• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha, thanks for the stats.

I think what we're more likely to see when Zib returns is:

Kreider Zib Kakko/Buch

Panarin Strome Fast

Lemiex Chytil Buchnevich/Kakko

Smith Howden McKegg

Third line problem, solved.

I like these lines. There's pretty good scoring depth here in the top 9. I'd like to see Chytil and Kakko get some time together.

He was an elite 15 yeard old, maybe?

His draft year was actually incredibly strong. 21 points in the SHL in your draft year is pretty much a guarantee for the first round and definitely top 20. Elias Lindholm went 5th overall in 2013 with 30 points in 48 games. Everything following Lias' draft year has been an issue.

His draft year was actually incredibly strong. 21 points in the SHL in your draft year is pretty much a guarantee for the first round and definitely top 20. Elias Lindholm went 5th overall in 2013 with 30 points in 48 games. Everything following Lias' draft year has been an issue.
What did Lindholm do before and after his draft year?

What did Lindholm do before and after his draft year?

49 points in 36 J20 games in his D-1. 21 points in 58 NHL games in his D+1. For comparison, Andersson had 59 points in 37 J20 games in his D-1. Andersson had the makings of a top 10 pick. That's pretty much unquestionable. He's one of the highest-scoring players eligible for draft out of the SHL. Lindholm and Dahlin, by a game, are the only players to outproduce him in a draft year recently.

The issue is was he really just a kid who knew how to dominate younger competition? His success in the SHL indicates otherwise but his play in the NHL and even AHL demonstrates that he doesn't quite know how to successfully translate whatever skills he had.

49 points in 36 J20 games in his D-1. 21 points in 58 NHL games in his D+1. For comparison, Andersson had 59 points in 37 J20 games in his D-1. Andersson had the makings of a top 10 pick. That's pretty much unquestionable. He's one of the highest-scoring players eligible for draft out of the SHL. Lindholm and Dahlin, by a game, are the only players to outproduce him in a draft year recently.

Maybe his birth year was just bad for hockey LOL

What potential does he have? He was never a big time scorer, anywhere or in in any tournament, to my knowledge.

What should he be excelling at? Average speed, average shot, average playmaking ability ... All at the time of the draft.

Why is it on DQ? He's playing alllllll the kids in key situations and the only one who isn't is in Russia because we flat out wasn't ready.

If you want to question Howden over Andersson that's fine, but all you're really doing is complaining that DQ isn't playing the kids YOU want him to play... That's not the same. Neither one of these guys are great, but at least you know Howden was in the game. Andersson doesn't know what color the puck is because he doesn't touch it.

What I want to know is, where's the pissed off kid that threw the medal (minus the immaturity)? Where's the kid who shows some fight when he's losing? Maybe that's what DQ is waiting for, and not the shell who glides around aimlessly not moving his feet. Watch the 4th line closely. He's literally the only one not skating. And if the reply is "well I wouldn't skate either if I was with 4th line scrubs" then my answer is that HE is currently a 4th line scrub.

He shouldn't be traded because he's a young, cost controlled bottom 6 player. Those are the "danger zone" contracts where you typically overpay. No need to move him. He's a fine 4th line center.

This is correct.

Lias looks more like a plugger than a playmaker, a grunt rather than a goal scorer, and an average rather than elite talent. Doesn’t mean he’s not an NHLer but the longer he goes down this path as a player, the lower his value is and more cemented of his nhl role becomes.

Lias looks more like a plugger than a playmaker, a grunt rather than a goal scorer, and an average rather than elite talent. Doesn’t mean he’s not an NHLer but the longer he goes down this path as a player, the lower his value is and more cemented of his nhl role becomes.

Not every player is a superstar. As the days go by, Lias drifts further and further away from that title -- A title which he never had in the first place. When he was drafted everyone said he was a 3rd line center man, 2nd if he exceeded expectations. At 20 years old, I'd say he still has a good chance of hitting that ceiling.

We have Kakko, we have Chytil, we have Fox. We have Panarin, we have Mika, we have enough players that can fulfill that potential so that Lias doesn't have to be anything he's not. He doesn't need to be traded. He can just be what he is: a decent, cost controlled, bottom 6 player. Teams need those too.

What potential does he have? He was never a big time scorer, anywhere or in in any tournament, to my knowledge.

What should he be excelling at? Average speed, average shot, average playmaking ability ... All at the time of the draft.

Why is it on DQ? He's playing alllllll the kids in key situations and the only one who isn't is in Russia because we flat out wasn't ready.

If you want to question Howden over Andersson that's fine, but all you're really doing is complaining that DQ isn't playing the kids YOU want him to play... That's not the same. Neither one of these guys are great, but at least you know Howden was in the game. Andersson doesn't know what color the puck is because he doesn't touch it.

What I want to know is, where's the pissed off kid that threw the medal (minus the immaturity)? Where's the kid who shows some fight when he's losing? Maybe that's what DQ is waiting for, and not the shell who glides around aimlessly not moving his feet. Watch the 4th line closely. He's literally the only one not skating. And if the reply is "well I wouldn't skate either if I was with 4th line scrubs" then my answer is that HE is currently a 4th line scrub.

He shouldn't be traded because he's a young, cost controlled bottom 6 player. Those are the "danger zone" contracts where you typically overpay. No need to move him. He's a fine 4th line center.

Not sure why you quoted my post for that.

I haven’t criticised anything or anyone. I merely stated it seems obvious they don’t rate him as a high end prospect any longer, and if there’s value in the trade market they should have the pragmatism to explore it. A change of scenery trade for another young player who hasn’t panned out as expected seems ideal.

Does anyone get the feeling that if we move Andersson that all of a sudden he'll become a star with another team? I don't. I haven't seen anything that makes me think he's anything other than Oscar Lindstrom.

My question is, so what? He's a 4th liner. Great. We need one of those.

Not every player is a superstar. As the days go by, Lias drifts further and further away from that title -- A title which he never had in the first place. When he was drafted everyone said he was a 3rd line center man, 2nd if he exceeded expectations. At 20 years old, I'd say he still has a good chance of hitting that ceiling.

We have Kakko, we have Chytil, we have Fox. We have Panarin, we have Mika, we have enough players that can fulfill that potential so that Lias doesn't have to be anything he's not. He doesn't need to be traded. He can just be what he is: a decent, cost controlled, bottom 6 player. Teams need those too.

Well I never said every player is going to be a superstar. Didn’t say that at all. Just saying, 7th overall, I’m assuming the Rangers are looking for an impact player, not a 4th liner. Does he need to be traded? Nope. Not at all. However the longer he toils, the less chance he has to be anything but a 4th liner and from what I remember, they drafted Lias hoping he would be a Drury type two way player with an impact on his team. He’s awfully young though right now so there still is time

You reacted to the "dilemma" in the headline — something Brooks doesn't write, and a word that doesn't even appear in his actual column.

Gotcha. I thought that’s what you meant, but wasn’t sure.

Yes I get that

That’s why I spaced it

I reacted to dilemma because there really isn’t one at this point. They aren’t encouraged by the return on him thus far, but I think they’re a long way away from writing him off.

I think Brooks is ok. But the Post is a rag and these types of stories are typical of them.

He’s 60 games into his career. On a team that is not in win now circumstances

They can afford to be patient

And the notion that they should trade Andersson for Puljujarvi or that Edmonton would do that deal straight up is at least a little ridiculous to me.

He's still got some value, outside of this forum, due to his high draft position I would imagine. Someone will take a chance on him as a change of scenery type player. 4th line center? We already have Howden.

This presumes, arguably wrongly, that Andersson is resigned to this as fact. I'm pretty sure he has higher aspirations, even if they never come to fruition.

If Chytil was taken 7th and Anderson taken 21st I dont think we'd have a problem. No one taken after Anderson has shown much either. 20/20 hindsight maybe the Rangers would have taken Cal Foote or Brannstrom to begin the process of depth on D.

That’s exactly right.

And it doesn't matter because that's not what happened. We could have had a better player + Chytil.

This presumes, arguably wrongly, that Andersson is resigned to this as fact. I'm pretty sure he has higher aspirations, even if they never come to fruition.

I think both the team and Lias expect more than that lol. I think we can all agree that they didn’t draft him thinking they have a top flight inexpensive 4th liner.

Not sure why you quoted my post for that.

I haven?t criticised anything or anyone. I merely stated it seems obvious they don?t rate him as a high end prospect any longer, and if there?s value in the trade market they should have the pragmatism to explore it. A change of scenery trade for another young player who hasn?t panned out as expected seems ideal.

Fat thumbs.