• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Lineup Not Diverse Enough; Buch for Josh Anderson?

Phil

The Rangers are a talent-driven team with not quite enough top-end talent to compete on a consistent basis with the big boys. Problem is, when their skill game is shut down or on a holiday ? was tough to determine which was which in this contest in which the Golden Knights were never seriously threatened ?the Rangers? lineup is not diversified enough to win a different way.

Which is something general manager Jeff Gorton must consider as he reviews his options. If, as seems likely, the Rangers do move pending free-agent Kreider and effectively replace the winger in the top-six rotation with the more finesse-oriented Vitali Kravtsov, the team will become even more homogenized.

Under that scenario, perhaps moving Pavel Buchnevich for a north-south winger might make sense to investigate. Someone like Columbus? Josh Anderson, who has struggled this year, might make sense. The idea is not to toss away or scapegoat Buchnevich, invisible in this one, but to use him in order to diversify the approach and the attack.

https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/lingering-flaw-is-rangers-unfortunate-reality/

The "problem" is they are 1 player away from being the worst team in the NHL. Another "grinder" isnt the key.

Note: Would have been total for such move with 2 more youngsters in the lineup. But no sense adding to a core of McKegg, Haley, Smith, Lemieux, Boo

(so, after reading... I guess I'd agree)

Not really interested in Anderson.

I'd want someone with a higher skill level. I think a one-for-one swap for someone like Rickard Rakell would be a good move. He had a down year last season because of a bad Anaheim team but he's still a good player. He's versatile (can play all three positions) and, I think, is someone Quinn could feel he could lean on given his style of play. He's just slightly more expensive than Buch but has one more year on his deal.

I don't think you trade this kid...he's progressing in my eyes....albeit he drives me up a wall sometimes. ;)

He just needs some guidance; Basically one of his team mates who is a leader to grab him by the collar and say "hey dumbass! When you're in the slot and I give you a gimme pass, bury the damn thing and stop screwing around!"

They could definitely use more grit and yes, as they grow and begin to emerge as a better team like we all hope they will, they will need to win games in other ways.

But I don’t think now is the time to go shopping for ingredients for a second type of dish when you’re not done cooking the first one nor do you know how that first dish will look when it’s complete.

And Buch for Anderson would be them taking a loss in a trade. I’m sorry. I like Anderson, but Buch has so much more to his game than Anderson does.

People get too hung up with the hysteria of :gasp: trading Buch that they're not focusing on the undeniable logic that's there.

Kreider, probably Strome, maybe Fast are moving on. They are basically straight line players. They're not going to bring back developed assets. Likely picks and prospects.

So, that leaves a top 6 corp of:

Buch

--

Zibenejad

Panarin

Kakko

Chytil

Kravtsov (eventually)

Henriksson (eventually)

The issue that's being pointed out is that when the skill game is taken away (and it will be taken away at times), the top 6 isn't going to get you a greasy goal and the bottom 6 is greasy but unlikely to get you a goal.

So out of the guys who are in that list, if you had to move someone to get a more straight line player...Who are you moving?

You can agree or disagree with the logic, but there's some pretty sound logic there.

That said, Anderson wouldn't be the guy I'd target.

• Like 1

Buchnevich had a strong 2nd half last year, was expecting him to build off that, hasn’t thus far

Buchnevich for Namestnikov

Buch is having his best season as a pro. Granted we’d like it better if he had a few more goals, but he’s pacing at 60 points right now.

Hard to say he hasn’t built on the end of last season

People get too hung up with the hysteria of :gasp: trading Buch that they're not focusing on the undeniable logic that's there.

Kreider, probably Strome, maybe Fast are moving on. They are basically straight line players. They're not going to bring back developed assets. Likely picks and prospects.

Buch

--

Zibenejad

Panarin

Kakko

Chytil

Kravtsov (eventually)

Henriksson (eventually)

The issue that's being pointed out is that when the skill game is taken away (and it will be taken away at times), the top 6 isn't going to get you a greasy goal and the bottom 6 is greasy but unlikely to get you a goal.

So out of the guys who are in that list, if you had to move someone to get a more straight line player...Who are you moving?

You can agree or disagree with the logic, but there's some pretty sound logic there.

That's pretty accurate, Pete.

I'm not going to miss Kreider, and he might get us a better return if he could actually do something this season to make himself more marketable....like give 100%, and not be invisible for 75% of the game

Strome I can live without, he's a decent player but leaves a lot on the table. He'd probably be a decent 3rd/4th line center for a contender at the deadline. he wont get us much in return.

Fast has no value to me. He can't score, hit, or play the PP. He's a checking line player that doesn't check. If he gets us back a Zamboni tire, it would be a lot.

But I'm not for tossing Buch away just yet...he needs to keep playing and learning. I actually think he's coming along...painstakingly, yes.... but still progressing.

So a player on pace for 60 points should be traded for one with 3 points in 20 games because he skates north-south?

Hard pass, but I'm with Brooks on a bit more diversification in style of play.

Yeah, I think he has the right idea, just the wrong target.

Like, if Brady Tkachuk were on the table, I'd happily ship say Kreider + Buch + to OTT for him.

Buch

--

Zibenejad

Panarin

Kakko

Chytil

Kravtsov (eventually)

Henriksson (eventually)

Hence some of the complaints a lot of us have had with the bottom 6. Its not that they are bottom 6 players, its that they are completely worthless. Fucking McKegg, Haley, Brendan Smith... wtf? We're talking about guys with absolutely zero potential. At least with Howden, Andersson, Lemieux, Kravtsov theres a little hope (another 1 more skilled line). Last season you still had Namestnikov and Vesey in the bottom 6. Hard workers, not physical guys, but guys that could contribute in multiple ways.

Hence some of the complaints a lot of us have had with the bottom 6. Its not that they are bottom 6 players, its that they are completely worthless. Fucking McKegg, Haley, Brendan Smith... wtf? We're talking about guys with absolutely zero potential. At least with Howden, Andersson, Lemieux, Kravtsov theres a little hope (another 1 more skilled line). Last season you still had Namestnikov and Vesey in the bottom 6. Hard workers, not physical guys, but guys that could contribute in multiple ways.
Not sure what the complaint is. Howden and Lemieux are in bottom 6 now. Howden is not good. Andersson is not good. Lemieux is decent.

The top 6 could use some skilled simplicity.

This isn't about trading Buch to upgrade the bottom 6.

Not sure what the complaint is. Howden and Lemieux are in bottom 6 now. Howden is not good. Andersson is not good. Lemieux is decent.

The top 6 could use some skilled simplicity.

This isn't about trading Buch to upgrade the bottom 6.

the complaints a lot of us have had with the bottom 6. Its not that they are bottom 6 players, its that they are completely worthless. Fucking McKegg, Haley, Brendan Smith... wtf?

It's not about upgrading the bottom 6, its about upgrading on "players whose main purpose is not offense" players. Players that have some sort of impact. "He wasnt competing against Smith!"

the complaints a lot of us have had with the bottom 6. Its not that they are bottom 6 players, its that they are completely worthless. Fucking McKegg, Haley, Brendan Smith... wtf?

It's not about upgrading the bottom 6, its about upgrading on "players whose main purpose is not offense" players. Players that have some sort of impact. "He wasnt competing against Smith!"

OK. It's not about the bottom 6. It's about the top 6.

OK. It's not about the bottom 6. It's about the top 6.

BECAUSE the bottom 6 is worthless. If the current bottom 6 did anything, ever, this wouldnt be an issue. They cant score, they cant skate, they can barely forecheck, they dont check, they dont pressure, they rarely inject energy, etc etc

Trading Buch is a bad idea. Kreider has the one way ticket out of here come February. Replace him with a cheaper alternative and lets draft some north/South players. All of the sudden we are making plays to compete now? F that idea, stay the course. We build through the draft and by sending the pending FA's out of here. Lets keep our head in the long game.

BECAUSE the bottom 6 is worthless. If the current bottom 6 did anything, ever, this wouldnt be an issue. They cant score, they cant skate, they can barely forecheck, they dont check, they dont pressure, they rarely inject energy, etc etc
I understand but I don't get how you get to the point you're making with the players you're referencing... the ones you said should be in the bottom 6 already are...You referenced Howden Lemieux and Andersson should be our bottom 6. But they were.

The players you're complaining about are the 4th line. Any team relying on the 4th line for offense is already in trouble.

I get the case you want to make but you're using bad examples to make it.

Trading Buch is a bad idea. Kreider has the one way ticket out of here come February. Replace him with a cheaper alternative and lets draft some north/South players. All of the sudden we are making plays to compete now? F that idea, stay the course. We build through the draft and by sending the pending FA's out of here. Lets keep our head in the long game.

I dont think trading Buchnevich for a role player like Anderson is the right trade. If they target Anderson, you do something like Andersson + Keane/pick. the reason Buch would be discussed is due to J Anderson being a RFA and moving Buchnevich would open up that cap space to re-sign