Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Cost of Living and Taxes

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    how about retiring after 20 (?) years of service with a full pension? correct me if im wrong. that's a pretty good benefit, isn't it?
    Teachers have pensions.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    That pension tier doesn’t exist anymore. Hasn’t since 2009.

Now it’s 25 years, with a mandated social security draw at 62 which cuts your pension significantly. Adding money to your pension through contributing to various high interest savings funds are out too. It’s not what it once was, not by a long shot. Atleast the NYPD. Surrounding jurisdictions still have 20 and out. And their base pay is on average 30k higher than ours as well.
    Serious question then - if everywhere else has better pay, faster outs, better pensions, better benefits, etc - why are you still working for the NYPD then? Shouldn't the free market take control here and you should take your employment talents to a better situation?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Serious question then - if everywhere else has better pay, faster outs, better pensions, better benefits, etc - why are you still working for the NYPD then? Shouldn't the free market take control here and you should take your employment talents to a better situation?
    Don't know Niko's exact situation, but judging from his earlier post about his duties it sounds like he's promote a time or two. Once you start to promote you're kinda stuck. You go to a new department and you're back to the bottom of the totem pole. Generally the only public recruitments are officer and chief, everything in between is internal promotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Don't know Niko's exact situation, but judging from his earlier post about his duties it sounds like he's promote a time or two. Once you start to promote you're kinda stuck. You go to a new department and you're back to the bottom of the totem pole. Generally the only public recruitments are officer and chief, everything in between is internal promotions.
    Well, the Nassau Suffolk Job’s are a literal lottery. You have to pass the test (usually over 100k applicants), score in the top 1%, then pass the physical and THEN win a lottery to get hired. They also only hire in batches every couple of years. It’s not easy to get into.

I was processing for the MTA PD. They make way more, but the 7 year pay scale would have brought me back to rookie salary and my wife was pregnant. I wouldn’t have been able to pay my mortgage and afford to live on 40k a year while supporting a pregnant wife going they a difficult pregnancy, while having zero seniority at work (meaning grave yard shift again, no vacation dates, inability to take off if my wife needed me, etc.)

I waffle only leaving the NYPD all the time. But I’m in a decent spot now, so I’m considering going to law school when my kid gets a bit older and my office would be very supportive of that. I also have 8 years on. Once you hit 10, you can take a vested retirement with a tiny pension, but you get to keep the health insurance. I’d be a fool to leave before I get to that point in 2 years.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Because other departments are smaller, it’s harder to get into. Even as a cop, you have to still take the test, pass the physical part, pass the interviews and hope you get to be one of the 30 out of 10,000 people vying for the spot. Also, NYPD offers more specialty units than other departments.i wish I could have gotten into Nassau or Suffolk, but I never got the call. And now I’m in a unit that I could never get into in those departments because they don’t do what we do in the NYPD.

Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Once you hit around 8 years it doesn’t pay to move. I have 2 years left before I can leave, thankfully, so I just stuck it out. I’m in a unit, I do fingerprints and dna at crime scenes, been doing it for 14 years. If I left, I wouldn’t be able to do it because a lot of other departments higher non-PD people to do it.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect

Cost of Living and Taxes

Guys moves out to Pennsyltucky. The new housing development I live in needs more Rangers fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    how about retiring after 20 (?) years of service with a full pension? correct me if im wrong. that's a pretty good benefit, isn't it?
    It’s not a perk, it’s negotiated in the contract. I only have to do 20 years, but I also don’t get COLA where the new hires have to do 25 years and get COLA. Most city agencies have that. FDNY, NYCHA, Emergency Management and I think even Sanitation does. Teachers can retire as soon as they turn 55. They can retire in the middle of the school year if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Guys moves out to Pennsyltucky. The new housing development I live in needs more Rangers fans.

Too much snow for me, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post

Rather pay the taxes.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

//reported Junior Division
    Living in PA has its fine moments. Depends on where. State controlled liquor though, might as well shoot me.
    #imthebadguy

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Rather pay the taxes.
    Have you seen the new Dave Chappel? I feel like I have the same mentality when responding to your posts, this week.

“We’ve been telling you for years!... now, shut the fuck up.”
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Rather pay the taxes.
    I don’t even live that far from NYC, but I miss ethnic take out. I can’t imagine living in Pennsyl-tucky, lol.

Long Island is great for burgers, pizza and Italian food.

But thai, Indian, Americanized Chinese take out, sushi, etc.? Hard to come by decent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    I don’t even live that far from NYC, but I miss ethnic take out. I can’t imagine living in Pennsyl-tucky, lol.

Long Island is great for burgers, pizza and Italian food.

But thai, Indian, Americanized Chinese take out, sushi, etc.? Hard to come by decent stuff.
    There are good pockets here and there in other cities. Not in Pennsyltucky. I mean, we've got solid enough American Chinese, real good sushi, and kickass Vietnamese here.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Have you seen the new Dave Chappel? I feel like I have the same mentality when responding to your posts, this week.

“We’ve been telling you for years!... now, shut the fuck up.”
    I haven't, but I stand by my statement that I'd rather be overtaxed than live in Pennsyltucky.
    Hidden Content

Rather pay the taxes.
    Lol!

I would never move back to Long Island. If I was forced to move within 30 or so miles of NYC I’d go out toward Pete in Springfield/Madison area and pay taxes out the assssssssssssss.

Got some good deli’s out that way too. Man do I miss a good deli.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789