Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leafs Fire Babcock; Name Sheldon Keefe New Head Coach

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    If Keenan and Trots got four or five chances each, Babcock has a few more coming.

Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Don't be shocked if he lands in Seattle.....
    ‪#‎QuitforQuinton‬

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa View Post
    Don't be shocked if he lands in Seattle.....
    Could make sense.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Fucked up Story just came out about how Babcock apparently had then rookie Marner list all the players on the team from most hard-working to least hard-working. Marner did the task assuming it was private. Babcock then read the list to the team. I assume the players hated him from that day on.
    GORTON 2020

//reported Junior Division
    Link? Source?
    #imthebadguy

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...-keefe-at-helm

One tale was related to us in the past few days that is said to have occurred in the 2016-17 season, during the annual fathers trip.

Babcock was alleged to have asked one of the Leafs’ rookies to list the players on the team from hardest-working to those who, in the eyes of the rookie, didn’t have a strong work ethic. The rookie did so, not wanting to upset his coach, but was taken aback when Babcock told the players who had been listed at the bottom.
    I had a coach that did this kind of shit. He even looked like Babcock which is weird. That said, I fucking hated that guy and played some of my worst hockey under him. Some guys played well, and our team was pretty good and got great results, but that guy about ruined the game for me personally. I hate reading about shit like this. Brings back Nam flashbacks.
    Last edited by ThirtyONE; 11-24-2019 at 11:30 PM.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Midget Division
    The Keenan/Babcock style of coaching is going the way of the dodo. No one finds value in that style of coaching, where you treat someone like garbage to break them down, and then build them back up again. It’s antiquated, and rightfully so.

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Yeah, it just doesn't seem to be very effective in today's NHL.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yeah, it just doesn't seem to be very effective in today's NHL.
    You could argue it was never effective and teams won in spite of their coach. I know the Rangers HATED Mike Keenan and it really became Messier's team over the course of the season. Someone like John Tortorella I think is demanding of his players, but I've never heard of him being manipulative like this. There's a line, IMO.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    You could argue it was never effective and teams won in spite of their coach. I know the Rangers HATED Mike Keenan and it really became Messier's team over the course of the season.
    I think when you listen to the 94 team talk, it's clear they hated him and disagreed with how he ran the ship. But many of them give him a lot of credit as well. For developing the mindset it took to win, from demanding more from them than anyone had ever done and from establishing the us against him mentality that drove the team on. From all the shit he pulled midgame, he also made some excellent moves, like for instance moving Kovalev to the Messier line in that game against the Devils. Richter and Messier credits him with incredible team talks before the 2nd overtime in game 7 against the Devs and before game 7 of the SC final.

It's a bit pointless because we never know, but I always felt he had a big part in that win even if he was a total cock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12