Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 186

Thread: Rangersí Lias Andersson Dilemma May Need Trade Resolution

  1. #1
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    88,060
    Rep Power
    494

    Rangersí Lias Andersson Dilemma May Need Trade Resolution

    Filip Chytil is getting minutes as the second-line center. Brett Howden is one of the teamís go-to guys. The youngíuns on the blue line, specifically Adam Fox, Ryan Lindgren and Libor Hajek, always seem to be on the ice in critical situations. You can make the case, in fact, that the Lindgren-Fox combo has become the teamís top pairing as Jacob Troubaís marked struggles for at least the last week have continued, if not escalated.
    So this is not about David Quinn or the organization reneging on their pledge to go as all-in as realistically possible on youth. It is about Andersson, just as it has been about the Swede since he was selected seventh-overall in the 2017 entry draft with the choice obtained from Arizona for Derek Stepan.

    There is no need to re-litigate the pick. Weíve all been over it, over and over and over again. The Rangers arenít getting a do-over. And if you want to say that itís only Anderssonís third pro season, the counterpoint is that it is already Anderssonís third pro season and he is stuck on a fourth line with pluggers rather than talented labor, and he is getting 9:54 per that includes 7:41 at even-strength. And at this point, his skills seem to have atrophied.
    There are no easy answers here with Andersson buried on the depth chart down the middle behind the injured Mika Zibanejad, Ryan Strome, Chytil and Howden. But surely this isnít it. Surely this isnít doing anyone all that much good. And you know what, dispatching Andersson to AHL Hartford (again) so he can get big-time minutes in big-time situations almost certainly isnít an answer, either.

    So at this point, perhaps it would be best for all concerned to move Andersson in a trade, but what value could he possibly carry? If the teamís semi-interest in winger Jesse Puljujarvi, currently playing in his native Finland as an unsigned Edmonton restricted free agent, escalates over the next couple of weeks, sending Andersson the other way would seem logical.

    After all, that would be an exchange of a disappointing fourth-overall for a disappointing seventh-overall. But unfortunately, Peter Chiarelli no longer sits in the Edmonton GM chair and good luck to Jeff Gorton convincing his counterpart Ken Holland that the players have equal value.
    Because whatever value Andersson has is depleted by the day. It is depleted when he canít get off the bench. It is depleted when he is stuck on a fourth line on a team that doesnít go overboard with its usage.
    https://nypost.com/2019/11/10/ranger...de-resolution/
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,361
    Rep Power
    365
    An andersson fan, but they shouldn’t trade any of these young guys. Don’t trade kids when you’re building a dynasty.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #3
    Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    TwoMinutesForNothing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    6,839
    Rep Power
    77
    I don't think he should be traded. He needs a chance at some point. I just don't understand the the Howden over Andersson thing at all.

    Like a huge question I have is why the hell is Howden our face-off specialist? He's not good at them and is only winning at 46%. Andersson and Strome are both at 49%. Some of it makes no sense.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,979
    Rep Power
    75
    I think the way they've handled Andersson as opposed to Chytil, Kravtsov and - to a lesser extent - Howden speaks volumes about how they see him.
    They were very clear going into the season that none of their prime prospects would be on the 4th line with the big club. Considering Andersson is being used exclusively as a 4th line plug, it seems very clear to me they no longer see him the way they saw the guy they picked 7th overall. I don't like it, but I think you have to be pragmatic enough to consider a trade if they truly don't believe he'll ever be more than a 4th line center/borderline 3c. I don't know that he has much value left, but if there is value there they might as well get something back for him if this is how it's going to be.

  5. #5
    Member Mite Division nyckrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    1
    I'm very disappointed with how they are "developing" Anderson. I believe he has a lot of potential and should excel, however he just cannot seem to find a way to get out of DQ's doghouse.

    This one I blame on DQ.

    NYCKrash......LGR

  6. #6
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    79,019
    Rep Power
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I think the way they've handled Andersson as opposed to Chytil, Kravtsov and - to a lesser extent - Howden speaks volumes about how they see him.
    They were very clear going into the season that none of their prime prospects would be on the 4th line with the big club. Considering Andersson is being used exclusively as a 4th line plug, it seems very clear to me they no longer see him the way they saw the guy they picked 7th overall. I don't like it, but I think you have to be pragmatic enough to consider a trade if they truly don't believe he'll ever be more than a 4th line center/borderline 3c. I don't know that he has much value left, but if there is value there they might as well get something back for him if this is how it's going to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyckrash View Post
    I'm very disappointed with how they are "developing" Anderson. I believe he has a lot of potential and should excel, however he just cannot seem to find a way to get out of DQ's doghouse.

    This one I blame on DQ.

    NYCKrash......LGR
    What potential does he have? He was never a big time scorer, anywhere or in in any tournament, to my knowledge.

    What should he be excelling at? Average speed, average shot, average playmaking ability ... All at the time of the draft.

    Why is it on DQ? He's playing alllllll the kids in key situations and the only one who isn't is in Russia because we flat out wasn't ready.

    If you want to question Howden over Andersson that's fine, but all you're really doing is complaining that DQ isn't playing the kids YOU want him to play... That's not the same. Neither one of these guys are great, but at least you know Howden was in the game. Andersson doesn't know what color the puck is because he doesn't touch it.

    What I want to know is, where's the pissed off kid that threw the medal (minus the immaturity)? Where's the kid who shows some fight when he's losing? Maybe that's what DQ is waiting for, and not the shell who glides around aimlessly not moving his feet. Watch the 4th line closely. He's literally the only one not skating. And if the reply is "well I wouldn't skate either if I was with 4th line scrubs" then my answer is that HE is currently a 4th line scrub.

    He shouldn't be traded because he's a young, cost controlled bottom 6 player. Those are the "danger zone" contracts where you typically overpay. No need to move him. He's a fine 4th line center.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,242
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What potential does he have? He was never a big time scorer, anywhere or in in any tournament, to my knowledge.

    What should he be excelling at? Average speed, average shot, average playmaking ability ... All at the time of the draft.

    Why is it on DQ? He's playing alllllll the kids in key situations and the only one who isn't is in Russia because we flat out wasn't ready.

    If you want to question Howden over Andersson that's fine, but all you're really doing is complaining that DQ isn't playing the kids YOU want him to play... That's not the same. Neither one of these guys are great, but at least you know Howden was in the game. Andersson doesn't know what color the puck is because he doesn't touch it.

    What I want to know is, where's the pissed off kid that threw the medal (minus the immaturity)? Where's the kid who shows some fight when he's losing? Maybe that's what DQ is waiting for, and not the shell who glides around aimlessly not moving his feet. Watch the 4th line closely. He's literally the only one not skating. And if the reply is "well I wouldn't skate either if I was with 4th line scrubs" then my answer is that HE is currently a 4th line scrub.

    He shouldn't be traded because he's a young, cost controlled bottom 6 player. Those are the "danger zone" contracts where you typically overpay. No need to move him. He's a fine 4th line center.
    Not happy for what you are saying ,but it's pretty much the truth ,it sucks

  8. #8
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,029
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    I don't think he should be traded. He needs a chance at some point. I just don't understand the the Howden over Andersson thing at all.

    Like a huge question I have is why the hell is Howden our face-off specialist? He's not good at them and is only winning at 46%. Andersson and Strome are both at 49%. Some of it makes no sense.
    Right. Very valid question. We all know Andersson hasn't busted down the door to force Quinn's hand to move him up, but we also know Howden has been pretty much a dud almost everywhere on the ice with a lot more ice time. He hasn't earned "3rd line cog status" whatsoever. What is the problem with trying different line combinations rather than trotting the same stuff out that isn't working? The 3rd line is a black hole because of one player - Howden. At some point you have to try new things, but it's easier for some posters to rail against Andersson than answer the tough questions about players undeservedly ahead of him on the depth chart.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    RangersIn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Battle Creek MI
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    24
    Larry Brooks filling inches
    That’s all

    Not sure I see a “dilemma”

  10. #10
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    79,019
    Rep Power
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Right. Very valid question. We all know Andersson hasn't busted down the door to force Quinn's hand to move him up, but we also know Howden has been pretty much a dud almost everywhere on the ice with a lot more ice time. He hasn't earned "3rd line cog status" whatsoever. What is the problem with trying different line combinations rather than trotting the same stuff out that isn't working? The 3rd line is a black hole because of one player - Howden. At some point you have to try new things, but it's easier for some posters to rail against Andersson than answer the tough questions about players undeservedly ahead of him on the depth chart.
    Hard to say a line isn't working when Lemiuex and arguably Kakko have played their best games on that line.

    I'd like to see the numbers that either support or debunk that observation, I don't have time to look.

    Your last sentence is kind of hypocritical since I can easily swap Howden and Andersson and the sentence is the same: It's easier for some posters to rail against Howden than answer the tough question about what Andersson has done to deserve a promotion.

    Let's remove Howden from the conversation and let Andersson play speak for itself? If the only reason he's getting a look is because Howden is trash, then that doesn't mean Andersson isn't also trash. It's like folks are trying very hard to justify or salvage what has turned into a bust pick.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Midget Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3,029
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hard to say a line isn't working when Lemiuex and arguably Kakko have played their best games on that line.

    I'd like to see the numbers that either support or debunk that observation, I don't have time to look.

    Your last sentence is kind of hypocritical since I can easily swap Howden and Andersson and the sentence is the same: It's easier for some posters to rail against Howden than answer the tough question about what Andersson has done to deserve a promotion.

    Let's remove Howden from the conversation and let Andersson play speak for itself? If the only reason he's getting a look is because Howden is trash, then that doesn't mean Andersson isn't also trash. It's like folks are trying very hard to justify or salvage what has turned into a bust pick.
    You're too hung up on the names being discussed because of your vendetta against Andersson. Lemieux and Kakko's damage has been done when playing away from Howden, largely on the powerplay.

    Forget that it's Andersson and forget that it's Howden for a second. What should a coach do when lines aren't working? Change them up. Try new things in an attempt to find chemistry between linemates.

  12. #12
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,630
    Rep Power
    334
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hard to say a line isn't working when Lemiuex and arguably Kakko have played their best games on that line.

    I'd like to see the numbers that either support or debunk that observation, I don't have time to look.

    Your last sentence is kind of hypocritical since I can easily swap Howden and Andersson and the sentence is the same: It's easier for some posters to rail against Howden than answer the tough question about what Andersson has done to deserve a promotion.

    Let's remove Howden from the conversation and let Andersson play speak for itself? If the only reason he's getting a look is because Howden is trash, then that doesn't mean Andersson isn't also trash. It's like folks are trying very hard to justify or salvage what has turned into a bust pick.
    I think he is now almost certainly a bust if expectations were a 50-60 point C, but there's a lot of room between that threshold and not being a useful NHL player.

    There's all kinds of misses in the 1st round, as we well know, so it wasn't hard for me to get over it, especially in a draft like that.

  13. #13
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    79,019
    Rep Power
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    You're too hung up on the names being discussed because of your vendetta against Andersson. Lemieux and Kakko's damage has been done when playing away from Howden, largely on the powerplay.

    Forget that it's Andersson and forget that it's Howden for a second. What should a coach do when lines aren't working? Change them up. Try new things in an attempt to find chemistry between linemates.
    I don't have a vendetta against anyone. Andersson sucks. So does Howden. I've said that before. He sucks independent of what I think. The fact is he is bad, the result is I say "he sucks".

    I've also said when two players suck and one gets more ice time, we've got to assume one is doing something to distinguish himself and the other isn't.

    That said, there's no reason to take names out of it, but if you wanted to... What change would be expected from swapping 2 shitty players?

    This is another reason rebuilding in NY is challenging. Fans think players should be gifted roles based on draft position. Happened with Kravtsov, too, also largely underwhelming...but he should get a spot because talent/9th pick.

  14. #14
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    79,019
    Rep Power
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I think he is now almost certainly a bust if expectations were a 50-60 point C, but there's a lot of room between that threshold and not being a useful NHL player.

    There's all kinds of misses in the 1st round, as we well know, so it wasn't hard for me to get over it, especially in a draft like that.
    Agree, that's why I'm not on board with trading him. Let him develop into the bottom six center he's going to be.

  15. #15
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    88,060
    Rep Power
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What potential does he have? He was never a big time scorer, anywhere or in in any tournament, to my knowledge.

    What should he be excelling at? Average speed, average shot, average playmaking ability ... All at the time of the draft.

    Why is it on DQ? He's playing alllllll the kids in key situations and the only one who isn't is in Russia because we flat out wasn't ready.

    If you want to question Howden over Andersson that's fine, but all you're really doing is complaining that DQ isn't playing the kids YOU want him to play... That's not the same. Neither one of these guys are great, but at least you know Howden was in the game. Andersson doesn't know what color the puck is because he doesn't touch it.

    What I want to know is, where's the pissed off kid that threw the medal (minus the immaturity)? Where's the kid who shows some fight when he's losing? Maybe that's what DQ is waiting for, and not the shell who glides around aimlessly not moving his feet. Watch the 4th line closely. He's literally the only one not skating. And if the reply is "well I wouldn't skate either if I was with 4th line scrubs" then my answer is that HE is currently a 4th line scrub.

    He shouldn't be traded because he's a young, cost controlled bottom 6 player. Those are the "danger zone" contracts where you typically overpay. No need to move him. He's a fine 4th line center.


    Though I'm not sure I agree about the "he shouldn't be traded because he's young and cost-controlled," thing. Cost-control is a positive, for sure, but if you can flip him in a "my problem for yours" (say for Pajamas out of Edmonton), I think that's more than reasonable.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  16. #16
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    88,060
    Rep Power
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by RangersIn7 View Post
    Larry Brooks filling inches
    That’s all

    Not sure I see a “dilemma”
    He doesn't write the headlines. Read the column. Those are his words.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #17
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,630
    Rep Power
    334
    Many in that draft are just getting their feet wet, too.

    How much higher would his trade value be if they had just left him in Sweden? I don't totally agree with their player development strategy. It's all over the place.

  18. #18
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    79,019
    Rep Power
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Many in that draft are just getting their feet wet, too.

    How much higher would his trade value be if they had just left him in Sweden? I don't totally agree with their player development strategy. It's all over the place.
    Is it? Seems to me their strategy is get them in the North American system early.

    You can agree or not (not sure I do), but it seems consistent?

  19. #19
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,361
    Rep Power
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hard to say a line isn't working when Lemiuex and arguably Kakko have played their best games on that line.

    I'd like to see the numbers that either support or debunk that observation, I don't have time to look.

    Your last sentence is kind of hypocritical since I can easily swap Howden and Andersson and the sentence is the same: It's easier for some posters to rail against Howden than answer the tough question about what Andersson has done to deserve a promotion.

    Let's remove Howden from the conversation and let Andersson play speak for itself? If the only reason he's getting a look is because Howden is trash, then that doesn't mean Andersson isn't also trash. It's like folks are trying very hard to justify or salvage what has turned into a bust pick.
    I notice Kakko on the PP, and Lemieux when hes on the PP or PK. That line, overall, has been pretty weak, usually buried in their own end.

    Last 7 games at even strength
    Lemieux 1 A, -2
    Howden 0pts, -3
    Kakko 1G
    Last edited by josh; 11-11-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  20. #20
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Gunnar Stahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    608
    Rep Power
    16
    I still dont know why we drafted him so high. He's a decent role player I think on a lower line but thats it.

    https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...anderli01.html

    Obviously ignoring the Wolfpac stats, but there's absolutely nothing here that screams 7th overall pick.
    I don't always back check, but when I do, I follow it up with a nasty wrister from a tight angle. Stay filthy, my friends. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •