• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith On Kaapo Kakko

Phil

"I spend a lot of time with him because he lives out by me. I wouldn't call myself his personal chauffeur, but I pick him up a lot and make sure he gets to the rink on time. And the biggest thing with him is that it's a big adjustment. He's coming from Europe to North America. There's a smaller ice surface. The food is different. There's a lot of different things he has to adjust to. He's a diabetic and a celiac, so there's a lot of things he needs to be aware with, especially with food. But he's a very mature kid. What is he, 18? I forget that all the time. [He is, indeed, 18 and turns 19 in February.] He's got All-Star written all over him.

"The biggest thing is to make sure, as a team, we stay inclusive. He's very quiet. There's obviously a language barrier he's working on. I enjoy being around him, but I need him to talk more. I'm trying to break his shell, that's my job I guess. We've had a couple car rides where I think he just says 'good morning' to me and that's it. So I'm working on him, trying to ask him more things. I'm going to try to learn some Finnish, I think. The more comfortable he gets, the more skill and fantastic plays you'll see on the ice."

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/morning-line-brendan-smith-on-kaapo-kakko?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

This is cool. Rangers would do well to get another Finnish player in here though. Must be a tough transition when you don't know the language at all.

There are so few of them, is the problem. They tried for Komarov (who speaks it).

We know they're in — however tacitly — on Pajamas out of Edmonton, too, but he's staying there the entire year.

I guess they could trade for 36-year-old Mikko Koivu?

I'd see if buying low on Mikael Granlund is a possibility. He's been struggling to have the same success in Nashville that he had in Minnesota. They have an overabundance of Cs and have forced some to the wing or purgatory in Turris' case. Biggest issue is that he's a soon-to-be UFA so keeping him and finding him a long-term place in the lineup would be tough.

He's based out of Europe. What are they gonna do ? force him to move here and live with Kakko?
The Blueshirts, The Post has learned, summoned development coach Tuomo Ruutu from his native Finland to New York so he could spend time with his fellow countryman. Ruutu, a 12-year NHL veteran who retired following 2015-16, spent five days last week with the second-overall draft pick. He had been monitoring and interacting with drafted prospects playing in Europe.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/31/rangers-enlist-fellow-finn-to-boost-kaapo-kakkos-spirits/

##

I'm asking what happened to him...

The Blueshirts, The Post has learned, summoned development coach Tuomo Ruutu from his native Finland to New York so he could spend time with his fellow countryman. Ruutu, a 12-year NHL veteran who retired following 2015-16, spent five days last week with the second-overall draft pick. He had been monitoring and interacting with drafted prospects playing in Europe.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/31/rangers-enlist-fellow-finn-to-boost-kaapo-kakkos-spirits/

##

I'm asking what happened to him...

He went home? My guess is he came in because Kakko was basically depressed (he had the worst plus-minus in the league at that point, and wasn't scoring), and then went back.

I'd see if buying low on Mikael Granlund is a possibility. He's been struggling to have the same success in Nashville that he had in Minnesota. They have an overabundance of Cs and have forced some to the wing or purgatory in Turris' case. Biggest issue is that he's a soon-to-be UFA so keeping him and finding him a long-term place in the lineup would be tough.

Granlund is intriguing to me as a buy-low. His game has disappeared in Nashville, and he has great puck distribution skills and hockey instincts.