• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Leafs Fire Babcock; Name Sheldon Keefe New Head Coach

phillyb

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/reinvigorated-leafs-eager-to-keep-pushing-forward-with-keefe-at-helm

One tale was related to us in the past few days that is said to have occurred in the 2016-17 season, during the annual fathers trip.

Babcock was alleged to have asked one of the Leafs’ rookies to list the players on the team from hardest-working to those who, in the eyes of the rookie, didn’t have a strong work ethic. The rookie did so, not wanting to upset his coach, but was taken aback when Babcock told the players who had been listed at the bottom.

I had a coach that did this kind of shit. He even looked like Babcock which is weird. That said, I fucking hated that guy and played some of my worst hockey under him. Some guys played well, and our team was pretty good and got great results, but that guy about ruined the game for me personally. I hate reading about shit like this. Brings back Nam flashbacks.

The Keenan/Babcock style of coaching is going the way of the dodo. No one finds value in that style of coaching, where you treat someone like garbage to break them down, and then build them back up again. It’s antiquated, and rightfully so.

Yeah, it just doesn't seem to be very effective in today's NHL.

You could argue it was never effective and teams won in spite of their coach. I know the Rangers HATED Mike Keenan and it really became Messier's team over the course of the season. Someone like John Tortorella I think is demanding of his players, but I've never heard of him being manipulative like this. There's a line, IMO.

You could argue it was never effective and teams won in spite of their coach. I know the Rangers HATED Mike Keenan and it really became Messier's team over the course of the season.

I think when you listen to the 94 team talk, it's clear they hated him and disagreed with how he ran the ship. But many of them give him a lot of credit as well. For developing the mindset it took to win, from demanding more from them than anyone had ever done and from establishing the us against him mentality that drove the team on. From all the shit he pulled midgame, he also made some excellent moves, like for instance moving Kovalev to the Messier line in that game against the Devils. Richter and Messier credits him with incredible team talks before the 2nd overtime in game 7 against the Devs and before game 7 of the SC final.

It's a bit pointless because we never know, but I always felt he had a big part in that win even if he was a total cock.