• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Morgan Barron, Zachary Jones Leading NCAA in Multiple Scoring Categories

Phil

Barron is going to wind up a solid 3C and could possibly ramp up to 2C.

Impossible to say right now if the offense is the product of just being a giant.

Yeah, I have the same concern. He's a physical specimen, that will be mitigated the instant he turns pro.

Barron is going to wind up a solid 3C and could possibly ramp up to 2C.

Impossible to say right now if the offense is the product of just being a giant.

Yeah, I have the same concern. He's a physical specimen, that will be mitigated the instant he turns pro.

It's not like he's 6'6" Tim Gettinger. Barron is 6'3". There's probably 6 or more dude's on every team they play that are over 6'2". Yale had 6, Brown had 9, Michigan State had 7. Next 2 games are Clarkson with only five, but 2 D at 6'4' and one at 6'7". and St. Lawrence with 8 (and one of those dudes is 6'8"). I don't think its a size factor thing.

It's not like he's 6'6" Tim Gettinger. Barron is 6'3". There's probably 6 or more dude's on every team they play that are over 6'2". Yale had 6, Brown had 9, Michigan State had 7. Next 2 games are Clarkson with only five, but 2 D at 6'4' and one at 6'7". and St. Lawrence with 8 (and one of those dudes is 6'8"). I don't think its a size factor thing.
How many of them are playing at 220 and can skate?

There's size in that Conf, obviously as you have well demonstrated, but it's not a good Conference in terms of talent. You have to pay to play hockey in this Conference. You can tell going through the rosters, these are secondary recruits. Lots of second tier NAHL guys, second tier BCHL guys and lots from lower junior leagues. St. Lawrence has guys that came from the CCHL. That's a SUNY level feeder league.

I'm not bashing it, it's my favourite Conference in the NCAA, but besides some outliers, they don't attract the premium recruits.

Schafer started them against Mighigan St in a back to back, that sounds good but Michigan State has been in shambles for years. I want to see Barron against BC or somebody at that level. Not that ECAC teams are bad, (They look older roster wise) they just lack that real high-end factor on the whole.

There's size in that Conf, obviously as you have well demonstrated, but it's not a good Conference in terms of talent. You have to pay to play hockey in this Conference. You can tell going through the rosters, these are secondary recruits. Lots of second tier NAHL guys, second tier BCHL guys and lots from lower junior leagues. St. Lawrence has guys that came from the CCHL. That's a SUNY level feeder league.

I'm not bashing it, it's my favourite Conference in the NCAA, but besides some outliers, they don't attract the premium recruits.

Schafer started them against Mighigan St in a back to back, that sounds good but Michigan State has been in shambles for years. I want to see Barron against BC or somebody at that level. Not that ECAC teams are bad, (They look older roster wise) they just lack that real high-end factor on the whole.

Agree. Not much has changed since Hugh Jessiman.

Agreed with all of this.

Just not the same talent and drive as two other conferences

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I have seen some say that Barron is bigger than 6'3 now, or at least looks it. Game reminds me of Blake Wheeler in college. I think he'll be a solid bottom 6 to start with for us with a ceiling for more. Zac Jones just seems to be a stud. Next year in NCAA and then probably turns pro. Another reason there's no sense in keeping Brady Skjei around much longer.

And yet there was a time where Skjei was the end all be all and there was no reason to keep McDonagh ... or was it Staal?

point being you don't trade NHL guys because you MIGHT have a guy in college.

The guy in college isn't the whole reason though. Keeping DeAngelo is the reason, then the guy in college takes Skjei's spot. Point is Skjei is nothing special and gets paid a lot. Good LD's in the organization right now are Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, K'Andre, and Jones. The question is, who would you rather be paying over $5 mil a year to? Skjei or DeAngelo. Whichever one leaves will be replaced by organizational depth, which is deep on either side on D.

The guy in college isn't the whole reason though. Keeping DeAngelo is the reason, then the guy in college takes Skjei's spot. Point is Skjei is nothing special and gets paid a lot. Good LD's in the organization right now are Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov, K'Andre, and Jones. The question is, who would you rather be paying over $5 mil a year to? Skjei or DeAngelo. Whichever one leaves will be replaced by organizational depth, which is deep on either side on D.
Don't forget Matthew Robertson, also on the left side and probably roughly the same development timeline as Jones.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I see.

Skjei is pretty bad but still an NHLer. He most likely get exposed in the expansion draft and you likely lose Staal when his contract ends.

That's a pretty young left side at a time you're supposed to be competing.

I'd also like to see the depth pan out before we decide who's moving where.

• 2 weeks later...

Pronman ranked some of the risers from the 2019 draft:

?Zachary Jones, D, New York Rangers

Drafted: No. 68 overall

Jones has been great as a freshman for UMass, as a top defenseman for one of the better teams in the country. Jones had a great junior year last season, showing great skill and offensive creativity and vision. But one criticism from scouts was his average skating ability as a small defenseman. I saw that last season, but watching him this season his skating looks like an asset. He?s able to evade pressure, can close on checks and has the straight-line speed to lead a rush.?

https://theathletic.com/1398311/2019/11/25/pronman-biggest-risers-from-the-2019-nhl-draft/?source=shared-article

Pronman ranked some of the risers from the 2019 draft:

“Zachary Jones, D, New York Rangers

Drafted: No. 68 overall

Jones has been great as a freshman for UMass, as a top defenseman for one of the better teams in the country. Jones had a great junior year last season, showing great skill and offensive creativity and vision. But one criticism from scouts was his average skating ability as a small defenseman. I saw that last season, but watching him this season his skating looks like an asset. He’s able to evade pressure, can close on checks and has the straight-line speed to lead a rush.”

https://theathletic.com/1398311/2019/11/25/pronman-biggest-risers-from-the-2019-nhl-draft/?source=shared-article

This sounds like and Adam Fox description.