• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sergei Zubov Being Inducted to the Hall of Fame

phillyb

"I think I'm going to start it with introducing myself to the NHL media," Zubov said.

One of the NHL's most productive offensive defensemen during his 16 seasons with the New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins and Dallas Stars, Zubov preferred playing to talking to reporters.

"Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of it," he said. "Still not."

Zubov laughed when he said that, acknowledging the spotlight he avoided for so long will be on him when he, former Stars teammate Guy Carbonneau, Vaclav Nedomansky, Hayley Wickenheiser, Jim Rutherford and Jerry York are inducted into the Hall of Fame on Monday.

https://www.nhl.com/news/sergei-zubov-hockey-hall-of-fame-class-of-2019/c-311259216?tid=283496592

Hated the trade then as much as I do now. Total over reaction to one playoff series. Robitaille was clearly a Smyth Division phenomena and hadn't excelled in Pittsburgh. The notion that Bruce Driver could replace him on the PP was ludicrous. And don't forget that Nedved was a damn good player as well. Deal probably cost us a second cup, but Western Canadian lug head Colin Campbell was no cup winning coach, I suppose.

Hated the trade then as much as I do now. Total over reaction to one playoff series. Robitaille was clearly a Smyth Division phenomena and hadn't excelled in Pittsburgh. The notion that Bruce Driver could replace him on the PP was ludicrous. And don't forget that Nedved was a damn good player as well. Deal probably cost us a second cup, but Western Canadian lug head Colin Campbell was no cup winning coach, I suppose.

I was young when Zubov was dealt. Maybe 10. I vaguely recall one of the reasons for the deal being that Messier didn’t like him. Any truth to that?