Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Flames Fire Bill Peters After Allegations of Racial Slurs

  1. #21
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,516
    Rep Power
    400
    Alright let's get this back on track.

  2. #22
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    88,013
    Rep Power
    492
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #23
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,977
    Rep Power
    107
    "Listening to n***** music"...but meant no disrespect. Yeah ok. Don't buy one bit of that apology to be honest.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,969
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    "Listening to n***** music"...but meant no disrespect. Yeah ok. Don't buy one bit of that apology to be honest.
    Also, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It was a mere coincidence, you know, just one of things that the guy I said it to happened to be black. I mean what are the chances!

  5. #25
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,962
    Rep Power
    583
    This is devil's advocate, and not that it condones the use of the word...

    But why is everyone so sure the context of the usage Peters calling rap music "n***** shit"?

    What if Aliu was playing music with excessive use of the word n***** and Peters said: "I don't want to heard that 'n****' shit anymore"?

    Would that change anything, if he was just tired of hearing that word...As the next quote possibly suggests? Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this 'n-----' s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

    Where you put the quotation marks here probably matters.

  6. #26
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,882
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is devil's advocate, and not that it condones the use of the word...

    But why is everyone so sure the context of the usage Peters calling rap music "n***** shit"?

    What if Aliu was playing music with excessive use of the word n***** and Peters said: "I don't want to heard that 'n****' shit anymore"?

    Would that change anything, if he was just tired of hearing that word...As the next quote possibly suggests? Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this 'n-----' s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

    Where you put the quotation marks here probably matters.
    Exactly how i understood it. I came across some of the hip hop music being listened to nowadays. Its no Tupac or Public Enemy. Its not even 2Live crew. I can see how Peters, a man of a different generation could get irritated

  7. #27
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,577
    Rep Power
    334
    Peter's seems like an asshole in general, so even if he gets the benefit of the doubt in this case, there's a lot of other stuff that adds up to trouble.

    I've heard this type of talk on the construction site that fits the situation Pete laid out, and nobody had a profound reaction, it was just banter. There could be all kinds of context we're not aware of, but just fire the guy and give him his money. He's not worth the trouble, he's a Babcock acolyte, I would bet there's plenty more ammo against him out there.

    What I don't like about the situation, coupled with the Marner and Don Cherry stuff, is the criticism it's invited towards the game as a whole. There's plenty of bugmen here that jump on this stuff like Heyenas because of the factors sorrounding hockey that they deem as unacceptable. It's too white and mysoginistic, essentially. This has given them plenty of ammo to slander a game they don't understand, and never liked from the get go and are jealous of its popularity here against other sports.

    There's nothing wrong with hockey, there's nothing wrong with hockey players.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,977
    Rep Power
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is devil's advocate, and not that it condones the use of the word...

    But why is everyone so sure the context of the usage Peters calling rap music "n***** shit"?

    What if Aliu was playing music with excessive use of the word n***** and Peters said: "I don't want to heard that 'n****' shit anymore"?

    Would that change anything, if he was just tired of hearing that word...As the next quote possibly suggests? Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this 'n-----' s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

    Where you put the quotation marks here probably matters.
    Fair point. Could be. There's also a difference between n***er and n***a, as much as everyone jokes about it. A hard er is no good lol

  9. #29
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,962
    Rep Power
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Peter's seems like an asshole in general, so even if he gets the benefit of the doubt in this case, there's a lot of other stuff that adds up to trouble.

    I've heard this type of talk on the construction site that fits the situation Pete laid out, and nobody had a profound reaction, it was just banter. There could be all kinds of context we're not aware of, but just fire the guy and give him his money. He's not worth the trouble, he's a Babcock acolyte, I would bet there's plenty more ammo against him out there.

    What I don't like about the situation, coupled with the Marner and Don Cherry stuff, is the criticism it's invited towards the game as a whole. There's plenty of bugmen here that jump on this stuff like Heyenas because of the factors sorrounding hockey that they deem as unacceptable. It's too white and mysoginistic, essentially. This has given them plenty of ammo to slander a game they don't understand, and never liked from the get go and are jealous of its popularity here against other sports.

    There's nothing wrong with hockey, there's nothing wrong with hockey players.
    Regarding the bold, I agree. He's done enough other shit to tarnish his rep. That said, there's legality around relieving him of his duties for shit that happened a decade ago in another organization. That's what's taking so long, I'm sure.

    The next bolded statement, I did hear a clip of a woman railing against hockey and saying just because she's from Canada doesn't mean she needs to like hockey, and yes...Basically called the hockey community white, racist and misogynist. I think it was on Chiclets, and they were quick to point out that it was OK for her to make blanket statements about the hockey community but if it were done to her community...pitchforks [that's me paraphrasing Chiclets].

  10. #30
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,310
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is devil's advocate, and not that it condones the use of the word...

    But why is everyone so sure the context of the usage Peters calling rap music "n***** shit"?

    What if Aliu was playing music with excessive use of the word n***** and Peters said: "I don't want to heard that 'n****' shit anymore"?

    Would that change anything, if he was just tired of hearing that word...As the next quote possibly suggests? Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this 'n-----' s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

    Where you put the quotation marks here probably matters.
    its obviously being implied that he was saying "turn off your 'n... shit "
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #31
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,310
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Peter's seems like an asshole in general, so even if he gets the benefit of the doubt in this case, there's a lot of other stuff that adds up to trouble.

    I've heard this type of talk on the construction site that fits the situation Pete laid out, and nobody had a profound reaction, it was just banter. There could be all kinds of context we're not aware of, but just fire the guy and give him his money. He's not worth the trouble, he's a Babcock acolyte, I would bet there's plenty more ammo against him out there.

    What I don't like about the situation, coupled with the Marner and Don Cherry stuff, is the criticism it's invited towards the game as a whole. There's plenty of bugmen here that jump on this stuff like Heyenas because of the factors sorrounding hockey that they deem as unacceptable. It's too white and mysoginistic, essentially. This has given them plenty of ammo to slander a game they don't understand, and never liked from the get go and are jealous of its popularity here against other sports.

    There's nothing wrong with hockey, there's nothing wrong with hockey players.
    in the US, at least, hockey is viewed as a rich white mans sport. If this happened to a team/coach currently in the US, I could only imagine what would be happening.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  12. #32
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,962
    Rep Power
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    its obviously being implied that he was saying "turn off your 'n... shit "
    That isn't what any of Aliu's quotes say.

  13. #33
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,577
    Rep Power
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    in the US, at least, hockey is viewed as a rich white mans sport. If this happened to a team/coach currently in the US, I could only imagine what would be happening.
    That's my view of the sport in the US, too. What is a Zac Aston-Reese? It sounds like he's just biding time until his grandfather dies and he gets 90 acres in Nantucket.

  14. #34
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    88,013
    Rep Power
    492
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #35
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    4,024
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This is devil's advocate, and not that it condones the use of the word...

    But why is everyone so sure the context of the usage Peters calling rap music "n***** shit"?

    What if Aliu was playing music with excessive use of the word n***** and Peters said: "I don't want to heard that 'n****' shit anymore"?

    Would that change anything, if he was just tired of hearing that word...As the next quote possibly suggests? Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this 'n-----' s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

    Where you put the quotation marks here probably matters.
    The "music" that's currently out there in the rap world is truly appalling. My son listens to it regularly and the N word is used a minimum of 20 times in every single song. That and the content which is all about burying their di*ks in some ho's orifices is generally all they talk about...oh and killing each other. But this is still all besides the point...he should be fired because he should have better control over the things coming out of his own mouth.

  16. #36
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78,962
    Rep Power
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The "music" that's currently out there in the rap world is truly appalling. My son listens to it regularly and the N word is used a minimum of 20 times in every single song. That and the content which is all about burying their di*ks in some ho's orifices is generally all they talk about...oh and killing each other. But this is still all besides the point...he should be fired because he should have better control over the things coming out of his own mouth.
    I don't think it really has anything to do with control but he resigned so it doesn't matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •