• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Overtime in the NHL: the Idea, the Format, the Circus Sideshow

Ozzy

Only 15% of OT games get to the shootout. If you increase the 3x3 time, that would drop even more. So far no teams we know have conspired to screw around with the loser point to mess with the point standings.Would be very hard to do anyway. Still the loser point makes OT games worth 50% more than regulation games; that makes no sense. In effect penalizes teams that win games in regulation.

It doesn't penalize a team for winning in regulation. The winner gets 2 points regardless. It rewards the losing team for not losing in regulation. With that said, I am also not in favor of the current points setup. Either make it 3 points for regulation wins or just give the loser 0 no matter what.

It doesn't penalize a team for winning in regulation. The winner gets 2 points regardless. It rewards the losing team for not losing in regulation. With that said, I am also not in favor of the current points setup. Either make it 3 points for regulation wins or just give the loser 0 no matter what.

Agree. 2 points no matter how you win, 0 points no matter how you lose.

Want to keep ties? Cool. Award 0 points for a tie and watch the last 3 mins of regulation look like a playoff game. No one can afford to leave points on the table. Everyone will go for it.

Agree. 2 points no matter how you win, 0 points no matter how you lose.

Want to keep ties? Cool. Award 0 points for a tie and watch the last 3 mins of regulation look like a playoff game. No one can afford to leave points on the table. Everyone will go for it.

Exactly. I prefer that over the 3-2-1-0 point scheme. The league wants parity though so they're not gonna do something to cause less parity, even if its really artificial parity.

One thing I hate is the way the current point awards and record keeping distorts the reality of what is going on on the ice and masks the problem of profligate regulations ties. For example, I heard someone on NHL Tonight talking about what good start the Flyers are off to. Thei record is 10-5-3, so that seems reasonable. But wait, their record in regulation is 6-5-7. Six wins in 18 games and more ties than either wins or loses. Everyone was talking about Tampa being a "record setting team" last year. But take away the loser points and weird accounting, and their record wasn't even in the top 25 all time in regulation! In the 70s, there were many years when three or four teams had better records than Tampa's in one season!

One thing I hate is the way the current point awards and record keeping distorts the reality of what is going on on the ice and masks the problem of profligate regulations ties. For example, I heard someone on NHL Tonight talking about what good start the Flyers are off to. Their record is 10-5-3, so that seems reasonable. But wait, their record in regulation is 6-5-7. Six wins in 18 games and more ties than either wins or loses. Everyone was talking about Tampa being a "record setting team" last year. But take away the loser points and weird accounting, and their record wasn't even in the top 25 all time in regulation! In the 70s, there were many years when three or four teams had better records than Tampa's in one season!

It just seems like a "Participation Trophy" type system...which just doesn't sit well with me, Sod.

The old system worked better in my opinion. A tie never bothered me....even a 0-0 tie back in the day, was a pretty hard fought battle.

I actually went to a 0-0 tie back in the 80's...I think it was either Pittsburgh or Philly, and Vadnais even had a stick for a 0-0 game :rofl:

It was a pretty good nail biter if I remember right.

Losers point needs to go. At least under current format

It muddies the water so much.

The year the Kings won their first Cup, they were on the losing side of the ledger more than the winning side.

40-27-15

...and I wonder how many of those 40 wins were in a shootout!