• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020 Cap Situation

BrooksBurner

No way Lindgren gets $4m for a year. Strome would have to do for a whole season what he has done for a quarter, which is far from certain, to get in the neighborhood of the kind of contract that you are talking about. Staal simply isn't going to be around next year. Ditto Smith. Andersson and Kratsov are not particularly likely to be on the roster next year.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way Lindgren gets $4m for a year. Strome would have to do for a whole season what he has done for a quarter, which is far from certain, to get in the neighborhood of the kind of contract that you are talking about. Staal simply isn't going to be around next year. Ditto Smith. Andersson and Kratsov are not particularly likely to be on the roster next year.
Strome has played 85 games as a Ranger and has 55 points. Aside from currently being a P/G player.

That's $5mil AAV territory.

And no reason to think he can't keep this up after the equivalent of a full season.

Mixed pronouns. I clarified that; DeAngelo's primary contract competition for 2021 is Lindgren, so DeAngelo might do well to bet on himself with the cap space coming up.

3x5 is perfectly reasonable for Strome. If he continues on this pace he could even ask for more.

I don't see a universe where ADA would take a 1 year deal. I mean he held out when he had zero leverage and had to eat shit in the end.

Pretty sure Hank's NMC says they can't expose him not that they would do that in a million years unless he requested it.

I don't see a universe where ADA would take a 1 year deal. I mean he held out when he had zero leverage and had to eat shit in the end.

Pretty sure Hank's NMC says they can't expose him not that they would do that in a million years unless he requested it.

That was my understanding as well. Capfriendly is a great resource but it does have its hiccups.

Only players with "effective and continuing" NMCs must be protected. According to Cap Friendly, Zib is the only player currently on NYR to whom that applies (list is from before Panarin signed). They do not have to protect Hank (or Staal if he is still around).

Only players with "effective and continuing" NMCs must be protected. According to Cap Friendly, Zib is the only player currently on NYR to whom that applies (list is from before Panarin signed). They do not have to protect Hank (or Staal if he is still around).

Panarin and Trouba have been signed this that was posted. They would also be protected

I'm still not sold on Strome. I still believe he lacks any kind of real high end skill. I certainly don't believe he's a PAG type. I'd like to re-sign him, but not as a top 6 guy.

Deangelo is the obvious wildcard. Reading the tea leaves, it does seem like he's the odd man out. I think he's currently making his detractors eat a lot of crow, if he puts up 65 or so points, I'm really curious as to what they could get for him. I really have no idea. I do wonder, however, what they could have locked him up for over the past summer. Seems like an obvious missed opportunity due to some serious cap mismanagement.

Though I'm fully prepared to move on from Deangelo, I would caution against reliance on kids to replace him. I would guess that at least one of Lundqvist or Miller don't work out exactly as we see it today. D men are tough to project.

If they could only bridge one more year they could be rid of most of the garbage and be free to do whatever they want with the current group.

I'm still not sold on Strome. I still believe he lacks any kind of real high end skill. I certainly don't believe he's a PAG type. I'd like to re-sign him, but not as a top 6 guy.

Deangelo is the obvious wildcard. Reading the tea leaves, it does seem like he's the odd man out. I think he's currently making his detractors eat a lot of crow, if he puts up 65 or so points, I'm really curious as to what they could get for him. I really have no idea. I do wonder, however, what they could have locked him up for over the past summer. Seems like an obvious missed opportunity due to some serious cap mismanagement.

Though I'm fully prepared to move on from Deangelo, I would caution against reliance on kids to replace him. I would guess that at least one of Lundqvist or Miller don't work out exactly as we see it today. D men are tough to project.

If they could only bridge one more year they could be rid of most of the garbage and be free to do whatever they want with the current group.

It seems to me that a lot of folks have their minds made up about AdA. But 60 + point d-men don't exactly grow on trees.

If he keeps this up and doesn't act like a prick for the next 6 months I'd imagine they'll have to think long and hard about what to do with him.

• Like 1

It seems to me that a lot of folks have their minds made up about AdA. But 60 + point d-men don't exactly grow on trees.

If he keeps this up and doesn't act like a prick for the next 6 months I'd imagine they'll have to think long and hard about what to do with him.

The money just doesn't work, if he's a 60 point D-Man. Are you ready to lock 15 million over the next 7-8 years to both Trouba and ADA? I'm not.

He should fetch a bundle on the market. DeAngelo brings a lot to the table, but Trouba isn't going anywhere (nor should he) and I believe Fox is a better overall player. You can't pay your 3rd RD the kind of money he'll be able to demand, UNLESS you think he can play his off hand on LD.

Long term?

DeAngelo/Trouba

Miller/Fox

Lindgren/Hajek, Lundkvist/Keane

Miller is the one I'm really not sold on at all.

Yeah, possibly. Penciled him in out of hype for what he's supposed to be, but honestly I could see Lindgren and Hajek both sticking long term. The bigger point to posting those combos is that it may be a matter of choosing between DeAngelo on his off hand or a guy like Skjei.