way.

Gotta go this route.

I like Georgiev too. I think he’s a good kid and a nice player and I think he’s potentially a starter. But he doesn’t have Shestyorkin’s ability or ceiling.

There’s 3 NHL goalies within the organization right now. One of whom is untradeable.

Need to move Georgiev, get some value for him in return and focus on Shestyorkin by bringing him up and letting him play and learn at NHL level

Bingo. Cash in on Georgiev the way they should have with Talbot (by dealing him at the deadline, rather than at the draft when the goalie market dried up).

Bring up Shestyorkin and get him acclimated on the fly, especially if the Rangers are in a playoff picture.

Shestyorkin would then get Georgiev's workload next year, or maybe more (true tandem split?) en route to taking over. Think Lundqvist/Weekes.

Trading Lundqvist is more than a non-starter. It's frankly nonsense. They gave him an out a few years ago. He didn't want to take it. The team can take a long look at what he has left when this contract is up, but they awarded it to him in good faith, and he's done more than right by them during the span of it to this point. Pulling the rug out from under him would send the worst possible message. He's still the face of the franchise. You don't force your franchise to retire early, or threaten him when he's clearly OK with reducing his duties. The guy has earned the right to call his shot. Don't take that away from him.

• Like 1

Bingo. Cash in on Georgiev the way they should have with Talbot (by dealing him at the deadline, rather than at the draft when the goalie market dried up).

Bring up Shestyorkin and get him acclimated on the fly, especially if the Rangers are in a playoff picture.

Shestyorkin would then get Georgiev's workload next year, or maybe more (true tandem split?) en route to taking over. Think Lundqvist/Weekes.

Trading Lundqvist is more than a non-starter. It's frankly nonsense. They gave him an out a few years ago. He didn't want to take it. The team can take a long look at what he has left when this contract is up, but they awarded it to him in good faith, and he's done more than right by them during the span of it to this point. Pulling the rug out from under him would send the worst possible message. He's still the face of the franchise. You don't force your franchise to retire early, or threaten him when he's clearly OK with reducing his duties. The guy has earned the right to call his shot. Don't take that away from him.

I can roll with that, Phil

There are a ton of cap complications to consider, but I still think TOR makes the most sense. You can even ratchet things up to include Nylander and/or Ceci to make it all work.

It likely needs a third team, or a second trade, but there's value in something like Georgiev (back-up problem solved) + Kreider (top line LW to play with Matthews) + DeAngelo (Barrie insurance policy who can round out top-six and kick Ceci out of the picture) for Insert Trade Here.

There are a ton of cap complications to consider, but I still think TOR makes the most sense. You can even ratchet things up to include Nylander and/or Ceci to make it all work.

It likely needs a third team, or a second trade, but there's value in something like Georgiev (back-up problem solved) + Kreider (top line LW to play with Matthews) + DeAngelo (Barrie insurance policy who can round out top-six and kick Ceci out of the picture) for Insert Trade Here.

I like your thinking sir!

Now....what do we want back? (/rubs hands together) ;)

None of this makes sense.

Rangers cant take on another big salary, and Toronto doesnt want to lose Nylander for 3 FAs.

I dont see Dubas moving Ceci. I think Ceci is one of the most overrated players in the league, so there must be some reason he's liked by management there.

Outside of Ceci or Nylander, Toronto has no salary to move. Kapanen/Johnnason will be used to get a RHD that fills the void. DeAngelo is closer to what they already have.

Georgiev for a 2nd/3rd + RFA cap dump