• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Devils Listening to Offers on Taylor Hall

I think it was Hockey Central that talked about Colorado being an option and they make sense to me. Plenty of cap space and assets. Maybe Alex Newhook as one of the prospects going the other way.

That Colorado team would be so dangerous with a guy like Hall added to the team.

Rantanen - mackinnon - Landeskog

Hall - Kadri - donskoi

Thats a sick top 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

One golden season seems like a bit of an outlier from an otherwise very good but not great career. Not sure I'd want to give up major assets for the privilege of overpaying on a seven year deal for that.

Hall's basically a PPG player, isn't he?

He's going to be overpaid - no doubt.

The Habs aren't competitive and have a mostly trash prospect pool. I don't see why he'd make any sense via trade if they run the risk of losing him. Their only really significant prospect outside of the NHL is Caufield and I'd vomit if NJ got him together with Hughes again.

That's a big selling point for New Jersey to entertain them as partners, though.

That's a big selling point for New Jersey to entertain them as partners, though.

I know. Which is why I'd vomit.

I think how good Caufield has been, especially sans Hughes, is also reason enough for Montreal not to deal him. Why trade the best goal-scoring prospect in hockey for a guy who's 9 years older that might not stay?

Colorado: The Avalanche were the team most mentioned over the weekend, with ESPN’s Greg Wyshynski notably reporting he had heard New Jersey has scouted Colorado at all levels this season.

And this from our Avalanche writer Ryan Clark who reached out to me Sunday night:

“Usually, the New Jersey Devils are not one of the teams that have regularly sent a scout to Pepsi Center to observe the Colorado Avalanche. That is no longer the case. The Devils have had one of their scouts monitor both the Avalanche and their AHL affiliate, the Colorado Eagles, for the last few weeks.”

Calgary: Is there hometown allure for Hall? The Flames have been inconsistent all season. They sit on the playoff bubble. How much are they willing to pay for a player they might lose July 1? Or does GM Brad Treliving only make that trade if, like Stone in Vegas, he can be assured he can sign Hall long-term? The Flames have all of their top picks for the next few years.

Montreal: The Canadiens have lots of cap room and can especially leverage the field of bidders on Hall if they strike sooner rather than later, when the cap hit is less of factor. I’ve heard no concrete evidence they’re actually interested, by the way, but the combination of their cap room with the idea Hall might love to return to a passionate Canadian market has some people wondering. But like the Flames, the Habs are a bubble team thanks to their recent slide, and I don’t know if GM Marc Bergevin can justify a large price paid if Hall walks July 1.

Boston: GM Don Sweeney’s trade-deadline acquisitions of Marcus Johansson and Charlie Coyle last season were quite impactful as the Bruins reached the Cup final. They have zero cap room this season, so making any trade of significance will be much harder. But with the Devils being willing, I believe, to eat part of Hall’s salary if they do trade him, I wonder how creative Sweeney can get if it means a chance at Hall, who would be quite the second-line luxury for the powerhouse Bruins but also make them less top-line reliant.

https://theathletic.com/1423963/2019/12/01/lebrun-what-options-do-the-devils-have-with-taylor-hall-and-who-could-swing-a-trade/?source=twittered

--

Also listed/discussed to much lesser degrees: Edmonton and San Jose.

The kind of places that he might like to re-sign at are not going to have the cap space or assets, and the kind of places that have cap space and assets are the kind of places he's not going to want to sign at. That dilemma points to a rental.

The kind of places that he might like to re-sign at are not going to have the cap space or assets, and the kind of places that have cap space and assets are the kind of places he's not going to want to sign at. That dilemma points to a rental.

Sean McIndoe put up a good claim on Puck Soup - acquire him under the premise of a bunch of conditions should he re-sign....and then make zero effort to re-sign him.