• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lias Andersson Leaves the Team; Requests Trade

Phil

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Midseason break; front office has the trade considerations.

But the coaching staff has to figure out why this team REFUSES to take open shots nor pick up their man in the D zone. Talking bout it is one, thing, watching the same crap night after night, that's a problem. And what ever happens with trades, why so many young players with this franchise seem to get waaaaay too comfortable gliding here. What is the problem with their instruction that you get efforts like this shit? Again, if you can defense Zib and Panarin, you have little to worry about when you play the NYR.

I do as well. I'm glad JD was able to talk to him directly but I don't see any way he plays another game on Broadway.

A lot can change in 7-8 months.

I still think he probably gets dealt, but I think they’d want to get him back in NA first and playing in the organization again before that happens.

Who knows

This will take some time either way and there is absolutely no rush

Let him play overseas. See if he can turn his value around, either for the team or via trade. His value is so low, you are better off holding on to him, at this point.

My feelings exactly

Keep a dialogue open with him, let him play somewhere over there and see what happens

No reason to rush this

• 3 weeks later...

From Pronman's 10 prospects who might be on the move this deadline.

Lias Andersson, C, New York Rangers

Andersson, the seventh overall pick in 2017, is a player on the market right now but given the Rangers aren’t a true buyer, he may be a player best suited for an offseason deal. Andersson has some NHL interest right now. The debate among scouts is whether he’s a third or fourth-line center. His positives are he’s a highly competitive two-way center with great hockey sense. Inside the offensive zone, he can make plays due to his vision. However, he’s an average skater with good-not-great skill and isn’t the biggest player either. I lean more to a projected fourth-line forward right now.

The bold bit is interesting. I wonder who that might be, and what they can expect in return.

https://theathletic.com/1602523/2020/02/13/pronman-10-nhl-prospects-who-could-be-on-the-move-at-the-trade-deadline/

From Pronman's 10 prospects who might be on the move this deadline.

The bold bit is interesting. I wonder who that might be, and what they can expect in return.

https://theathletic.com/1602523/2020/02/13/pronman-10-nhl-prospects-who-could-be-on-the-move-at-the-trade-deadline/

I haven't noticed the "great hockey sense" that Pronman does. Maybe it's because the speed and skill are too low to see it.

How the scouts had this kid in the late first round is astounding.

How the Rangers picked him at 7... Is criminal. Someone should be fired.

Because he produced liked one. It would be more astounding if someone with his pre-draft production didn't get selected in the first round. We're all geniuses in hindsight.

Not even late first. Most of the usual suspects had him mid-round, which is pretty mindblowing.

I'm absolutely, unequivocally certain that the Rangers traded up thinking Pettersson would be there and panicked when the Canucks took him.

That said, 2017 is going to go down as a weird draft. After the top 5, the talent fell off a cliff with a few exceptions (Necas, Suzuki, apparently Yamamoto, Chytil, Thomas). The picks immediately after Andersson look like complete busts too. It's still early, but it's not looking like this is a draft that's going to produce a ton of decent NHLers.

Andersson was listed as the safest pick. He's making the NHL, he's probably a mid-six center. Both of those things are probably still true, though with more certainty that he's a third line center at best.

Goes to show drafting is 100% a crapshoot. Lesson to learn is that dumping all our actual NHL players for projected NHL players is a huge risk.
I don't know that I'd call it 100% crap shoot. There are stats out there about the likelihood of top ten, middle ten, late first rounders becoming NHL contributors.

The thing is in a cap league you can't just keep all your players. The ones who are good enough to keep, you wouldn't be able to afford under a cap. Every team needs young cost controlled talent and you get it through the draft.

I'm pretty sure when you say "projected NHL players" you mean picks and not post draft prospects. In the 2-3 years post draft it's pretty easy to see who projects to be an NHLer vs not. But I get your point. All trades have risks to be weighed.