• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pronman: Nils Lundkvist Listed Among Prospects "I was wrong about,"

Pete

Nils Lundkvist, N.Y. Rangers

Drafted: No. 28 overall in 2018

I watched Lundkvist a lot in his draft season, between live and video viewings at the J20, SHL and international U18 levels. I really studied him. I saw an undersized defenseman with a great two-way brain, but I thought he lacked anything special in the speed or skill department. He had looked good versus men and in junior club play, but overall I thought he wasn?t anything special and a mediocre NHL prospect. A year later, my opinion didn?t change much. He was just OK at the world juniors, decent/fine in the SHL but still lacked a wow factor. I knew numerous NHL scouts who shared this opinion, but also some loved the player ?*and obviously the Rangers loved him as they made him a first-round pick.

This season,*Lundkvist is on pace*to be the best scoring teenage defenseman in SHL history by a wide margin. He?s having an absolutely monster season. When I?ve watched Lulea, it was clear I underrated his skill and speed. He?s an excellent skater with a good but not great skill level, but his hockey IQ is near elite, as well. At the international level he hasn?t been amazing, but*as discussed last year, that?s why you watch the club games.

The aforementioned biases against small defensemen and toward high-end skill defensemen instead of the elite IQ/feet type of defensemen contributed, in part, to why I underrated recent small, less flashy defensemen in the draft, such as Lundkvist (and to lesser extents players like Rasmus Sandin and Ville Heinola, although I wouldn?t call them elite skaters). Lundkvist hasn?t played an NHL game yet, and he may not be some top 10-pick caliber prospect, but he?s a very good prospect, and his evaluation clearly was way off. I?ve since changed my philosophy on this matter to more highly value players with his skill set.

--

https://theathletic.com/1420088/2019/12/02/pronman-nhl-prospects-i-was-wrong-about-2019-edition?source=shared-article

I’ve liked this guy for a long time now, and his season just keeps getting better and better. If he keeps going like this, I honestly think he could be ready for the NHL already next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm gonna have to watch the Lulea game. Every report out of those watching Lundkvist makes it sound like he's flying

His progress has been great. I was and still am a fan of the pick. I still think he needs to marinate for a while. He went from being somewhat of a utility player last season to a big role this season. It's great, but you want to see that for a sustained period. I think at least another year in the SHL and then maybe the AHL or NHL depending on how far he's come along. The production he's had is great but the SHL is a weird league especially when it comes to D scoring numbers.

His progress has been great. I was and still am a fan of the pick. I still think he needs to marinate for a while. He went from being somewhat of a utility player last season to a big role this season. It's great, but you want to see that for a sustained period. I think at least another year in the SHL and then maybe the AHL or NHL depending on how far he's come along. The production he's had is great but the SHL is a weird league especially when it comes to D scoring numbers.

Yeah, even if I think he COULD play in the NHL next year, I dont think they should rush him in any way. If he wants to stay one more year in Sweden, fine, if not, he?ll be ready to play big minutes in the AHL, before maybe getting some NHL games at the end of next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk