• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

And it doesn't matter because that's not what happened. We could have had a better player + Chytil.

It’s already been established that they could’ve picked a better player.

That didn’t happen either

They reached on him. Everyone knows it. It was known at the time.

Point is we have the player. Let him play and we’ll see what happens.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This presumes, arguably wrongly, that Andersson is resigned to this as fact. I'm pretty sure he has higher aspirations, even if they never come to fruition.

I’m not saying Anderson is fine with it. He probably hates it. All I’m saying is that the Rangers need a cheep 4th liner who kills penalties snd that’s what Anderson’s role is at the moment.

Both the Rangers and Anderson hope he becomes more but trading him only creates a hole. Not everyone is a superstar. Brooks asserting that he's somehow getting worse by playing 4th line is incorrect.

I’m not saying Anderson is fine with it. He probably hates it. All I’m saying is that the Rangers need a cheep 4th liner who kills penalties snd that’s what Anderson’s role is at the moment.

Both the Rangers and Anderson hope he becomes more but trading him only creates a hole. Not everyone is a superstar.

I don't disagree with the latter, but it requires buy-in, which they may not have from Andersson if he still thinks he has more to offer. Hence, a trade.

Well I never said every player is going to be a superstar. Didn’t say that at all. Just saying, 7th overall, I’m assuming the Rangers are looking for an impact player, not a 4th liner. Does he need to be traded? Nope. Not at all. However the longer he toils, the less chance he has to be anything but a 4th liner and from what I remember, they drafted Lias hoping he would be a Drury type two way player with an impact on his team. He’s awfully young though right now so there still is time

I just quoted you as a way into the conversation. :)

I don't disagree with the latter, but it requires buy-in, which they may not have from Andersson if he still thinks he has more to offer. Hence, a trade.

Well if social media means anything, he seems to love NY and Mika has taken him under his wing. I suspect he wants to work his way up here, not another city. I haven't seen anything on the ice that suggests he's frustrated or "not buying in."

And it doesn't matter because that's not what happened. We could have had a better player + Chytil.

Who is better than Lias Anderson that was drafted after him? Middlestadt, who is marginally better? There isnt one player that was drafted after Lias Anderson that we're like Fuck we should have drafted X player instead of Anderson like the Rangers had with Hugh Jessiman.

Who is better than Lias Anderson that was drafted after him? Middlestadt, who is marginally better? There isnt one player that was drafted after Lias Anderson that we're like Fuck we should have drafted X player instead of Anderson like the Rangers had with Hugh Jessiman.

Can Andersson be replaced with a veteran plug that will do the job better now? Do the job better in the future? If so, you'd trade Andersson at his peak value. The rest of the draft doesnt change his value. Continuing to play on the 4th line, putting up no points will hurt his value.

I don't have a vendetta against anyone. Andersson sucks. So does Howden. I've said that before. He sucks independent of what I think. The fact is he is bad, the result is I say "he sucks".

I've also said when two players suck and one gets more ice time, we've got to assume one is doing something to distinguish himself and the other isn't.

That said, there's no reason to take names out of it, but if you wanted to... What change would be expected from swapping 2 shitty players?

This is another reason rebuilding in NY is challenging. Fans think players should be gifted roles based on draft position. Happened with Kravtsov, too, also largely underwhelming...but he should get a spot because talent/9th pick.

The most important reason rebuilding in NY is challenging is actually exemplified almost to a tee in this thread. NY fans give up on young players very quickly.

No need to trade Lias in my eyes. He's signed to an ELC and we really have no idea what he's going to be. I say give him the time and let's see what he turns into. There are other trade options we have...I'd go with those first before we trade away a player we have no clue as to what he's going to be yet.

You never know with players like this....sometimes they just blossom later.

Marchand, even though he scored over 20 goals a few times in his earlier years, didn't break 60 points until his 7th season...now he's a beast!

Perhaps quite a few now. Always takes a bit to sort out.

Middlestat

Necas

Thomas

Comtois

Players like Suzuki, and some others looks to have developed more and surpassing him

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I still think part of the issue is they never really let him dominate the A. No saying he ever would have but the short stints he had in Hartford were just fine. He scored on a few low skill plays and picked up some secondary assists. He should have had time there to see if he could develop any sort of other gear. The Rangers have just been insistent on having him up in the NHL the past two seasons. This season should've been his first real crack at it.

3 years is quickly?

No, but saying 3 years is disingenuous. In 2017 he had less than a half season's worth of AHL/NHL games, with only 7 NHL games at the end of the season. Last year was really his first full year of NA hockey. This year, of course, is only 15 games in. So you say 3 years, but in actuality it's more like a season and a half.

No, but saying 3 years is disingenuous. In 2017 he had less than a half season's worth of AHL/NHL games, with only 7 NHL games at the end of the season. Last year was really his first full year of NA hockey. This year, of course, is only 15 games in. So you say 3 years, but in actuality it's more like a season and a half.
It's 3 years post draft and he's done nothing to justify his draft position and pretty much not developed at all.

But...OK... we can shell Howden and talk about how bad he sucks, but not Andersson? I don't get it...

It's 3 years post draft and he's done nothing to justify his draft position and pretty much not developed at all.

But...OK... we can shell Howden and talk about how bad he sucks, but not Andersson? I don't get it...

IMO, we shouldn't be "shelling" either of them or talking about how bad they "suck." They're both very young players who are just starting their NHL careers.

The thing is, we got absolutely destroyed on face-offs yesterday but Howden gets trotted out there for every big draw and seems to lose most of them. He has not been good on them at all this year and the numbers show it, so I'm confused by Quinn here. Andersson has been good overall on draws and they had a stat yesterday the he has been winning them at 63% over the past 5 games or something. So there definitely seems to be some type of bias going on from Quinn there. It doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that Lias or Howden are that different or that one is better, I'm just saying like okay I've seen Howden have his chance with real linemates for 15 games now and I'm not impressed. I do not recall seeing him make very much at all happen offensively or have any memorable passes or plays or anything that made me say wow. So now I would like to see Lias get a chance to play with those linemates instead, as I do on a couple occasions recall saying to myself "oh nice play or nice little pass there by Lias, too bad it was to Brendan Smith." He deserves his chance because Howden has done nothing to say that he deserves to keep his spot.

• Like 1

The thing is, we got absolutely destroyed on face-offs yesterday but Howden gets trotted out there for every big draw and seems to lose most of them. He has not been good on them at all this year and the numbers show it, so I'm confused by Quinn here. Andersson has been good overall on draws and they had a stat yesterday the he has been winning them at 63% over the past 5 games or something. So there definitely seems to be some type of bias going on from Quinn there. It doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying that Lias or Howden are that different or that one is better, I'm just saying like okay I've seen Howden have his chance with real linemates for 15 games now and I'm not impressed. I do not recall seeing him make very much at all happen offensively or have any memorable passes or plays or anything that made me say wow. So now I would like to see Lias get a chance to play with those linemates instead, as I do on a couple occasions recall saying to myself "oh nice play or nice little pass there by Lias, too bad it was to Brendan Smith." He deserves his chance because Howden has done nothing to say that he deserves to keep his spot.

Respectable PoV.

I think we need to stop comparing Howden and Andersson. Andersson has missed coverage in his own end, gotten beat to the front of his own goal, or scored on his own goal in each of the last three games. I'm sorry, but Quinn isn't going to put him out there for a big face off because he's drawing at a 49% win rate. He's not reliable.

Ask yourself why it's been 63 games...Because he's...not good?

Or he’s not ready for more yet?

Or he’s not developed enough to contribute meaningfully?

Could be any of those

Could be other factors too.

Point is, I don’t know. I don’t think anyone does.

Nor do I possess a crystal ball that will show us all how this ends.

Look, they reached on him. This is established.

He wasn’t NHL ready when they said he was. This is established.

Existing returns have not been good or too encouraging. This is established.

But regardless, they picked him, he’s here.

Might as well play him and see how this plays out.

Still too early to cut bait.

Still entirely possible that he develops into something meaningful to them.

We've seen a lot more of Howden via ice time than Andersson. He hasn't offered anything offensively despite being consistently put in a position to showcase that. He's a young kid and I hope he develops into a good player for the Rangers over time. Andersson, on the other hand, has consistently not had the same time of day.

I think we need to stop comparing Howden and Andersson. Andersson has missed coverage in his own end, gotten beat to the front of his own goal, or scored on his own goal in each of the last three games. I'm sorry, but Quinn isn't going to put him out there for a big face off because he's drawing at a 49% win rate. He's not reliable.

Why can't Howden and Andersson be compared?

A deflection off of Andersson's stick is an own-goal? Really? That's just bad luck.

For what it's worth Howden has been on for two more goals against than Andersson in both 5v5 and PK play. He's also only been on the ice for 5 for versus Andersson's 2 playing with non-scorers. Andersson has been the better of the two at faceoffs in the last 6 games at 63.6%. I don't think Lias has done much to warrant a bump up but Howden doesn't do much more than seeming somewhat more engaged. He just plays a better physical game.